• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

passive night vision detector?

persistant7500

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Buckeye AZ
do they make a device that detects night vision equipment. I caught a person roaming behind my house the other night (area is close to a crossing used by smugglers). I know that when you spot another NV device that you see a bright green flash, I want to see that without the other unit see the flash from me. I know I saw a monocular type device in his hands as a booked ass away, I want a better way to detect him than by accident next time.

Re: passive night vision detector?

No. If they are using active IR illumination to light up their area you can see that with your NVD but the units don't "passively" see each other. As far as the green flash, your NVD might pick up the illumination coming from their device if they are exercising poor light discipline by holding it in their hands or off of their face while on but there isn't such a thing (that I have ever seen) that "detects" other NVD's passively.

the dogs are the ones who told me I had a prob. but I need to be able to spot that --shole without lighting up half the desert and giving my own position away. The sheriff dept, response time can be measured on a calender. Had someone kill one of my dogs a couple years ago, and they showed up the next day and wanted to investigate me more than the crime. So screw em

Night Vision is generally a passive system that just takes in and enhances light. As mentiioned above, if someone is using an IR light to further enhance their night optic, you can see that clear as day with a Toys R Us night vision optic, but if you just want to see if someone else has passive NODs, you are out of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get Thermal </div></div>

BINGO!

Or set trip wires connected to something charged with flash powder and blind the MF'er.

IR based NODs can see other IR Based NODs when the detected NOD is either radiating IR by use of an IR illuminator, OR as mentioned, if the person using them doesn't turn them off when they are not stuck to your face.

If I were in your shoes I would get a good thermal unit, do some daylight tracking and setup some harmless surprises on likely avenues of approach.

Trail cameras' flashes are very easy to spot with a NOD though.

I will look into IR and I have a couple trusted neighbors who I will work with to try to pattern them. With our sheriff getting sued for arresting illegals every time we turn around I can only hope they actually use the info I give them. I showed them an area with a lot of black backpacks a while back but I don't think they did much investigation.

After you identify the "trail", get yourself some treble hooks and some monofilament line. Figure out the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get Thermal </div></div>

BINGO!

Or set trip wires connected to something charged with flash powder and blind the MF'er. </div></div>

Flashbangs would work too. If only...

I'd suggest that any aggressive counter measures may bring more problems than they solve. A silent, passive approach has its better points. The nail that stands up gets the hammer, and there are a lot of hammers at work along the border. Some work within the law, some don't. Don't be <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> guy.

If contacting state or county resources have issues that make them less attractive, consider opening a dialogue with Federal Border Control Agencies.

In any case, it could help to provide some form of solid intel to back up your request for law enforecement assistance.

If I were LE, I believe I would be suspicious of unsolicited, uncoordinated private efforts to assist official law enforcement agencies in their work.

Their issues and goals usually go beyond your individual wishes.

Keep in mind that not everybody who's running around the borderland in the dark are bad guys. Nasty surprises may hurt an ally, and/or bring a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">nasty</span> lethal or legal backlash.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get Thermal </div></div>

BINGO!

Or set trip wires connected to something charged with flash powder and blind the MF'er. </div></div>

Flashbangs would work too. If only... </div></div>

Flashbangs are made of flash powder. They are controlled but they are also incredibly easy to make. But like Greg said don't be the tallest nail.