• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Patagonia Ballistics LB3 is now ColdBore !

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Hey just wanted to drop a note here to let everyone know, Patagonia Ballistics who developed LoadBase 3.0 now has a new updated version and it is changing over to the Name:

<span style="font-weight: bold">ColdBore 1.0 </span>

I have added Coldbore to my Laptop and Nomad PDA and will start using it this week.

Several added feature including the ability to move data between your PDA and your Desktop. This is a Windows Based program. The benefit of this is, creating your basic tracks. Instead of having to build a track (database entry) on your tiny PDA soft keyboard you can now build all your tracks on the computer with your desktop program and then transfer that data over to the PDA ahead of time. (Prior proper planning and all) Sync'ing your data via the logbook entries or builds is simple. Also you can sync in both directions so any data added to the logbook can be brought into the desktop to be analyzed later.

Also, soon to be release, a Windows Phone based program, so the Mobile software will work with a Windows Phone.

Much of the controls are the same, I will say updating was super smooth and that is coming from a non-Windows user who hates using it. This time it was super easy to get both the desktop and PDA up and running with Coldbore.

Patagonia Ballistics engines is treat it to use, it's accurate, robust and works well no matter the curve you are using. You do not find big swings in data regardless of whether you use G1 or G7 because the ColdBore engine is designed to work regardless of the model. Like we are seeing now with custom curves, this software was doing it since the beginning.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ColdBore</span> like LoadBase has a huge library of data, so if you are new to a cartridge, you'll find a ton information> There are also some excellent tactical considerations in the program like the Loophole solution (LAS) and the Hit Probability / Danger Space for engaging UKD Targets. It also highlights the solution in red if you are going Sub Sonic so you visually know before shooting.

Charts, graphs, and reticle holds, to name a few of the features. And you can create your own custom Density Altitude Charts based off your load.

This software is not chip based but loaded on to the PDA so you can use any Windows Mobile based device, from an inexpensive iPaQ to a Trimble Recon or Nomad. It has GPS integration and Kestrel connectivity among other features.

Re: Patagonia Ballistics LB3 is now ColdBore !

So is this a free upgrade to people like me who already own Loadbase 3.0, or something totally new requiring re-purchase?

Is LB3 going to continue to be supported or is this a migration to ColdBore ?

The told me it is not possible to upgrade from LB3. It is a new desktop/mobile that relies on data not compatible with LB3.

Ouch!

I'm hoping LL can work a deal for us Hide members with 3.0 licenses.

Windows mobile is on the way out - the sooner the Windows phone OS is supported, the better this will be.

Windows phones are what % of the market?

IOS and Android own it

Lowlight,

any more comments in reference to Coldbore 1.0?

Thanks.

Alright folks, since I have been for a long time a LoadBase guy, I
    continue being interested in Patagonia Ballistics products.
    So far this is the information I have for CB1 = Coldbore 1.0

· LB3 will not continue to be updated (Desktop & Mobile)
    · CB1 uses another technology to manage data
    · This is 100% incompatible to LB3's
    · CB1 is the way to PHONE for WP7
    · If you have LB3 updated to the latest version, the features are similar to CB1
    · CB1 is the current product and the one that will continue to be updated
    · CB1 is not an update/upgrade of LB3
    · The licensing system of CB1 is completely different from LB3's

Good day!

Thanks Eaglet. Way more informative than a cut and paste sales pitch.

I have no plans to upgrade. I don't particularly like the software, and really don't like the licensing, returns and upgrade policies.

jAXDIALATION,

It was on August of 2007 that I purchased LoadBase 2.0, that's been
    about 4 year and 9 months.

For almost 5 years, I (and others as well) have had a bunch of free updates/upgrades and amazing support, which was suppose to be for 3 months.

Aside from all that, feature by feature their product is very hard to surpass. I know because I'm a ballistics software junkie
    and look into anything I can find, try and or buy.

All that to say I respect your position, of course, but I can't complaint and have nothing to dislike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does not mention price for upgrade. I am curious about price also. </div></div>
    You can check it here.
    Patagonia Ballistics

What's the go with Patagonia. I purchased the new ColdBore1 from them last night at 9pm and had to wait for the email from them to verify that i paid so i could down load the programs and than install the programs so i can get the authorisation code so i can email them that code to get the verification code so i can actually activate and use the fkn program....well Its now 8:15pm a day later and I've paid my $150 and still have no ColdBore1 program final activation code...... I'm not a happy camper, i don't like to wait for shit I've paid for. It better be the ducks nuts for the run around you have to go through to get it.I hope its my stuff up and will post the progress of this epic install....lol

It tells you right on their website how they'll get back to you within 5 days which most of the time takes place within a couple of hours. On top of that, I believe there is more than 12 hrs difference in time and your payment may have fallen on Sunday.

In any event I believe your're in the wrong by posting like you did and not waiting the time agreed upon. When you pay and having all the info. in front of you you're agreeing to it.

It surely would destroy someone else's reputation and credibility.

Sorry I'm just not use to "personal service" its usually automated normally. Its all sorted now after a dozen or so email's getting the right email's and info/codes to the specific email address. As i said in my post "i hope its my stuff up" and in a way it was for not wanting to wait for the product, but i think they may want to try work out a way to deliver there product to there customers a little easier....... Just a thought. You have to admit its a bit of a mission to install compared to most others. Pay the money and wait for an email...... install the program and get the user key.....email the "registration department" and wait for the vairification code. Add in a bit of time of time line differences and it starts to suck waiting for it. I have exbal, ballistic FTE and Bullet flight and was expecting it to be like those as far as install. But again it's my fult for being impatient.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 64C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... You have to admit its a bit of a mission to install compared to most others. </div></div>

I admit it's different but also pretty strait forward. You get a link, download the application, install it by double clicking on the file, after installed run the application which computes a registration user key which you copy and then paste to send back to Patagonia. Patagonia creates a License Key for you and when you get it you run the program again, key in the values from the license key and you're in business.

There may be some extra steps depending on what you system has or doesn't have.

You're right, it's a bit of a challenge, but this application is so awesome you'll need all the challenge and positive attitude to get the best out of it. Being a ballistics software junkie as I have said before, this is money well spent.

64C, you'll get great support from Patagonia but if you feel you need a bit more help you may PM me, later I'd give you my personal e-mail, I'm still learning it but I enjoy to help in anything I can.

Have a great day!

Re-reading the above posts I thought it was important to say that
    one thing is a OTA (Over The Air) to install on iPhone or Android (through a marketplace) and quite another is to install using a setup file.

Thanks.

And you get to repeat this bs if you move the app. Try to return it lol

There are plenty of good programs out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 64C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the go with Patagonia. I purchased the new ColdBore1 from them last night at 9pm and had to wait for the email from them to verify that i paid so i could down load the programs and than install the programs so i can get the authorisation code so i can email them that code to get the verification code so i can actually activate and use the fkn program....well Its now 8:15pm a day later and I've paid my $150 and still have no ColdBore1 program final activation code...... I'm not a happy camper, i don't like to wait for shit I've paid for. It better be the ducks nuts for the run around you have to go through to get it.I hope its my stuff up and will post the progress of this epic install....lol </div></div>

Hey does anyone have mobile update.exe files for loadbase 6,7,8 or 9. I didn't do the updates in a timely manner and am at update 5 revision.

Thanks
    Jim

I'd give you my entire license for free. But the license doesn't permit it.

I downloaded ColdBore 1.0 desktop edition.

Silly question, I may have missed this, but I don't see a tab under ballistics for a field firing solution. For example, ranged target at 380 yards, the mil drop/correction is what?

I also don't see how to correct for BC and/or velocity. For example, my measure velocity was this, the firing solution said I should dial up 5.6mils but the actual mil adjustment was 5.7 mils, so my velocity was a little slower than measured. But then at a further distance the mil correction is this, etc...so my bullet BC was a little off and corrects at whatever.

Thanks for you help.

Go back into your track and adjust it... published BCs are often wrong so small BC adjustments for ranges inside 1000 yards are common, after you can start looking at velocity.

You also have the DK value in there, but that you really don't adjust unless you are shooting past 1000- and then, tiny changes to the DK. The BC should be the first number adjusted, then velocity.

Lowlight,

Okay, I understand what you mean and know how to adjust the BC and velocity but was wondering if there is a function like on shooter that recalculates your true velocity with actual drop, I guess the answer is no.

When you say DK, you mean drag coefficient? If so, I understand.

So I go to ballistics, then database, send data to track 1. Once recalled, I go to result 1 tab and I can see my drop in inches at 5 yards increments. But is there a way to change to output to read in mils instead of inches? Like for a field DOPE chart? I see how to do it on the DA solution under data tab change to MRAD, but don't see the same for Result-1 tab.
    Thanks.

ps, in the ColdBore Desktop there is a link to the user manual.

Some of what you are asking is pretty basic, like changing the drop from inches to mils. That is hour one stuff if you read the user manual. It's in there, same with the PDA, you can hold down the value and it will circle and give you an option to change it.

ColdBore is pretty darn robust, so reading manual and seeing where its important to use each section will help you get the most out of it.

Robust is correct. Just starting to use it and digging into it's functions. Amazing amount of variables you can adjust, and very complete. I've been using a Mac for some thing now, and getting back to a PC and the data inputs/format is a little different.

Thanks for your help.

Plus also figured out that my screen resolution was set so that when I scrolled down on a tab it cut off the top and I could not find some options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Eaglet. Way more informative than a cut and paste sales pitch.

I have no plans to upgrade. I don't particularly like the software, and really don't like the licensing, returns and upgrade policies.

</div></div>

I kind of agree with you. I have LB3 but hate the licence approach as I am now stuck using it on old hardware and I know that if I buy Coldbore then in the future all support / upgrades will be dropped with the launch of whatever their next software is. I will buy FFS next.

Yeah, its too bad about the support and licensing approach.

I have FFS. I friend of mine saw FFS on my PDA and became really interested in the Penja engine, and PDA solution. FFS costs more than he wants to spend, so I receommended he check out Coldbore. He has a science background, and I figured the PDA/Desktop combo would be perfect for him, since the desktop would allow for lots of analysis.

After reading feedback on the hide, it became appareant that support is all via email, and only provided for 3 months. Even worse, you can't transfer the license from one device to another after the 3 months.

My friend had planned on buying a 2nd PDA as backup. The licensing wont work for him unfortunately. If his PDA dies, he would need to buy another license for it. WTH???

I am guessing Patagonia would sell more copies of thier software if the licencing was different. It's too bad since they seem to have a good product.

LowLight
    How well does the hit probability work on CB1?

hi this sounds like a good upgrade. does it operate on cosine angles or just degrees like most of the newer programs? I don't want to change to ADI

Operates on both, which ever one you need

Probably I've not read carefully the manual.. I'll check later.

but the first approach I do is ... let me know how the system is user friendly, is not the right approach but sometimes works well..
    Some people doesn't have time to read the manual or doesn't want to read ( not me ) ...

Kestrel connection.. my Regional setting in my Nomad is for Italian metric.

start CB1 but this is the first issue, I've to come back to English setting

CBk12.jpg

kestrel page, I read kestrel is ready to use COM8

CB1k1.jpg

I hit device>start

CB1k2.jpg

and I've this message

CB1k3.jpg

I hit again device>com and I select again COM8

CB1k4.jpg

and I've this message, the kestrel is connected to COM8

CB1k6.jpg

to have the info, I've to hit commands>Data Stream, and I've the info displaied

CB1k7.jpg

info, esactly in metric how my kestrel is set

CB1k8.jpg

now I can finally chose Data Transfer ...to have info for other modules..I close the kestrel module and I open the Ballistic Module and I've this info

CB112.jpg

why in the ballistic module I've info in imperial if my kestrel is set for metric ?.... in the kestrel module I can see it in metric.....

If I put kestrel module off....same things..

ok...this approach is probably wrong, better to go back and read careffully the manual, I miss somethings for sure.... but I know people that doesn't read the manual ..never, for this reasons people say.....electronice device doesn't work..

I do not agree.... but the most do thing in this manner....

I think there are some points regarding the licensing of FFS and CB1 that should be clarified.

FFS cannot run, at the same time, on a second PDA unless a second card is purchased and upgrades are not free.

FFS pricing and upgrades terms here

http://www.precisionworkbench.com/Delta5.html

Purchase price is $ 395 while upgrades go from $125 to $325 depending on product and options.

And updates are not for free either.

“Delta V ver. 4.7 and earlier to Delta V ver 4.8 $45 (Updates existing SD Card; card must be returned for update)”

CB1 ( PC version), can be transferred, at no extra cost, to another PC provided the primary PC is unlicensed (see Manual).

For less than half the price of FFS you can purchase <span style="font-weight: bold">CB1 (PC and PDA) for $150 or $85 if you want to run just an specific platform, and updates are 100% free of charge.</span>

Given the huge purchasing price difference, you can buy up to almost five licenses of CB1, just in case a backup PDA is needed. In my book that’s very important.

In the end is up to the customer to see what product fits better its planned use, but just in terms of pricing, licensing and platforms (PC and PDA that sync together), CB1 is a better choice for my budget and needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably I've not read carefully the manual.. I'll check later.</div></div>

Yes, need to read the manual!

1) Your Kestrel is in metric units, that's fine.
    2) However, the Ballistics module is in English Units...
    3) So, CB1 is smart enough to realize that and therefore passes the values in the units that are currently being used.

Hello Eaglet ...

Probably you are right, I did it but probably I miss something, I create a track for my load in metric unit, I'm not able to see at present time where in the ballistic module I can set metric or English units, ( probably my fault )

I recall this track, I connect the Kestrel with the same issue, com8 is to imput twice to be recognice, after kestrel data available I've to hit Data Transfer ( not available before )
    I've to close the kestrel module and open ballistic in the enviroment I've mixed data.....wonderful !!

CB11sightin.jpg

Cb1k.jpg

CB1datamxed.jpg

I'm able to see you are using same arguments of an other nick that wrote on an Italian forum, the nick is .375CT ip address from Argentina, if I remember well in the past you wrote something about me because you read my rewiev on this forum...

Eaglet are you from Nevada or from Argentina ?
    cool.gif

same things about how kestrel module is better, how the price is better...... and much more.

the solutions are pretty the same about FFS and CB1, a lot was written about this here....

but sorry..... CB1 is better for analysis at home, FFS for field use.

Italian forum link...... http://www.tirolungadistanza.it/forum/index.php?topic=6382.0

now the topic is locked...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eaglet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there are some points regarding the licensing of FFS and CB1 that should be clarified.

FFS cannot run, at the same time, on a second PDA unless a second card is purchased and upgrades are not free.

In the end is up to the customer to see what product fits better its planned use, but just in terms of pricing, licensing and platforms (PC and PDA that sync together), CB1 is a better choice for my budget and needs. </div></div>

about above true... but if my PDA is broken or with the battery out of service I can put my card in an other one PDA..

same thing for licensing and platform..... budget and needs..

Patagonia support sent yesterday the new upgrade, may be the discussion on Italian forum was helpful for this...
    whistle.gif

This update incorporates the following additions:

BALLISTICS Module

The maximum range has been extended to 3500 yards/meters

GPS/TARGTES Module

A new feature has been introduced that allows to transfer a TARGET position as obtained in the MAPPING/COORDS sub tab to MAPPING/RANGING and TARGETS/STORE-EDIT sub tabs.

<span style="color: #FF0000">PS I'll stay tuned for future upgrade, because who shoot and use ballistic software at home or in the field is able to see what is works properly ...and what doesn't works......

theory with the legs under the table is a different matter...

so I'll wait for nest step....canting, 72 ellipsoids and incline shots.....</span>
    smile.gif

about canting .. who measure the angle ? ( in the picture is easy ) in other situations may be 34 degrees or 78.....who put info into the PDA ? and after the solutions who moves the turrets ? because we have to stay carefully freeze..... may be the angle could change from 34 to 43.....
    cool.gif

eaglet.jpg

also a friend of mine ( CB1 user ) has the same issue with kestrel connection.....he has to do it twice.....

and the same problem, metric data in kestrel module ( same of kestrel set up ) and mixed data in other modules...

this because CB1 is not able to manage metric...

so we will wait a new upgrade......

what I see is that the Kestrel super module .....is not so super.......
    cool.gif

Here is the Kestrel answer, it is in the manual

The Manual clear explains that

1) The decimal separator must be a DOT.
    2) The Kestrel unit is set in METRIC units, so CB1 displays them accordingly.
    3) Those are the values you are getting in the right units as set by the user.
    4) Now, the units you choose in the BALLISTICS module are ENGLISH
    5) So the program displays them according to what they are actually has set
    6) If you set the Temperature in Celsius, automatically (once a second) the feed will show Temp in the now chosen units…

You have to read it, then it becomes clear.

this is what was written on another forum:

In CB1:

• Kestrel® units are automatically decoded and parsed.
    • No need for the user to indicate what units is the Kestrel® working with.
    • Each module (ANALYZER, BALLISTICS and LOGBOOK) receiving the data does not need to change any units.
    • The user can use the Kestrel® with units that are different from those set in the modules.
    • The user can perform other operations such as clearing the log, getting the device ID and info, etc.
    • The data stream is sampled at a rate of 1000 milliseconds, while in “Loop mode”
    • The user does not need, after pairing the PDA with the Kestrel®, to “select and try” any data port.
    • Detection and selection is automatically performed by the program.
    • Multithreading programming for real-time performance and no UI degradation.

Now, in FFS...nothing of the above happens...

Indeed you need to "teach" FFS what units are you receiving from the Kestrel...which leads to countless errors due to operator confusion. Not so "tactical"...

And of course, all the relevant data is automatically sent to other Modules, like Ballistics, Analyzer, etc

<span style="color: #FF0000">Now what I see is:

to have indications I've to do the connection twice, see screenshot.

I've to hit 3 keys..
    I've to hit Data Transfer......
    I've to change manually the other field because all the metric units are only set in the kestrel page......

a lot of work...... this is what I see, and this because CB1 doesn't work with different Regional settings...

if I've to teach FFS..CB1 need to teach double...... </span>
    smile.gif

Is it possible it is a bug in the NOMAD which is why it is not working as seamlessly ?

Maybe it is a communication error within Windows or the Trimble ?

may be...I don't know, but with CB1 I've found a lot of bugs..

do you have different screen shots with yours ?

Honestly,

I just fired mine up and tried it and it connected immediately and reads exactly the same as my Kestrel ?

My screen does look a bit different than yours, but I had no issue at all... once the data stream connects it was all good.

I did make sure my Kestrel was showing paired in Windows before starting CB1, but I have no issues, do you want me to change a setting to see ?

Davide, you say CB1 range is now extended to 3500 yards. That's good to know but probably worth noting that in the LB3 user manual it says "It is important to note that predicting accurate downrange values past the 3,000 yards/meters limit, is almost impossible."

3100 was possible...perhaps 3500 is a stretch too far.

yes...try please.....

Nomad regional settings English USA.

Kestrel Metric unit, Celsius, Km/h, Hpa

start CB1 connect Kestrel......

in the kestrel module you will see the same data ( kestrel )

hit Ballistic>data.......and tell me what you see

thanks....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Davide, you say CB1 range is now extended to 3500 yards. That's good to know but probably worth noting that in the LB3 user manual it says "It is important to note that predicting accurate downrange values past the 3,000 yards/meters limit, is almost impossible."

3100 was possible...perhaps 3500 is a stretch too far. </div></div>

I agree... but this is done to have the possibility to write 3080 y

Okay,

So I turned on the kestrel, started the stream and it showed the same data as the kestrel Metric units on that page.

Then went into Data, it was Imperial until I just held the stylus to the top units and changed them and it changed the field conditions right to the same as the kestrel, it was literally 3 seconds for each unit.

You just hold the stylus down on the units above the field conditions and change it and it changes it to the kestrel units.

Only needed to do it once and it immediately read Metric across the board.

No Drama at all,