• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Patches. I have these synthetic ones, what is best

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
I'm just using the synthetic square patches that came with cleaning kits.

But I see knit ones, cotton ones, etc.

Which cleaning patch material is goodest. ha ha

Re: Patches. I have these synthetic ones, what is best

I like cotton patches, the syntetic ones are not as absorbant.

ER,

Synthetic to apply stuff, cotton for first or second pass removing stuff. Synthetic after the removal passes. Synthetic to apply JB or Iosso bore cleaners. Hoppes synthetic patches are thinner than the Outers, which I prefer.

HTH,
DocB

I go a different route and use the VG bore felts and have been very happy with them. They work great when used with JB to get the carbon ring out ahead of the chamber.

Not all cotton patches are equal--some vendors just get cotton t-shirts or undies and cut them into squares, but they aren't very well suited to the task of cleaning bores. Feel the texture of the patches, poster above me mentioned cotton flannel, thats headed in the right direction. Good patch material should be somewhat stiff and somewhat resistant to stretching, like felts or tweeds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not all cotton patches are equal--some vendors just get cotton t-shirts or undies and cut them into squares, but they aren't very well suited to the task of cleaning bores. Feel the texture of the patches, poster above me mentioned cotton flannel, thats headed in the right direction. Good patch material should be somewhat stiff and somewhat resistant to stretching, like felts or tweeds. </div></div>

Agreed, 100% Cotton Flannel from Sinclair Intl. is what I use.

Cotton Flannel

Fellahs, come on; we're not talking about wipping our asses here. It's a freakin gun barrel. Use an old tee shirt or similar natural fabric but it depends on whether you're applying or removing, that latter of which ought to be absorbent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fellahs, come on; we're not talking about wipping our asses here. It's a freakin gun barrel. Use an old tee shirt or similar natural fabric but it depends on whether you're applying or removing, that latter of which ought to be absorbent. </div></div>

Ever head of "right tool for the right job"?

Yeah, but don't over analyze this shit in the place of shooting and focusing on shooting. Shooting matters. Some of the other stuff not so much. Ya thing 400 thread count or 200 for patches?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, but don't over analyze this shit in the place of shooting and focusing on shooting. Shooting matters. Some of the other stuff not so much. <span style="font-weight: bold">Ya thing 400 thread count or 200 for patches?</span> </div></div>

Now you are just being silly.
crazy.gif

I only use Egyptian Cotton.