• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pathetic "what should I build?" question

Just Jim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2008
"Mexico North" (So. Calif.)
Here's the deal - just picked up a late '60s, early '70s Rem 700 ADL in .270. I was really looking for a short action for a 6.5 Creedmoor build, but couldn't turn this down at the price.

I will probably try tackling this myself, as I have a big lathe, and good gunsmithing skills; I've just never done any rifle barrel work before. I also happen to have a Douglas XX .30 cal blank (1-10).

I'm not averse to buying another barrel, but it just seems like the stars have aligned for a good .30-'06 build. Any better ideas?

Cheers... Jim

Re: Pathetic "what should I build?" question

Not a pathetic question at all, and there ain't a damned thing wrong with the '06 either
smile.gif

The right 4350 load can push it to almost .300WM ballistics with a reasonable barrel length if you don't mind pressures a bit on the high side.

But you didn't mention your expected use for this new build. Hunting, competition (as in Tactical matches), or what? That info would sure help to dial in a more exact answer.

Good point amigo-

Just a range rifle for prone shooting. Planning to leave that blank good and heavy, and I'll probably bolt it into another excellent McRee's stock.

Thanks for your input. Jim...

A wise man once said, "If it can't be done with a .30-06 it probably doesn't need to be done."

Make sure you post pics of the build.

Nothing wrong with a 30-06. You could also do a 6.5-55 with another barrel. Another one of my favorite calibers.

If you do 30-06 shoot RL22, im getting 2850 with 190s... But I dont shoot it enough anymore to justify having 30-06, 2 308's and 300win mag. I shoot my light stuff now.

A good choice to consider with the long action is 284win. Im hearing GREAT things about that from ALOT of people. Some time in the future id like a long action switch barrel Mak Tube chassis in 284win and 30-06... Check into 6mmbr.com in the mainsection under 7mm stuff on the left side of the page.

With a 0.30" barrel, you are limited. You could chase some wierd stuff like 30BR, but then the long action goes to waste. 30-06 or 308 are about it. You could try some of the magnums, but then you would need to open up the boltface diameter a bit. 30-06 would be a great choice. However, something else to consider would be a 308, throated for the heavies, like 208 A-Max, etc. You could also shoot the 175 VLDs/JLKs, and seat them out where they like to be, and still load them in the magazine. If it were me, I'd probably go with the 30-06, or get a new barrel and do the 6.5 X 55 Swede.

I've found that the '06, IMR4064, and 150, 155, 168, and 175 SMK's work satisfactorily for any target work I'd care to be shooting. Hunting bullets in 150 , 165, and 180gr loads; likewuse for game. 110's for vaorizing varmints. A 1:10", and maybe 1:12" twist whould be good enough for any of teh above bullets, and going heavier can work better at extended distances, but the above stuff works well enough, why bother to go heavier? The lighter bullets allow a lighter rifle, which can be of benefit in the field.

Greg

Consider .284 Win loaded long like 3.1" or so. 180 VLD from Berger or JLK at around 3000 fps and you are getting 338LM trajectories out to 1500m. Really. Less horsepower but trajectories are there.

Going to build one for my self at some point.

Do the 7mm 180 JLK's really have a BC of .735?