• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Patriot Arms (APA) 6.5x47L

Bradley

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2007
Carnesville,Georgia
I had a day off of work so I thought that I'd do some load development on my new APA 6.5x47L. I'd picked up a box of 130 Bergers a few weeks ago and thought I'd give them a shot. I got up this morning and looked around on the net to see what type of powder and how much others were using. I decided I'd try 39gr of H4350, cci450, and the 130 berger .010" off the lands.

I loaded five, went out in the backyard and this was the result.

DaddysFish003.jpg

The rifle

DaddysFish061.jpg

Gonna go load and shoot some more if the rain holds off as I hear thunder in the distance.

Thanks to Jered and the guys at APA for a FINE rifle!

btw, that's a thumb tack for size comparison.

Re: Patriot Arms (APA)

good look group and rifle.. seems you got pretty lucky and found a good load very quickly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good look group and rifle.. seems you got pretty lucky and found a good load very quickly </div></div>

I'm gonna wait and get my chronograph back from a friend and see what kind of velocity I'm getting with the 130's. The 39.5gr load didn't show any high pressue signs at all.

Hopefully I can find time this week to try some of the 123smk that I have plenty of.

She looks like a typical rifle from Jered & Dave - A HAMMER!!

Nice stick and nice shooting.

Jeff

H4350 shot great in my 6.5x47 lapua also, but to be honest Varget edged the 4350 and RL15 out.

After quite of bit of load development I've settled on 37.5gr of Varget behind a coated 123 Scenar about .010 in the lands, with a CCI450.

I'm getting 2920 out of my 26" Bart barrel. It's a mild load thats very easy on brass, but scary accurate from 100 to 600 yds.

Shoot your load for a 5 shot 5 group agg. If it aggs in the mid .1's to mid .3's, then I wouldn't go any further.

If you agg in the .4's I would do more load development because the cartdridge has the ability to do better, especially since Jared and crew put it together. Have fun!

Thanks for the info eddief!

I've also got some varget and a box 123 scenars on hand, I will be giving it a try.

BTW, my barrel is an 8 twist Hart.

Looks like Johnny's 6BR and my 6XC will have some very tough competition at the GSH matches when you show up! Dadgum APA rifles they're just too good! Yes! I have two of them.

Ed

Might want to bump the charge up a little more and touch the lands. I run the 130 berger .010" into the lands and use a little more powder. We run 2980-3000 out of 26" barrels.

Here is a couple of groups with the bergers....3 shot at 100yds, 4 shots at 500
65x47Lapuatwin1003.jpg

Shot this group today at 300yds using the 130 JLK's and the same powder charge.
groups001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mighty fine shooting 7mmAM! </div></div>

I'll second that one, DAMN.

Thanks guys,

When I get the "twin" to my rifle done next week, I will post up the info in a separate post.

Didn't mean to hijack, just wanted to show what a little more powder and touching the lands does for us.

Dang Veal, Ill tell you what, just to help you so that it aint a total loss, ill trade a fishing pole for that setup. Dont feel like your taking me for a ride, iI know ill be out a lot of money but its only cause your my best friend ill do that for ya.

Seriously man thats some good shooting. Id like to drive a few rounds down that thing.

Cal, next time you're back in CONUS give me a shout, you're gonna love this thing.

DHD, we love it out here! 80 acres with alot of history behind it. Matter of fact, that log building you see in the background was a slave house. The original farm house is also still standing and in pretty decent shape. It was built in 1830, we're using it for storage. There's also a couple of graveyards on the property. I knew one was here when we moved in and I discovered the other one while squirrel hunting. I was walking along and my right leg went about two feet down into one of the graves. I fell flat on my face in the leaves. It was a strange feeling to say the least. BTW, cheers back at ya!

I shot the 39gr load of H4350 at 700 yards a couple of days ago to see what it would do at distance. If I can find a usb cable for my phone I'll post some pics. 5 groups, all were 1/3 minute or less with the best group measuring 1 5/8". As soon as the corn field is cut I'll try the load out to 1120 yards and post my results.

Re: Patriot Arms (APA) 6.5x47L

Bveal, David should be finishing my 6.5x47 any day now (no rush Dave). I'm also starting w/ H4350 and have some RE15 if I'm not pleased. I cannot find any 130 berger hunting vld's, so for now I'm going to try the 139 scenars. I had the chamber set up for the bergers though, so maybe they will be available soon. I would like to try the 130 swampworks, but can never get around to ordering them. Congrats on the rifle and the shooting. I'm really excited about this cartridge and what I can get out of it. I'm down I-85 not to far from you (Braselton area)--maybe we can shoot sometime.

Both my 7wsm and 338 like the vld's loaded .010 into the lands, so that is also what I'm going to try in the 6.5x47. Which bullet do you prefer, the 130 berger or the 130 swampworks (jlk's). Have you seen proof shooting comparable loads with the two that the bc is that much better as published on the jlk's. Thanks<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might want to bump the charge up a little more and touch the lands. I run the 130 berger .010" into the lands and use a little more powder. We run 2980-3000 out of 26" barrels.

Here is a couple of groups with the bergers....3 shot at 100yds, 4 shots at 500
65x47Lapuatwin1003.jpg

Shot this group today at 300yds using the 130 JLK's and the same powder charge.
groups001.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks Cooper! When you get your rifle set up send me a pm and we'll get together and do some shooting. I'm hoping to find some 130 bergers(hunting vld) before rifle season gets here myself.