• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Payment for firearms

BOFF

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2010
Northport, Alabama
I searched and haven't found anything much.

All firearms I have purchased in the past have been to where I have actually been able to see and inspect the gun.

If I wanted to purchase a firearm which is located in a place not feasible to do a FTF, what options do I have to pay for said firearm, in which I am protected in case the firearm is not as described? The firearm will be sent to a local FFL.

I believe Gun Pal is having some issues with banks.
What is "discreet" Palpal? I would guess Paypal doesn't allow firearm purchases, so one is lying about what he/she is buying to Paypal?

Thanks,
God Bless,
David B.

Re: Payment for firearms

USPS Money Order has the "most security" of any of them, right up there with a cashiers check

Basically it is on you to do your due diligence prior to commiting to an online purchase (or other non-face-to-face purchase) of any firearm. Ask lots of questions, get lots of pics and if, for any reason, you aren't comfortable...don't do the deal.

Also, some sellers offer a no-fire inspection period of a few days wherein you can inspect but not shoot the firearm in question and if it does not meet with your approval or is not as described, you can send it back and all you are out is the S&H costs.

As for payment methods that protect you, USPS Money Order is how I do 99.9% of the business I conduct in terms of buying/selling all things firearms/related online. It is safe, secure and offers you the most protection possible. Short of that, if it is a business that will accept credit cards (NOT gaypal, gunpal, etc.) then you are afforded some protection by your CC company.

As for GayPal...DO NOT USE IT!!! The service is the root of all evil in terms of online purchases. Do yourself a favor and do a search here on the forums of recent issues with the service and the general raping/pillaging/fleecing of customers.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much "buyer beware". Know what you're looking for. Know what you're looking at. Have the seller send whatever pictures you need. If he has nothing to hide, he will. Look at his feedback or post count. Get a dialog going to get a feel for him. If you're buying from a Hide member you have little to worry about. There are plenty of guys here that will help get any problems resolved. It's NOT the responsibility of the forum or the Owner of the forum to fix your problem but the guys here are great! And last but not least, keep your expectations in check. Don't buy something "used" and expect it to be perfect. People have varying opinions on condition so be reasonable with your expectations. The LAST thing you want to do is get a reputation for being unreasonable... Or damage someone elses reputation un-necessarily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't have an option.

Caveat Emptor. </div></div>

I find that hard to believe.
grin.gif

God Bless,
David B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOFF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't have an option.

Caveat Emptor. </div></div>

I find that hard to believe.
grin.gif

God Bless,
David B. </div></div>
If you believe it or not its true.
Make sure you buy from a well known seller. It takes a leap of faith to buy a gun over the internet so you buy from people who have proven to be trust worthy sellers.

I have bought, sold and traded hundreds of guns over the internet and only had one bad deal with a well known seller out of Mississippi. I did eventually get my money back with the help of my local BATFE enforcement agent, but it took several months. You are taking a risk when dealing with someone you don't know, ask for a telephone number (not a cell number), ask them to scan and email you a copy of their ID, Google their name, address and phone number, if they have an FFL or C&R check it on the BATFE website, look them up on the dealer locator on any number of gun sale or auction sites. There's all kinds of ways to verify who you are dealing with, but like I said above the only bad deal I have had was a well known dealer in Mississippi selling fake pre-64 model 70 Winchesters.

Stick with a U.S. Postal money order, and delivery confirmation of some sort. If you make a "discreet" Paypal payment they can freeze your account.

If the purchase is here, run a search for their screen name in the Good Guys forum. On Gunbroker look over their feedback. I'd also make sure the shipping price is for insured shipping. I've bought and sold a bunch of guns online and had no issues. I always try to make sure we're both on the same page and I always keep the other party posted on the progress. For example, payment sent/received, provide tracking number, etc. I also try to save all the emails until the deal is done. Some of the folks have even checked back later to make sure I liked the gun. One guy got something similar in and thought I might be interested. He emailed me before listing it on GB. I've been lucky as far as everyone I've dealt with has been really easy to deal with.

As a matter of fact, oneshot onekill found out about this site in our emails when he bought a rifle from me off of Gunbroker back in 08.

That's absolutely right! I still miss that SSG! If I wasn't so hell-bent on eventually getting a 40X I would still have it! I wonder if the guy I sold it to would consider selling it back to me... Hmmm.

Appreciate the input.

Regardless of buying/selling anything, I ALWAYS send things with insurance and tracking, and have it sent to me the same way. The seller is on the board, and has two GTGs on the good guy list, which I cam find.

Thanks,
God Bless,
David B.

The other thing I would say is look at the quality of their posts - if they read like a jackass, chances are...

Also, google their screen name.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be applicable as well click here </div></div>

Thanks was unaware of that issue. I may just get a certified check.

God Bless,
David B.

I have used a bank to bank transfer with another USAA member that worked really well. Payment was instant and at no cost! Don't know about any fail-safes since it's a direct transfer of money and not something like a purchase. I trusted the seller but you might be able to protect both parties with some sort of bill of sale or "contract."

Kyle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phillik747</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used a bank to bank transfer with another USAA member that worked really well. Payment was instant and at no cost! Don't know about any fail-safes since it's a direct transfer of money and not something like a purchase. I trusted the seller but you might be able to protect both parties with some sort of bill of sale or "contract."

Kyle </div></div>

I had thought of this as well. A lot faster it would seem.
The seller doesn't know me well either, so, he may not want to turn loose of his banking info, which I would understand.

God Bless,
David B.