• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Paypal Fees?

Dennis_in_VA

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I would like to hear from those of you who use Paypal for purchasing and/or selling.

If you "Gift" someone a payment for something, does Paypal take a cut?

I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Maybe you can help me avoid a situation.

Re: Paypal Fees?

I still don't get why people use PayPal for anything related to what we do.

I dont personally use it either but I am on the fence about what is the best means of sending and receiving money. I use to be a USPS money order only kind of guy but after a recent experience a buddy had sending funds (USPS money order) Im not sure anymore.
In the case that the money order gets lost or intercepted by another individual it could take up to six weeks to get it cancelled and replaced.

PayPal doesn't take a "cut" on gift transactions.
Although I've only done small amounts using it ($25-$50)... Not sure if there is a limit to the $$$ amount using the "gift" option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you "Gift" someone a payment for something, does Paypal take a cut?</div></div>

No. At least not on the last "gift" I received.

But the person sending the "gift" has no buyer protection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still don't get why people use PayPal for anything related to what we do. </div></div>

Because there is nothing that competes with it.

Take a look at what it costs to setup a merchant account and run credit cards, or a secure server and the required certificates for online transactions. Then factor into that you accept a lot of the liability for fraud and hacking.

I have been screwed by PayPal in the past, but they have come a long way. I don't like the fact that they are not firearms friendly, but the flip side is that I cease taking online transactions and make everyone send cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRAAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont personally use it either but I am on the fence about what is the best means of sending and receiving money. I use to be a USPS money order only kind of guy but after a recent experience a buddy had sending funds (USPS money order) Im not sure anymore.
In the case that the money order gets lost or intercepted by another individual it could take up to six weeks to get it cancelled and replaced. </div></div>

I personally experienced a "Paypal Nightmare" several years back, never again.

STOP @#$%ING USING PAYPAL AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT AN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION!!!

Seriously, the whole GayPal issue has been hashed out here and elsewhere many, MANY times before and I'm not going through it all again. Suffice it to say that PayPal is every gun-owner's and 2A supporter's enemy...PERIOD!

Ok...rant off. PayPal gift does not charge the usual "fees" if memory serves, but it also eliminates ALL protections offered by PayPal (as minimal or non-existent as they may be anyway), including Fraud Protection and all of the "Buyer's Services" benefits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still don't get why people use PayPal for anything related to what we do. </div></div>

Take a look at what it costs to setup a merchant account and run credit cards, or a secure server and the required certificates for online transactions. Then factor into that you accept a lot of the liability for fraud and hacking.

I have been screwed by PayPal in the past, but they have come a long way. I don't like the fact that they are not firearms friendly, but the flip side is that I cease taking online transactions and make everyone send cash.
</div></div>

Not firearm friendly? That's interesting considering the founder and CEO is a Libertarian and huge Ron Paul supporter (Congressman Paul is very Pro 2A).

What experiences have you had of heard of that makes them not friendly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still don't get why people use PayPal for anything related to what we do. </div></div>

</div></div>

Not firearm friendly? That's interesting considering the founder and CEO is a Libertarian and huge Ron Paul supporter (Congressman Paul is very Pro 2A).

What experiences have you had of heard of that makes them not friendly? </div></div>

Look at their Terms of Service... It's spelled out very clearly.

Their founder may have been a libertarian but Paypal's current owners (Ebay) are the EXACT opposite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not firearm friendly? That's interesting considering the founder and CEO is a Libertarian and huge Ron Paul supporter (Congressman Paul is very Pro 2A).

What experiences have you had of heard of that makes them not friendly?</div></div>

AHHhhhh, so little learned in so much time, Grasshoppah,,,,

Methinks you are about to hear stories, shortly. Probably repeated ones, from posts and threads of long ago. And not so 'ago', too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What experiences have you had of heard of that makes them not friendly? </div></div>

See the following:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PayPal User Agreement states that PayPal, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to limit an account for any violation of the User Agreement, including the Acceptable Use Policy. Under the Acceptable Use Policy, PayPal may not be used to send or receive payments for firearms, firearm parts or accessories, ammunition, weapons or knives.
We are hereby notifying you that it has been determined that you are in violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy regarding your sale of firearms. Therefore, your account has been permanently limited.
You will need to remove all references to PayPal from your website(s) and/or auction(s). This includes not only removing PayPal as a payment option, but also the PayPal logo and/or shopping cart. We thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy Department at [email protected].</div></div>

Read the user agreement:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/AcceptableUse_full

Now many of us have bought and sold knives and firearms accessories over PayPal in the open. Part usually require "discrete" transactions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

See the following:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PayPal User Agreement states that PayPal, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to limit an account for any violation of the User Agreement, including the Acceptable Use Policy. Under the Acceptable Use Policy, PayPal may not be used to send or receive payments for firearms, firearm parts or accessories, ammunition, weapons or knives.
We are hereby notifying you that it has been determined that you are in violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy regarding your sale of firearms. Therefore, your account has been permanently limited.
You will need to remove all references to PayPal from your website(s) and/or auction(s). This includes not only removing PayPal as a payment option, but also the PayPal logo and/or shopping cart. We thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy Department at [email protected].</div></div>

Read the user agreement:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/AcceptableUse_full

Now many of us have bought and sold knives and firearms accessories over PayPal in the open. Part usually require "discrete" transactions. </div></div>

Well that is rather disappointing.

as long as the buyer has their funds for the paypal being funded by a bank account..no one pays a fee

if they use a credit card to pay it..with the gift method, they can direct the CC fees to themself or the person they are sending the money too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been screwed by PayPal in the past, but they have come a long way. </div></div>

Screw me once...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

See the following:

Read the user agreement:

Now many of us have bought and sold knives and firearms accessories over PayPal in the open. Part usually require "discrete" transactions. </div></div>

Well that is rather disappointing. </div></div>

Yeah. Using someone's services to complete transactions without honoring their TOS and cheating them out of their 3% fee really is disappointing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yeah. Using someone's services to complete transactions without honoring their TOS and cheating them out of their 3% fee really is disappointing. </div></div>

I can bet you won't get away with it for long before they suspend your account. I also have to wonder if there isn't some wire fraud charge that could be associated with it.

However, in my opinion WHAT I legally pay for with my money isn't any of their business. It doesn't matter to their dividends if I buy $7000 worth of AI Rifle or $7000 worth of Coach Purses. Their fee is the same and they still get their money. There is no federal law governing how a firearm is paid for, just how it is physically transferred from one part to another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

See the following:

Read the user agreement:

Well that is rather disappointing. </div></div>

Yeah. Using someone's services to complete transactions without honoring their TOS and cheating them out of their 3% fee really is disappointing. </div></div>

Not sure what you mean here what's disappointing is their terms of service. But being a free market advocate I understand their right to run their business how they see fit and I have the right to take my business elsewhere.

I just find it odd given who I know their founder and CEO supports and funded for President and knowing that candidate is pro 2A, I have to wonder if this is more a legal liability issue rather than how the company feels regarding firearms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PAYPAL doesn;t take anything...until you transfer the cash to YOUR personal bank account </div></div>

They can freeze a linked account arbitrarily and you'll be shit out of luck waiting for them to resolve the problem.

I have used paypal ONLY 1 TIME in my life. They got a cut, i think %3 or more. I don't remember

My friend sold a nice photo camera on eBay. He had received his money thru paypal. He send the camera to the Buyer. When he send the tracking # to the buyer the buyer made a complain to PAYPAL and paypal REFUND all his money $2K plus .... He never received his Camera back or the MONEY no matter how many complains he did.

The only way I deal it's MONEY ORDER or Cash face to face and if it's more then $500 I go straight to the bank and make sure they are real $$$$$$.

I don't even trust CASHIER CHECKS. I have story with cashier check too....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PAYPAL doesn;t take anything...until you transfer the cash to YOUR personal bank account</div></div>

Incorrect.

Paypal takes their cut during the transfer. Since I can use my PayPal account just like any other bank account it would not make sense to do it any other way.

When someone purchases something for me and pays for it through PayPal the percetage that PayPal charges is deducted before the funds are available in my PayPal balance. I can then transfer it to another bank account without incurring an additional fee. If I use my PayPal balance to purchase another item then the fee comes out of the money the SELLER would receive.

I have done thousands of PayPal transactions. 99% of the time they go very smoothly. PayPal has better protections in place for the sellers than they did when I got screwed. The only reason I got screwed several years ago was because I didn't make sure that EVERY transaction required adult signature. This little mistake cost me over $500, but you live and learn.

I have never heard of PayPal freezing an attached account. I don't know that they have the authority to do so. If anyone has a FIRST HAND account of that, I would be happy to hear about it. On another transaction several years ago I got burned by a shitty seller who never shipped my item and emptied his PayPal account out. I got the $5 he had in his account, but it too me and another Marine standing on his doorstep at 2AM to get my motorcycle engine.