• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PayPal PSA

JerkyFreak

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2023
Cape Town
Around an hour ago my PayPal account got hacked. It didn't concern me at first when someone added another MasterCard to the account because it cannot be used on my bank account. My bank doesn't use MasterCard so there should not be any link to my bank account. Then I got a surprise when two payments went off my actual bank account. Directly after, my PayPal account was closed.

First I tried to contact PayPal to log a dispute and report fraud. Turns out if your account is closed, you cannot log in and cannot report shit.

Next tried the bank contact centre. They first directed me to a link where I have to select the card that the disputed payment was made from. Now, because the payment was made from a card that is not linked to my account I cannot report the fraud to the bank. Best help they can give me is to contact the fraud department during office hours.

So, those of you that have PayPal accounts, I suggest you close them now before you walk the same route as me.

Were you using a strong password, AND two-factor authentication on your PP account?

Of course not. Also did not have a current card linked to it. The last transaction made was in 2018. The card used has expired four years ago. I did not even remember I had a PayPal account until I got the emails.

Same thing happened to me. PP was not helpful, stated that I sent someone (a stranger) $2,500. Eventually PP gave the money back. Someone on the other side of the country had a debit card in my name added to their PP account.

This all started when I received a request for a political donation. I donated, and the PP appearing link looked completely legit. Now I never click on an email for a donation request. If I donate, I go directly to the website for the person.

Reactions: lash
PP is anti 2A, fuck them. I struggled to close my account but finally got it canceled a couple minutes ago. They set up some autopay bullshit that was charging me plus or minus $15 a month. Nobody could tell me what it was for other than Apple. Fuck apple too. Only thing I used it for was sending my sister $ (dumb), and buying/selling gun stuff on forums that would eventually have gotten my account locked anyway (also dumb). Thanks for this thread as it reminded me that I needed to get that shit closed. I only buy stuff from established members and try to not get scammed. I can wait a couple extra days for a check to clear.

More than 75% or more I expect of the consumer market ownership is against most of what the majority here believe. They can be anti 2A all they like.......... the only thing I use it for is discretely buying gun parts, guns and optics used off of here and local sites. So yeah fuck'em...I agree, but I fuck'em without losing the convenience of paying for my 2A stuff easily.

And that's why my PayPal is only linked to a credit card.
No bank account, no debit.
Me too. People always go "FF and there's no fee" which is not true unless you have a bank account linked. This is why I don't and won't. Everyone here should get away from paypal

Reactions: mewillis
all pay apps suck security wise, most are owned/run by the big banks. if you ever have issues they disapprove of they will want;
copies of your DL
copies of your bank statement
your account is "frozen" until you comply.
I have threatened to contact the Federal Consumer products commission but since they "are not" a BANK they are not responsible like those in the banking industry. Thus they play their own games. I am not able to "close" my account until I submit to their request for my private information.
I will never use a pay app ever again, even if it makes things harder for me.

Reactions: mosin46
Had a PayPal long time ago. The second I found out that they were anti-2A, NOPE, I closed it. Don't need bad feng shui around me.

Second, NO debit or bank cards are ever used online. I use a credit card with $200 per day limit for online purchases. For bigger amounts I use a one time use prepaid gift card. I've had my credit card compromised and had to be locked and replaced before. Two times the POS on the other end had tested the card first by making a $1 transaction, and then immediately tried to make numerous $200+ transactions afterward and they were all declined because I have a limit on any cards that I use anywhere outside banks. HAHAHAHA joke was on them. Must have been frustrating as hell for them.

I have mine linked to a bank account that I keep 3 cents in and auto declines purchases that go above that amount.

Yeah, I have a bank account that has about $50 in it linked to the PayPal account For exactly that reason.

its good and all that until you find out the bank WILL overdraft that bank account and then charge huge fees. that would be something i would triple check.

Of course not. Also did not have a current card linked to it. The last transaction made was in 2018. The card used has expired four years ago. I did not even remember I had a PayPal account until I got the emails.
Well, there you go. Use this as a learning experience to tighten down the security on other apps that have access to your financial info would be my recommendation. Everyone should be using 2FA these days.

Zelle. It seems more secure and they don't report to the IRS.
Don't be so sure........ 10-99's are coming your way most likely. And owned by the worst banks perhaps in the world.
Zelle is run by Early Warning Services, a fintech company owned by seven of the United States’ largest banks: JPMorgan Chase JPM +0.1%, Bank of America BAC -0.4%, Capital One COF -1.3%, PNC, Truist, U.S. Bank and Wells Fargo WFC -0.5%. It appears to most users as an option within their desktop or mobile banking app and processed $490 billion in volume in 2021. Meanwhile, Venmo processed $230 billion worth of transactions and Cash App approximately $175 billion, according to an estimate from Ark Invest. Cash App does not publicly disclose its total peer-to-peer processing volume.

Don't be so sure........ 10-99's are coming your way most likely. And owned by the worst banks perhaps in the world.
Zelle is run by Early Warning Services, a fintech company owned by seven of the United States’ largest banks: JPMorgan Chase JPM +0.1%, Bank of America BAC -0.4%, Capital One COF -1.3%, PNC, Truist, U.S. Bank and Wells Fargo WFC -0.5%. It appears to most users as an option within their desktop or mobile banking app and processed $490 billion in volume in 2021. Meanwhile, Venmo processed $230 billion worth of transactions and Cash App approximately $175 billion, according to an estimate from Ark Invest. Cash App does not publicly disclose its total peer-to-peer processing volume.
Zelle is in a loophole for avoiding IRS reporting because they only process the transfer and never take possession of the funds in the middle of it like the others. Look it up.

Trusting any KYC service is naive.
I’m not endorsing them, nor do I use them or any other money transfer service. I’m simply stating that Zelle is presently in a loophole to not have to report transactions to the IRS.

If I buy something from someone that’s not a business, it’s FTF with cash in hand. I quit using the PX here years ago because of scammers and a general unwillingness to use something other than a payment transfer service. Instead, I just buy my shit new from dealers.

Had a PayPal long time ago. The second I found out that they were anti-2A, NOPE, I closed it. Don't need bad feng shui around me.

Second, NO debit or bank cards are ever used online. I use a credit card with $200 per day limit for online purchases. For bigger amounts I use a one time use prepaid gift card. I've had my credit card compromised and had to be locked and replaced before. Two times the POS on the other end had tested the card first by making a $1 transaction, and then immediately tried to make numerous $200+ transactions afterward and they were all declined because I have a limit on any cards that I use anywhere outside banks. HAHAHAHA joke was on them. Must have been frustrating as hell for them.
Similar system here. My card is ’air gapped’ as well by not being issued by any of the banks I have savings in. Just top it up as needed, super easy, only a few seconds. Debit cards used directly, have transaction limits with two factor authentication, requiring pin login before accessing secondary code. I’m far from being high speed encryption savvy, but it’s not difficult.

I closed my PP account over a year ago and still get monthly account update emails from them somehow. I did everything to scrub it, yet it still sends some updates like I have an account. Nothing is tied to it, but I think they never truly get rid of it even when you try. The only thing I use for transfers not within my own bank accounts is Zelle, and that is rare also.

You have “0” feedback here so I can believe it.

Haven’t bought or sold here since the Scout days. That’s about the time everyone began wanting to use PP or similar. I’ll let my kids sell, give away or use all the stuff I’ve accumulated. Buy/sell a bit on local forums.

Me too. People always go "FF and there's no fee" which is not true unless you have a bank account linked. This is why I don't and won't. Everyone here should get away from paypal

I always offer to pay the 3%, and have the protection. Granted, the only place I've had people not send stuff was eBay. I figure if it's a good enough deal I'm willing to eat an extra 3%.

I always offer to pay the 3%, and have the protection. Granted, the only place I've had people not send stuff was eBay. I figure if it's a good enough deal I'm willing to eat an extra 3%.
Yeah that's another way to do it for sure. I just really hate giving PayPal any money at all. I don't like them and they don't like us so.... also, PayPal doesn't give any kind of protection for any gun related anything. Not only will they not offer the protection should you need it, they will freeze your account, as well as the other guys account and keep both of your money too sometimes. As soon as they deem it "gun related", it's all up to them in what they allow you to have of your money, regardless of any other factor.

Reactions: mewillis
Yeah that's another way to do it for sure. I just really hate giving PayPal any money at all. I don't like them and they don't like us so.... also, PayPal doesn't give any kind of protection for any gun related anything. Not only will they not offer the protection should you need it, they will freeze your account, as well as the other guys account and keep both of your money too sometimes. As soon as they deem it "gun related", it's all up to them in what they allow you to have of your money, regardless of any other factor.

Well, if someone tries to not send me a paid for product, I'd rather burn both than just myself... Being a selfish dickhead and all... (I'm mostly ok screwing up an account if he's trying to scam to save the next guy).

I typically only buy optics in the px, which have purposes beyond shooting technically. Not that they care, but I'm just watching birds.

Zelle is in a loophole for avoiding IRS reporting because they only process the transfer and never take possession of the funds in the middle of it like the others. Look it up.
interesting, I thought all had to report

all still suck donkey dick, paypal sucks 3 donkey dicks at once

they froze my account for selling Ammo but I can’t login to close it out

It is retarded that Paypal doesn't allow people to close a frozen account without sending in a photo of a government issued ID in order to un-freeze the account first.

I left my account frozen for many years until I caved in to sell some things on ebay.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee