• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pdog '09 BloodBath.....

7mmRM

Minuteman
Jul 2, 2004
Celestine, Indiana
308Skinner, myself, and 2 others just got back from our annual pdog shoot in South Dakota. Simply put it was a bloodbath. Dogs big and small were everywhere.... and DUMB! Shots ranged from 50 yards to over 500. There was never a lull in the action! Lots of doubles/ triples!
'Skinner had the best explosion- Pdog pup @ 75 yards. 50VMAX @3500FPS. There was not enough left to take a pic of!
I got the best air time- adult dog- 150ish yards. 75AMAX @3100. Up at least 15', and flew at least 30' feet! I had enough time to see it fly out of the sight picture, lift my head off the rifle see it climbing to the apex and then fall! We have it on film. You see it fly out of the screen and then hear a bunch of HOLY SHITs!

The weather was great. Abit, hot but great none the less. We have some film footage- I just need to figure out how to get it posted.....

A pic of the rifles I took. F to R- 223AI, 223AI, M40A3, 204, Varmint AR15, fast twist 223, 17 Hummer.
PDOG09077.jpg

Myself shooting w/ the 223AI.
PDOG09073.jpg

Skinner driving his Salvage 223AI
PDOG09064.jpg

A sampling of the carnage-
PDOG09065.jpg

PDOG09066.jpg

PDOG09068.jpg

PDOG09069.jpg

PDOG09072.jpg

Me with a couple of Jacks that I zipped. 75 AMAXs @3100 do wicked job on them(grin)
PDOG09076.jpg

308Skinner with a Jack he popped.
PDOG09001.jpg

Re: Pdog '09 BloodBath.....

We took a day off from the pdogs and headed west.
Stopped past the Badlands-
Worlds largest Pdog.
PDOG09002.jpg

PDOG09011.jpg

Myself in the Badlands
PDOG09019.jpg

PDOG09014.jpg

PDOG09024.jpg

PDOG09028.jpg

PDOG09038.jpg

Then to Mt. Rushmore-
PDOG09041.jpg

PDOG09052.jpg

Then a stop past Crazy Horse-
PDOG09053.jpg

All in all it was a great trip, and I cant wait to go back!

I don't know about the largest p-dog....I think prairie dog town in Oakley Kansas has the largest. I'll have to dig up my photo to prove it.

Ive seen that one as well. Its the 8000 pound prairie dog . This one is the 6 ton prairie dog.

Looks like you guys had a great hunt. That is a nice collection of varmint rifles. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have not been to the Badlands since I was a little kid.

Thats all Ive got! Too busy shootin! 'Skinner has some more, Ill tell him to post them.

When are you and the Boy goin?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MORE PICS OF THE CARNAGE!!!! </div></div>

Heres some more dead dogs!!!!!!!!!!

102_1502.jpg

102_1503.jpg

102_1504.jpg

102_1508.jpg

nice i live about 45 min from there, if you drive south of murdo bout 30min you get on the res and the dog towns there are unreal, 1000's of dogs but you get in deep shit if you get caught shootin em without a triabl license, we have about 10,000 acres some of which borders the reservation and you go through way too much ammo and $$$, so we poison most of ours. but its fun as hell to pop em and see em do flips 10ft in the air!!! nice work and pics keep postin.

Typical hunter, always shooting at something on the other side of the fence. Have'nt been PDing in a couple of years, sure want to go this summer. Great pictures.

6 ton?! darn signs were lying to me then. I'd go back and cause a ruckus if that place didn't give me so many heebie jeebies.
Anybody ever eat pdogs? A buddy of mine says squirrel is mighty tasty, but I've never heard anyone talk of eating these guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 ton?! darn signs were lying to me then. I'd go back and cause a ruckus if that place didn't give me so many heebie jeebies.
Anybody ever eat pdogs? A buddy of mine says squirrel is mighty tasty, but I've never heard anyone talk of eating these guys. </div></div>

hell no dude these things are dirty rank, it would have to be a last resort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats all Ive got! Too busy shootin! 'Skinner has some more, Ill tell him to post them.

</div></div>

We were allready supposed to be gone....But the weather kept us at home.It was raining here...Raining where we are going.

Awesome photo's Issac. Looks like you guys had a blast. Were the Jack rabbits on the private drive?

I'm going for sure next year. The ol'lady will be out of college this fall.

Nice pictures of Badland area.

Still a lot of dogs out that way? Though they were going to poison a lot of them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats all Ive got! Too busy shootin! 'Skinner has some more, Ill tell him to post them.

</div></div>

We were allready supposed to be gone....But the weather kept us at home.It was raining here...Raining where we are going. </div></div>

That fucking sucks. Are you still going?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome photo's Issac. Looks like you guys had a blast. Were the Jack rabbits on the private drive?

I'm going for sure next year. The ol'lady will be out of college this fall.

Nice pictures of Badland area.

Still a lot of dogs out that way? Though they were going to poison a lot of them? </div></div>

Mike,

Ya we had a blast. Yup, the jacks were on the one of the private gumbo roads. There were tons of them! I also ran over 2 of them. Come over a rise about 70MPH, and there they were.... thump thump thump thump...

If you havent been to the Badlands, do yourself a favor and go. Its an amazing place. Pictures do it no justice. Then while your at it, make sure to get to Mt. Rushmore.

This is my 5th year in this AO, and Ive never seen more prairie dogs than what I saw this year. We always shoot alot of pups, but this year we smoked a ton of pups and nearly as many adults. And were they dumb.... WOW!

Nice shooting gents.
If an "out of towner's" wanted to do the same(realize its not your backyard either). Whats the best way to do so. Basically want lots of shooting some challenging shooting. But dont want robbed on something that seems kinda basic...find a pdog town an whack'm.
Stay at local hotel er sumtin???
Also what was your 75 load guesssin its w/ benchmark...lookin more for basic 223 not the AI. Pm if easier

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That fucking sucks. Are you still going? </div></div>

Hell yes!!!!!! Hopefully the weather is good next weekend. if not a bro has a town to the south.New mexico way..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who are some good outfitters to do this? </div></div>

Dude, seriously, do some research on the popular p. dog states, pick a state based on the laws and access, and go for it. There might be some outfitters posting here that would take issue with this, but you do NOT need an outfitter to go blast p. dogs. This isn't hunting, it's shooting and it isn't difficult. You find a town, set up your stuff, and blast away.

Around the mobridge area all you have to do is ask ranchers to shoot them little rat bastards and they will 95% of the time let you out there. pretty much anywhere west of the missouri river you can find them. We just went out with the .22 this week end and shot a bunch the little ones are real dumb right now.

Chuff, I will look around maybe NM or CO. Here in Texas all the outfitters have it locked up on P Dogs!! I guess money talks.

CO is not the best choice. We actually have a season for p. dogs on public land, and it's a useless time of year smack in the middle of winter. You can shoot them all year long on private land, but I doubt you want to spend your trip going from house to house looking for permission to shoot. I don't know about NM, but I know UT doesn't have a season and also doesn't require a small game license, and there's an almost incomprehensible amount of public land in UT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chuff, I will look around maybe NM or CO. Here in Texas all the outfitters have it locked up on P Dogs!! I guess money talks. </div></div>

Looking at setting up in the panhandle on my next R&R in July, thought about driving up to S.Dakota but I only get 2 weeks and the panhandle is only 5 hours away. Dude sent me an IM off Varmint hunters, of course he charges, but this is TX thats the norm. Still may be worth the drive to see the badlands and Rushmore though, maybe smoke some dogs while we are there

Man, that is awesome! I wish we had pdogs around here.