• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Peculiar problem with 300WM reloads

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    I just bought a very nice 300WM and have noticed a peculiarity. When I fire factory ammo, the brass extracts and ejects without difficulty. When I shoot handloads through this gun (no signs of pressure on the cases, not shooting them hot, handloads are well within spec for case length and pressure), the rounds hit the target where aimed but the brass sticks in the chamber and requires some force on the bolt handle to eject the spent cases.

What gives?

I will take a caliper and micrometer to the factory and the hand load, but does this sound familiar?

I have handloaded for 5 separate 300WMs and all have ben very accurate and only this one doesn't like them. All others extract and eject without difficulty, and this one extracts and ejects factory ammo just fine but doesn't like hand loads. I've used brass cases and the silver-finish cases, both have difficulty. All signs of the case are normal, no stress marks, no rub marks, no problems with the primer or primer pocket.

Is it the chamber? Is it the tumbler media?

Re: Peculiar problem with 300WM reloads

Personally I would almost bet the sizing die isn't quiet adjusted correctly. Either that or you need to look at one of the "collet dies" for belted magnums.

Dies are Lee,
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=162221

The sizing die is set up as per instructions. I am measuring the brass length after every resize and cutting as needed.

The cases have no bulges, rubs, or sings of excessive pressure. I chrono-ed the rounds a few weeks ago, 2800 FPS with 180-gr SMK, they aren't running hot.

Each case goes into a 300WM Wilson case gauge, those that fail go in the trash.

Again, these same rounds, same recipe, same reloading setup, have gone into 5 other 300WMs and run fine, no failures of any kind.

Bolt lift is normal, problem comes when I try to extract the spent brass.

Several things to try. Measure the diameter just above the belt on new and reloaded cases. The Wilson gage is adjustable for length. The chamber in this rifle may be, for the lack of a better term, headspacing off of or closer to the shoulder versus the belt. Try a factory load in the gage before and after firing.

It seems I am not the only one with this issue, I now have a solution.

I need small base dies due to the tight specs of the chamber.

problem solved, thanx for the help.