• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pedal drive kayak

Sethshaun

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2012
Lakeland, Fl
Has anyone done the research on different pedal drive kayaks for fishing?
quietest?
fastest?
best in strong current and winds?
easiest to fix?
any thoughts?

Last edited:
The Hobie models are excellent, but awful expensive. Everyone I know that uses one looks at the rest of the world like peasants, and swear they’re the best thing other than a bass boat, and I’ve overheard people making the argument that they could outfish someone in a bass boat. I suppose if I spent that money on a boat that didn’t have a motor, I’d be trying to justify it any way I could as well. I doubt I’d have many complaints if one showed up though.

I’ve fished out of a couple kayaks, not enough to count myself amongst the experienced. I mostly stand in the river. So, take my opinion for what it’s worth.

Hopefully someone chimes in with more affordable models that work well.

I have looked at the mirage drive but I use my kayak alot in very shallow areas and in rivers quite a bit so it was a no go.
The one I bought is a 13.5' Ocean Kayak so it is a bit of pig compared to some of the newer light weight options but it is an excellent fishing kayak and stable enough to stand in and even climb back into in the water should you get dumped.
For open water fishing I use an oversized drift sock.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbonbent
I started a thread on this topic. I have done a lot of research, but have not been able to test drive any yet.
My top choice so far is the Wilderness System Radar. Local outfitter is going to have a demo days soon, and trying it out should help me decide. Hopefully you have the option to give some a test drive before you decide.

Hobie pro angler 14! Buy once, cry once! It’s very quite, stable, fast, and has a skew that you can put down in windy conditions that seems to lock it down on the water. Handles rough water well. Plenty of storage and options for equipment. The cons are it’s big. Also turning radius a little wider than some, but with the reverse feature, not a prob.

Last edited:
Reactions: striped1
Pelican just made a new copy of the hobie for around half the price . I would also say buy once cry once but if you want to test the waters at a cheaper start I would start there. I’m not a huge fan of natives and others style of peddle drives personally.

Those are nice but I bought an old 14ft alumacraft rowboat. Basically a canoe shaped bottom but it had aluminum oars. It was a joy to row. It could take an 8 hp motor but I just put on an electric trolling motor and rowed with it. It was great for fishing. But if you're going to cast a lot then those kayaks are hard to beat.

I have a Hobie PA 14. Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on. As it was said above its a bit heavy but very stable. I fish mine on big waters. I have it equipped with downriggers and a torqeedo electric motor which gives this old man a lot more range. Probably wouldn't be the best in shallow or fast water applications.

Does the electric\battery motor for the Hobie slide into the peddle well? That is one thing I liked about the Wilderness, they make their own elec. drive that has eight hours of operation that I can add as an accessory later.

The torqeedo electric motor snaps into the peddle well. Battery is waterproof and weighs about 7 lbs. Has a gps controller that tells you how fast you are moving and how much range you have left which is pretty nice. And like everything else the sticker shock will spin your eyes. But what the hell...its only money, you can always make more!

Reactions: Ric O'shay
Any for sure reason why you want a pedal kayak?

I’m asking because I bought a kayak a few years ago to fish here in FL, and after two years I finally sold it and got into a Jon boat with motor.

For the price of one of the Hobie’s, you can very easily get into a used Gheenoe Classic with a motor or a Jon Boat, and be able to have someone besides you on the water and the benefit of getting back to the car in a bad situation QUICK (ask me how I know...)

Reactions: xsn10s
I have fished many Hobie Kayaks, they're great depending on your use, and probably the best with the only draw back being weight. I own a native slayer propel which I have also used extensively and I really like it as well, with my only complaint being heavy drive and no horizontal rod storage from the factory. I also have a nucanoe flint which I absolutely love, and I'm excited to try the pedal drive for it when available.

I’m asking because I bought a kayak a few years ago to fish here in FL, and after two years I finally sold it and got into a Jon boat with motor.

For the price of one of the Hobie’s, you can very easily get into a used Gheenoe Classic with a motor or a Jon Boat, and be able to have someone besides you on the water and the benefit of getting back to the car in a bad situation QUICK (ask me how I know...)

Cause I can put it on my vehicle roof super fast and be in the water quickly.

What I have now is fast and light but very uncomfortable and I cannot stand up and cast or set the hook.

I like simple
And leg power seems better in current and wind in my mind.

A real boat and motor would be super but then there is the trailer and maintenance and space.

I have fished many Hobie Kayaks, they're great depending on your use, and probably the best with the only draw back being weight. I own a native slayer propel which I have also used extensively and I really like it as well, with my only complaint being heavy drive and no horizontal rod storage from the factory. I also have a nucanoe flint which I absolutely love, and I'm excited to try the pedal drive for it when available.

Yeah that Native Slayer 13 looks about right.
I need to demo one

I started a thread on this topic. I have done a lot of research, but have not been able to test drive any yet.
My top choice so far is the Wilderness System Radar. Local outfitter is going to have a demo days soon, and trying it out should help me decide. Hopefully you have the option to give some a test drive before you decide.

Yes that Radar might be the answer ?

Check our hobos outback or compass as well. Lighter weight than the pro angler 14 and cheaper as well!

Reactions: WoobieJ
I dont have any experience with pedal drives but I have spent a lot of time fishing in kayaks from various manufacturers, started with a pelican (total waste of money) spent some time on an ocean kayak (built like a barge and super heavy, terrible designed skupper holes if you're in shallow/rocky water) a little time on native (pretty solid boats, the versa boards are sweet) and currently I have a wilderness systems ride 135 and have absolutely no issues with it. Just from my experience with wilderness I know you can't go wrong with their stuff.

I have a WS Tarpon 120. Good design for cutting through waves. I bet yours is even better. I tried a 250cm carbon fiber paddle vs my normal fiberglass plastic one the other day and was super impressed. Big big difference.

Can you stand on your ride 135?

In some States there's no registration or insurance required on a kayak. But they're trying to change that too.

There's also many small "lakes" where no power is allowed.

I have a WS Tarpon 120. Good design for cutting through waves. I bet yours is even better. I tried a 250cm carbon fiber paddle vs my normal fiberglass plastic one the other day and was super impressed. Big big difference.

Can you stand on your ride 135?

I stand on it every time I take it out, especially if I'm going bowfishing. super stable and even tho its 13.5 long it handles tight class 2 Rapids easily.

Attachments

• 20170701_114340.jpg
    20170701_114340.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 80
Has anyone done the research on different pedal drive kayaks for fishing?
quietest?
fastest?
best in strong current and winds?
easiest to fix?
any thoughts?

If your wanting a pedal driven kayak, just go with Hobie. The drives are quieter, simpler, and overall more efficient. They sell spare parts kits and are easy to work on in the field, ( I believe a wrench and a screw driver is all you need) which more than likely , you’ll never need to do for a while.
I’ve done head to heads with other pedal drive kayaks, and the Hobie drives are faster. Speed is dependent on beam width, so the revolution would be the fastest, outback would be second, and then the pro angler.( I’ve not tested the newer models) Stability is also dependent on beam width.
As far as quieter, I think hobie drives are a bit quieter, but overall stealth will be dependent on hull design. I think the pro angler has the most hull slap out of the bunch.
Ive taken mine offshore, inshore, calm , and windy days; they are a very seaworthy kayak.

If your wanting a pedal driven kayak, just go with Hobie. The drives are quieter, simpler, and overall more efficient. They sell spare parts kits and are easy to work on in the field, ( I believe a wrench and a screw driver is all you need) which more than likely , you’ll never need to do for a while.
I’ve done head to heads with other pedal drive kayaks, and the Hobie drives are faster. Speed is dependent on beam width, so the revolution would be the fastest, outback would be second, and then the pro angler.( I’ve not tested the newer models) Stability is also dependent on beam width.
As far as quieter, I think hobie drives are a bit quieter, but overall stealth will be dependent on hull design. I think the pro angler has the most hull slap out of the bunch.
Ive taken mine offshore, inshore, calm , and windy days; they are a very seaworthy kayak.

I just found out that the Bixpy electric jet drive has an adapter that replaces the mirage drive. Fits right down in the hole. Rudder steer and handheld remote operated with multi speed forward and reverse.

Almost the same price as buying a pedal drive separately

Hobie Pro Angler, hands down. The Native propel system is cool but the mirage drive is infinitely smoother, faster and can be used in very shallow water, like 8". The seat and steering system are also much better than anything out there. They track very straight, ton of rigging options, etc. There's a reason they're expensive, they're the bar.

In my research, the Hobie was by far the best solution for a pedal/motor kayak. The others that were close were nearly the same in price. You would most of you money back when selling the Hobie, if that helps. Also, it's been a few years since I seriously looked into it, so maybe there's been some newcomers or models that I'm not aware of. You are correct, the Hobie is not cheap.

What I did find and what I decide would work best for my needs was this:

Prices are reasonable and it fit my needs perfectly. I never ended up ordering one and just continue to use my standard Old Town kayak.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Does anyone on here have recommendations on a fishing kayak that is the pedal drive? I used a family member's Hobie over the weekend, but it was a base model and didn't feel stable enough to stand. Obviously, a Hobie pro angler would be awesome, but dang they are proud of them. Would prefer one short enough to put in a regular bed truck with an extender over a trailer best tandem inflatable kayak. Stable enough to stand would be a large plus. Thanks!
I have a pro angler. Love it. I have a extender that allows me to haul it in the bed of my truck

Try the outback. Very nice as well. Lighter, shorter,

I've been doing paddle sports/fishing for a couple of decades. The pedal boats have a problem - draft. Regular canoes and kayaks float in mud. Not so with the pedal boats. They add a longer distance from the shore to the car racks. Sometimes, like in low tides in Florida that could be more than 100 yards extra on put in or haul lout - all with the boat on your back. And the pedal system also makes the boat heavier.

I'm not a fan. I have to believe they are best for resort rentals.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I've been doing paddle sports/fishing for a couple of decades. The pedal boats have a problem - draft. Regular canoes and kayaks float in mud. Not so with the pedal boats. They add a longer distance from the shore to the car racks. Sometimes, like in low tides in Florida that could be more than 100 yards extra on put in or haul lout - all with the boat on your back. And the pedal system also makes the boat heavier.

I'm not a fan. I have to believe they are best for resort rentals.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. They only have additional draft if the prop is in the water and only a retard goes out on one without a paddle as backup so you either paddle in the really skinny water or walk it just like you would any non pedal drive. I can get in just as skinny water with my two Jackson’s that are flex drive as any non paddle yak. I’m on the gulf where it’s shallow AF and mostly fish flats and back water and it’s never been a problem. I usually launch at causeways that are shallow AF and at most I have to walk or paddle the yak out 10’ off the shore line to be able to drop the drive down into the mid position to start pedaling. Mid requires less than a foot of water and low possibly about 18”, that’s it. It will float in the same water as a non pedal.

I’ve had paddle fishing yaks and after having pedal you couldn’t pay me to use a paddle yak ever again for anything but floating down a spring. Pedal is better in every way, especially areas where there’s any wind at all. I can move all around and hit a bunch of spots and hold my position in the time that someone dicks with an anchor or pole to hold them in place at one spot with a paddle yak. Best thing about pedal is that you don’t have to use it but it’s there if you want to and once you experience it you won’t not want to.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. They only have additional draft if the prop is in the water and only a retard goes out on one without a paddle as backup so you either paddle in the really skinny water or walk it just like you would any non pedal drive. I can get in just as skinny water with my two Jackson’s that are flex drive as any non paddle yak. I’m on the gulf where it’s shallow AF and mostly fish flats and back water and it’s never been a problem. I usually launch at causeways that are shallow AF and at most I have to walk or paddle the yak out 10’ off the shore line to be able to drop the drive down into the mid position to start pedaling. Mid requires less than a foot of water and low possibly about 18”, that’s it. It will float in the same water as a non pedal.

I’ve had paddle fishing yaks and after having pedal you couldn’t pay me to use a paddle yak ever again for anything but floating down a spring. Pedal is better in every way, especially areas where there’s any wind at all. I can move all around and hit a bunch of spots and hold my position in the time that someone dicks with an anchor or pole to hold them in place at one spot with a paddle yak. Best thing about pedal is that you don’t have to use it but it’s there if you want to and once you experience it you won’t not want to.
Ouch!! Thanks for the insults -not! Just read your post. Let me start by saying that I've been on the water fishing since I was 6 years old, and I will be 68 this summer. Every type of fishing from catching 800 pound blue marlin, deep dropping in 1200 feet for queen snapper to catching quite a bit fish know to man and some really rare ones, in every possible craft you could even know or think off. And in different countries as well.

Right know in my garage are two canoes. One, a custom single seater fly fishing boat made out entirely of Kevlar, and an 18-foot two-seater 37 pound, $3200 boat in pure carbon fiber that makes 7-knots. Oh. and custom paddles too.

When it comes to being on the water I have more experience than most people will have in their lifetimes. I even had a 100 ton Masters license a while back. I know boats, and a LOT more than you do.

Pedal boats are for tourists rentals at hotel beaches. 'nough said.

And a couple of pics for you to hammer the point!

marlin-cnx-2018-XL.jpg

806 pounds

New_Wenonah-M.jpg

Custom boat - featured on manufacturer's yearly catalog.

scan0002-L.jpg

My design. 16.6 foot. 100% bulletproof Kevlar boat, unsinkable, rigged with GPS, dual rigging for sea and drop anchors, push pole, can stand and fly cast and makes 5 knots in sprints. FLOATS IN MUD.

bonefish1a-M.jpg
/
11-pound bonefish....

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
Ouch!! Thanks for the insults -not! Just read your post. Let me start by saying that I've been on the water fishing since I was 6 years old, and I will be 68 this summer. Every type of fishing from catching 800 pound blue marlin, deep dropping in 1200 feet for queen snapper to catching quite a bit fish know to man and some really rare ones, in every possible craft you could even know or think off. And in different countries as well.

Right know in my garage are two canoes. One, a custom single seater fly fishing boat made out entirely of Kevlar, and an 18-foot two-seater 37 pound, $3200 boat in pure carbon fiber that makes 7-knots. Oh. and custom paddles too.

When it comes to being on the water I have more experience than most people will have in their lifetimes. I even had a 100 ton Masters license a while back. I know boats, and a LOT more than you do.

marlin-cnx-2018-XL.jpg

806 pounds

New_Wenonah-M.jpg

scan0002-L.jpg

My design. 16.6 foot. 100% bulletproof Kevlar boat, unsinkable, rigged with GPS, dual rigging for sea and drop anchors, push pole, can stand and fly cast and makes 5 knots in sprints. FLOATS IN MUD.

bonefish1a-M.jpg
/
11-pound bonefish....

Cool, you’ve spent a lot of time on the water. That doesn’t somehow make you knowledgeable on something that you obviously know nothing about and have no experience with.

Where I live there are a ton of kayak and canoe rentals for the gulf, the rivers and the springs. Not a single one rents pedal drive units… again you don’t have a fucking clue what you’re talking about.

Reactions: JeffLebowski

marlin-cnx-2018-XL.jpg

806 pounds

New_Wenonah-M.jpg

scan0002-L.jpg

bonefish1a-M.jpg
/
11-pound bonefish....

All you had to do was say “I have no experience with pedal kayaks, but it’s ok because I decided new things in this field were frightening around the mid 90’s”. Seriously, we got your point.

Reactions: Exergy
I bought an Old Town Predator PDL right after that first post 3 years ago. Then I bought a second one because they are so awesome.

Thought about a Hobbie real hard but I like the idea of instant reverse with the regular pedal drive. I can fish the mud flats and I can even hop over logs… all I gotta do is lift the drive and use my paddle or get out and walk they also make an insert to fill that drive hole if you want to fly fish and not have all that junk in your way.

It’s great in the wind, you can hold your position. I have hit a couple alligators (in winter) and manatees with the drive.
Only time it sucks is on a fast moving river because the drive catches tons of current. And really shallow grass gets sucked up like silly string in a weedeater.

Attachments

• CA5CE860-2879-4537-BE4C-669E749F79FA.jpeg
    CA5CE860-2879-4537-BE4C-669E749F79FA.jpeg
    851.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 05AF8542-19E4-4212-A7CE-D6DEB0E6D0D7.jpeg
    05AF8542-19E4-4212-A7CE-D6DEB0E6D0D7.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 42
  • 7AB7B161-2A77-4B1B-A54D-437984640DEE.jpeg
    7AB7B161-2A77-4B1B-A54D-437984640DEE.jpeg
    622.9 KB · Views: 40
Just gonna rub a little more salt in that wound.

Yesterday the GF and I took our pedal drives out to a spring and put in 5.5 miles downriver of the spring head with a 3-4mph current, the second time we’ve done this river. As always literally EVERYBODY stares with jealousy breaking their damn necks as we cruise right by them passing them like they’re sitting still (sometimes they are while they struggle to paddle). At least half of the people say something to the effect of “that’s what we need” or just a general compliment on the badassery of pedal drive on the absolute unit of a yak that’s a Jackson. Some asked how easy it is.

Most of the people on this river don’t even make it a mile from wherever they put in, we did the whole trip up and floated back and it wasn’t strenuous.

Also once again as is the case everywhere we go, ALL of the tourists on their rentals on the river were on regular paddle yaks, canoes, or paddle boards. Not a single pedal drive to be found other than ours but everyone on the river wishing they had ours.

The only thing that I’ve found that the pedal drive isn’t ideal for is floating downstream. It does it just fine but it’s too fast with a current to really enjoy the scenery since you have to maintain speed faster than the current to steer with the rudder. The simple solution is to just use your paddle which is what we do on the return to take in the beauty. With the stability we can also stand up and use them as a paddle board to see down into the water better. The pedal drive is still nice to have sometimes going down stream. Some turns are tight with brush on the outside that you don’t want to be pushed into and you can pedal through and steer right where you want to go without any issue which is far easier than doing it with a paddle.

Moral of the story, pedal drives fuck. But do please educate the class on more shit that you know nothing about.

Attachments

• 021EE1C0-7955-442A-BC5E-B5E258B84FB2.jpeg
    021EE1C0-7955-442A-BC5E-B5E258B84FB2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 1E8F6E9C-769F-4C32-8459-6F0DCCA9E01F.jpeg
    1E8F6E9C-769F-4C32-8459-6F0DCCA9E01F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 027B821D-61D5-4E2B-9425-766EA8633503.jpeg
    027B821D-61D5-4E2B-9425-766EA8633503.jpeg
    989.5 KB · Views: 45