• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Peddle drive vs paddle kayak?

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Currently own a Wilderness Recon 120. She's a hefty girl but I can average 2.5mph and get her up to 3-3.5 in calm water with a paddle. I had a bonafide rs117 that I could do the same in.

Was debating getting the peddle drive system to drop into the Recon but was curious what experiences you guys have had with peddle vs paddle. Is it really just moving the work from arms to feet or would I likely gain some zip with peddles? For the $800 add I don't mind the rowing if it isn't going to make much difference in speed.

Before it gets mentioned I have no intention of going electric. I'd have to register it as a boat and then I'm dealing with heavy batteries and it kills the intent of having a kayak. At that point ill just hook up the bass boat.

I have had a Wilderness Tarpon 120, Ride 115 and Commander 140 for several years now. I just recently purchased a Hobie Pro Angler 12 (Mirage Drive) and haven't even got it wet yet (was supposed to be off and go yesterday but had to go into work). I've previously tested the Hobie PA14, Hobie Outback and Native Slayer.

In my experience, the pedals didn't gain me more top speed but allowed me to maintain a higher speed for longer periods. It does just move the work from arms/shoulders/back to the legs. I like the Hobie Mirage Driver more than the Native pedals.

Of particular benefit, though, is the ability to use your hands for fishing why still maintaining forward (or backward) motion. I think it really depends on how you use the kayak.

I have had both, the nice thing about the Hobie Mirage drive is you can glug it and paddle if you choose, that said the only time I have is in very skinny water

I have a Hobie Pro Angler 14. It's decked out with lights, fish finder, down riggers, anchor and trolley...
    Since I fish as often as I can, especially in the summer, I really like being able to maintain thrust and direction while I reel in a fish or am casting along the shore. The only thing that MIGHT be a drawback is the draft but I don't fish in that shallow water anyway, but I do pull the drive out as I beach or trailer.
    The wife has a Hobie Compass Mirage. It's much lighter and more nimble...but she just peddles and talks, so...

I use the kayak when dragging the bass boat is too much of a hassle. A couple lakes/ponds local to me also charge a ramp fee but launching a kayak off the bank is free. Also use it when I go back up north to visit the wife's family.

I don't trailer it and don't intend to, throw it in the bed of the truck and that's it. Thinking on it now it would be nice to maintain position in the wind and if there is a current going. If I could maintain 3-3.5 in the wind that would be worth it to me too. I've paddled 2.5 miles to hit a spot and that simple extra mph would cut 20min out of each way.

I feel like I would but do you guys carry a paddle collapsed too just in case?

I have a predator 13' from ocean kayak. I feel like it was as fast or faster than my buddies hobie. But i was kinda jeaous of how he could manuver and fish at the same time.

I use the kayak when dragging the bass boat is too much of a hassle. A couple lakes/ponds local to me also charge a ramp fee but launching a kayak off the bank is free. Also use it when I go back up north to visit the wife's family.

I don't trailer it and don't intend to, throw it in the bed of the truck and that's it. Thinking on it now it would be nice to maintain position in the wind and if there is a current going. If I could maintain 3-3.5 in the wind that would be worth it to me too. I've paddled 2.5 miles to hit a spot and that simple extra mph would cut 20min out of each way.

I feel like I would but do you guys carry a paddle collapsed too just in case?
    Definitely carry that paddle!!! I have the one that Hobie sent with the PA14. It breaks down and I have it stowed. Also, tether that thing. I tether most everything.
    Edited to say: If you want to just toss it in the truck, that PA14 is not your beast. I most often trailer both of ours but I have a carrier I rigged for the top of my Jeep (lifted 4") for when I head out alone. There is some great fishing to be had in small lakes not very accessible to other floating craft. I use this T-bar thing to rest the Kayak on then run my synthetic winch line back to pull it up top. Works great!!!

Last edited:
    Definitely carry the paddle. As @Aftermath stated, the one Hobie supplies with the PA12 and PA14 is collapsible. The PA12 is no lightweight, either. The PA 12 is 120 lbs without the seat, drive or any other accessories. The PA 14 is 120 lbs.
    The Outback is "only" 85 lbs.