• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican 1700 or Storm IM3100, max temperature rating

broncoaz

Gary Coleman told me to F off
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
I’ve got a 1700 case setup for my main rifle (pic below), I’m satisfied with the fit and function and it fits in the trunk of my sedan lengthwise. I can fit a 1720 case in the wife’s SUV, but 90% of the time I use my sedan for the range and the 1720 is too long. I’m looking at buying a second case for an AR and pistol, possibly with a second foam for two Benelli Montefeltro shotguns. The Storm IM3300 case is .7” deeper and with an additional layer of foam (4 instead of 3) I can possibly put the shotguns in vertically instead of horizontal and maybe fit 3 instead of two if desired. With the 1700 I can barely squeeze the two shotguns inside if I get creative. The folding side handle on the IM3300 would be nice, but the fixed handle on the 1700 doesn’t bother me.

My concern with the IM3300 is the temperature rating with a max of 140 degrees. I live in AZ and there will be plenty of times where this case will spend time in the trunk of my car in the Phoenix summer where temps can be pushing 140 degrees. The 1700 is rated to 210 degrees, and judging from my 1450 camera case, it survives no problem in the desert summer. Does anyone have an opinion or direct experience on the durability of the IM3300 type case in the high temps?

For those concerned about leaving the case in my car unattended, I travel for work days at a time and do some shooting at my destinations. I do have a cable that allow me to lock the case into the car and I disabled the button on the door to open the trunk so it only opens with the fob or physical key. I can’t always remove the case overnight, but most of my stays are Airbnb in private residences rather than hotels. I know it’s not ideal, but I think the hard case locked in is better than unsecured soft cases. I carry specific insurance on everything that would be in the cases. I have looked at fabricating some sort of vault in the trunk of the car, but I also have a second battery, ARB 37 quart refrigerator, and swapped to a full size spare tire/rim, so weight is becoming an issue as the rear sags slightly already.

Attachments

• BD187FAB-3268-411F-90EF-4338D4839728.jpeg
    BD187FAB-3268-411F-90EF-4338D4839728.jpeg
    626.6 KB · Views: 166
I guess I’m going with another Pelican 1700 case since I know it has the temp rating.