• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican case foam cutting advice/techniques

Palehorse68

Get busy living or get busy dying
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
Lancaster, PA
I have two that I bought from Midway during Christmas. One for my Noveske SBR and the other is for my FNH A5M. What are some of the better techniques you have used or heard of. I just want to make sure that I don't mess it up. I've seen a few videos on YouTube, but wanted to hear from SH members before I start hacking away. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

Re: Pelican case foam cutting advice/techniques

Trace out your layout with chalk and then cut it out with an electric knife. Keep the foam pieces as you can modify those to fit back in the case and hold other items.

Cut

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mXhT7WtIsTg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mXhT7WtIsTg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Cut has it right on target. Trace your rifle, mags, bi pod, and whatever else with regular old chalk. Use an electric filet knife and go to town. Takes longer to trace your gun with chalk than it does to cut it out. Make sure you hold the knife up and down so you don't get any curved cuts.

You can tape off the foam with masking tape so no marker lines are visible, but what I like to do is mark the backside and cut it that way the edges are clean, your wife electric knife is essential, get some scrap foam to practice on.

Thanks...will be purchasing an electric fillet knife first thing tomorrow..

Something different...I couldn't seem to get precise cuts with the electric knife and used a fine hacksaw blade and just cut by hand. Took longer but seemed to work better for me.

i did mine with a magic marker, and a Up-scale kitchen knife, one of those fancy super sharp ones, granted it's not super-duper great, i think i did okay for my very first time, i just laid everything out traced it, then took the middle faom out and cut it on the floor. I could have prob did a better job arranging stuff, but /shrug i can always buy a new foam center if i need to change anything.

IMAG0062.jpg

There's a good tutorial on TOS about making your own hot knife. It definitely gives you better results than the electric kitchen knife method.

Trace stencils out of poster board. Clean them up with a straight edge and err on the small side. Pin them to the foam. Use an electric filet knife and go slowly. Focus on keeping the blade vertical. It definitely doesn't hurt to get a hand from someone in case the stencils start to move with the vibration.

My first effort:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3325643

I was very happy with how it turned out but I ended up changing my layout and found an even better option if you're willing to pay more $:

The best option is trace as near perfect (again erring on the small side, clean up the stencils) stencils as you can and lay them out on the foam as you wish. Take a photo of the layout. Take a photo of the equipment with the stencils that represent each item. Contact Battle Born Arms in Las Vegas.

http://www.battlebornarms.com/

I am having trouble remembering the owner's name but he was fantastic to work with. Give him a call if you're interested. I think it was $100 and all he wanted was to make sure I was happy. I haven't taken pictures since but my current case foam is perfectly clean (no ragged edges). I couldn't be happier. Good luck with whichever route you choose.

A guy in my gun club does a really good job with a hot wire foam cutter like one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-S...rds=foam+cutter

He charges 50$ and I don't mind paying him because it always comes out better. I was using an electric knife up to that point and it came out okay, but when he does it it looks like somebody at pelican did it.

Magic marker and a razor sharp hunting knife worked just fine for me.

I used a sharp Stanley knife to cut the foam in my case. Just trace around your rifle and other bits and pieces with a felt tip pen and cut away.
It’s a lot easier than you think.
I wouldn’t was your money on stencils or getting it machine cut.

Just my.2c

Trace outline with chalk and cut with elect. knife. Wipe off chalk with wet wash rag and let it dry.

$9.99 Black and Decker electric carving knife from Walmart and a Sharpie worked well for me.

I'm gonna use one of those Olfa snap off razors. I would think it should work good with clean cuts.

I'm gonna go with the fillet knife...but the hot wire option looks promising..thx everyone.

After cutting you can finish it with a layer of plasti dip. If using electric knife make sure to get comfortable playing with the blade's speed. Helps when cutting tight corners.

Electric knife does a good job.