• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PELICAN Cases: Storm, Air, or Protector?

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
For those who are familiar with Pelican's recent model lines, what say you?

Protector series, Air series, or Storm series? Info seems to indicate the Protector and Air series have stainless steel in the axles and locks for better corrosion resistance, while the the Protector has aluminum (aluminum corrodes but doesn't rust).

Thanks in advance.

Unless you are going on a plane just get a good soft case. Otherwise the storm cases have always been good to me.

Reactions: ma smith
I have a protector series. It works great but is heavy and awkward to use for range trips, so it sits in the basement. You didn’t mention your needs, so if considering for travel, it’s a great way to go.

A good soft bag like a TacOps or AIM (MHSA supplied) are far better for range trips and local use.

Reactions: Sniff
I have a protector series. It works great but is heavy and awkward to use for range trips, so it sits in the basement. You didn’t mention your needs, so if considering for travel, it’s a great way to go.

A good soft bag like a TacOps or AIM (MHSA supplied) are far better for range trips and local use.

Exactly my experience.

My Pelican case weights 12kg. (Over 26 pounds). Haven't used it in about 20 years. Sitting in the basement.

Reactions: kRcu
+1 Not for everyday range trips. Also not for long term storage. So you need to store them empty. If you need to use the locally, remove the foam and just throw soft bag inside the hard-shell.

The air case is lighter but less protective, the Pelic case is highly protective but small interior. Storm is a slightly more spacious version peli, but arguably less well suited to air-travel. If you ever need to use these for domestic air travel, these small details are more relevant.

I have over 25 Pelican cases I've collected over the years...

The best Pelican case I found was buying a Nanuk several years ago. 😉

I haven't bought a Pelican since.

Just for reference, I flew 75+ times last year (and average 50+ flights a year) and 75% with a long rifle in a case (frankly, I'm tired of flying with firearms after doing so for 2 decades). Broken countless Pelicans. Nanuk is still going strong.

With that said... Ask yourself what you need the case for. All their lines are specific for use.

I have over 25 Pelican cases I've collected over the years...

The best Pelican case I found was buying a Nanuk several years ago. 😉

I haven't bought a Pelican since.

Just for reference, I flew 75+ times last year (and average 50+ flights a year) and 75% with a long rifle in a case (frankly, I'm tired of flying with firearms after doing so for 2 decades). Broken countless Pelicans. Nanuk is still going strong.

With that said... Ask yourself what you need the case for. All their lines are specific for use.
Nanuk r for sure a great alternative to pelican.

Nanuk cases are out for me- it's a French Canadian company.

I have several protector and storm cases and an air suitcase. They are all great cases. I have pelican 1400’s and 1450’s that are heavily used gear cases some of which are over 20 years and I don’t think I’ll ever wear out. I’ve got storm and pelican gun cases that are almost as old too. The air is newee and it’s a carry on so the baggage handlers haven’t gotten the opportunity to have their way with it but I do plan on buying a second larger one to use as a checked bag.

I don’t think you can go wrong with anything they make except the Vault series. I bought a briefcase size one and it felt very cheap compared to the others.

Like has been said, if you aren't flying there is no real reason to buy a hard case. Just get a high quality soft case with padding like the AG or Triad Cases.

Nite knows his shit about air travel and I have seen some of his pelican collection (its impressive).

He flys Alaska which is nice because you can go over 50 pounds and pay the overage fee (I think its $50 or $100) but this is WAY cheaper than shipping via UPS/Fedex and they are always loosing and stealing your shit so fuck that.

Most of the quality Pelican/Storm rifle cases are about 20-25 lbs. Add a 20-25 lb rifle and a few pieces of gear and you are already over the 50 pound limit most airlines have. So you will either have to strip down into a different cheaper case (Like the vault 770) and put less gear in or fly an airline that lets you go over.

I am flying out west this summer to shoot a match and booked Alaska for 4 reasons:
1. Direct cross country. When flying with guns, Always fly direct so there is no chance of them losing the luggage. Would suck to fly to match and your shit gets delivered on sunday of a 2 day. Might as well light $1500-2K on fire.
2. They allow over 50 lbs, which makes bringing a ton of match gear (Pushing 125 lbs between everything). I can take a IM3300 hard case, put my match rifle inside a soft case in the hard case, throw tripod and some other gear in there to fill voids and have it around 70lbs. Then I will also use a Pelican 1640 and put my pack, cloths, ammo, bags and all the other shit for the match in there. This will let me take a small carry on and not have to take a 2nd backpack.
3. Don't have the same trash as the poor airlines. Its nice to fly around actual humans and not hood rats and 500 lb whales taking up your armrests.
4. Wife had enough points the flight is free. I would still have paid the $900 for the flight if it wasn't. Worth it IMO.

The other piece of advice that was given, always carry your scope on the plane. Do not leave it in there to get banged around. Larue makes an awesome padded scope case you can put in your carry on.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Like has been said, if you aren't flying there is no real reason to buy a hard case. Just get a high quality soft case with padding like the AG or Triad Cases.

Nite knows his shit about air travel and I have seen some of his pelican collection (its impressive).

He flys Alaska which is nice because you can go over 50 pounds and pay the overage fee (I think its $50 or $100) but this is WAY cheaper than shipping via UPS/Fedex and they are always loosing and stealing your shit so fuck that.

Most of the quality Pelican/Storm rifle cases are about 20-25 lbs. Add a 20-25 lb rifle and a few pieces of gear and you are already over the 50 pound limit most airlines have. So you will either have to strip down into a different cheaper case (Like the vault 770) and put less gear in or fly an airline that lets you go over.

I am flying out west this summer to shoot a match and booked Alaska for 4 reasons:
1. Direct cross country. When flying with guns, Always fly direct so there is no chance of them losing the luggage. Would suck to fly to match and your shit gets delivered on sunday of a 2 day. Might as well light $1500-2K on fire.
2. They allow over 50 lbs, which makes bringing a ton of match gear (Pushing 125 lbs between everything). I can take a IM3300 hard case, put my match rifle inside a soft case in the hard case, throw tripod and some other gear in there to fill voids and have it around 70lbs. Then I will also use a Pelican 1640 and put my pack, cloths, ammo, bags and all the other shit for the match in there. This will let me take a small carry on and not have to take a 2nd backpack.
3. Don't have the same trash as the poor airlines. Its nice to fly around actual humans and not hood rats and 500 lb whales taking up your armrests.
4. Wife had enough points the flight is free. I would still have paid the $900 for the flight if it wasn't. Worth it IMO.

The other piece of advice that was given, always carry your scope on the plane. Do not leave it in there to get banged around. Larue makes an awesome padded scope case you can put in your carry on.
Apple air tags on your case are amazing tools when flying with your rifles. I use them and I have people on my flights who use them. Every now and then someone comes up and says their rifle isn’t on board. I have no problem tracking it down. Despite what the news says, the number of bags lost or stolen is minuscule when compared to the number of bags that are moved on planes.

Air tags are your friend. You can also remove the bolt from the rifle as well. If it’s stolen, at least it can’t be used. Unless the criminal is smart enough to identify and source a replacement. Not likely.

Apple air tags on your case are amazing tools when flying with your rifles. I use them and I have people on my flights who use them. Every now and then someone comes up and says their rifle isn’t on board. I have no problem tracking it down. Despite what the news says, the number of bags lost or stolen is minuscule when compared to the number of bags that are moved on planes.

Air tags are your friend. You can also remove the bolt from the rifle as well. If it’s stolen, at least it can’t be used. Unless the criminal is smart enough to identify and source a replacement. Not likely.
Thats a great idea. Going to order a few now!

I prefer the latches on the Storm/Vault to the original style. That makes a big difference IMO.

Larue makes an awesome padded scope case you can put in your carry on.
I have used the LaRue soft scope cases for years. Their construction quality is tier one; cheap insurance for nice glass. I also use the Schmit & Bender soft scope covers (S&B labels them "tactical bags") as they have a nice handle allowing you to carry the entire rifle like an old school M16. I have the Pelican 1750 and there is a reason it has wheels!
1+ for the Airtag. Was at the artic circle in Norway last month @ the IceHotel and someone picked up my Vertx EDC backpack with lots of goodies including cash. I tracked it off the hotel property, but had to depart country the next morning. Airtag showed it returned to the property, notified management of its location and they recovered it! Cost $400 to ship it stateside via mybaggage.com (DHL carrier), but pro ipad, surefire dual fuel, and ca$h was still present in a Magpul waterproof document pouch. Someone swiped my Surefire pen in U.S. Customs as it was inventoried as present at the hotel. Nonetheless still a good recovery.
Sorry for the long winded posting.
DSCN3107 copy.JPG
IMG_3219 copy.JPG
IMG_3214 copy.JPG
IMG_3211 copy.JPG
IMG_0166KAC SR-25 WITH SUPPRESSOR BLACK SCOPE & SLING RMR MOUNTED POOLSIDE 07.30.21 copy.jpg
IMG_0177KAC SR-25 WITH SUPPRESSOR BLACK SCOPE & SLING RMR MOUNTED POOLSIDE 07.30.21 SERIAL NO ...jpg
IMG_6930BACKPACK ADVENTURE.jpg
IMG_6937BACKPACK ADVENTURE.jpg