• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican ice chests

Re: Pelican ice chests

There bad ass , little on the heavy side , but have a lifetime warranty and are made in the USA ! Think I will have one

They are pretty sweet. Got a chance to but hands on one before they announced them for sale. I really like the latches (replaceable) and handles as well as the teathered drain plug. Made here in the us for the same price yetti is making there's overseas. The unconditional lifetime warrenty makes the deal even sweeter.

Yeti coolers somewhat suck. I have a 45 quart I use almost daily, it was given to me by a customer a couple years ago. They are tough, as it has outlasted any other cooler I've ever had, but the ice retention is absolutely terrible. Side by side with a coleman cheepie, I pack the yeti with food items and the coleman with drinks (which gets opened 10x as much) on camping trips and the yeti melts down in under 48 hours. The coleman would last 3 days. I continue to use the Yeti only due to it's stability on the boat, and the fact I can get away with icing it down twice a day.

Thanks for the heads up I will be ordering one of these Pelicans within the next week

If you are wanting a cooler that is tough and holds ice checkout the canyon coolers. My BIL has a 210qt we use for elk hunting. On the 8 day and beyond we still have to get the food out when we get back from the morning hunt to have it thawed by supper. These aren't cheap but work very well.

My Yetis work great. You have to pre cool them, as good as they hold cold in they are equally as good at holding in retained heat. Mine gets pre loaded with ice 48 hors before a trip and right before we leave I change out the ice. On a desert trip our 120 qt Yeti held ice for two weeks in 100+ degrees

I cannot speak to the 120 quart, but most of the smaller ones have been the same as mine. I keep ice in mine round the clock with a charter business. If you are using dry ice, almost any cooler can keep ice for much longer. But if i pulled my Yeti out of a walk-in freezer with a solid block of ice inside it wouldn't last 1 week on a boat down here.

Tough as nails-but the coleman insulates better for under 1/4 the price. Don't get me wrong, I use the Yeti, but for the money it disappoints me in the cold department. If you side by side with a coleman extreme the coleman out insulates the Yeti by a wide margin. I can't wait to try out the pelican.

That is good to know, I just bought the 45qt, but reallyhavent used it in the heat yet.

As far as loading the 120, it usually gets a 3 or 4 blocks of ice and then crushed ice to fill in the voids.

We use yeti's everyday and keep them iced down. THey have worked great for us. We keep em cable locked to the truck and I drug it down a hyway 6 miles before I realized it. Got pics to prove it. So far they have been great. But I HATE the handles.

try the brute outdoor coolers, 100 to 120 cheeper than the yeti, made in the USA, thicker and holds ice for at least 5 days, i had ice in the cooler for 10 days now, this cooler is bad ass

I NEED A 150-qt TO 170-qt Cooler for next fishing season. Icey-Tek (170) or Yeti (160) preferred. If anybody knows of a sale.... PLEASE SPEAK UP.

AnschutzNerd

There is a good profit margin on YETI's so if you know somebody that sells them they could probably give you a good deal (I doubt you will find sales unless you contact people directly because of MAP). That's how I would try to do it and don't wait till right before you need it because it takes a lot longer to get the big ones in.

I do a fair amount of commercial fishing. We use Engel's and Icey-Tek. Engel has seconds sales through the company for good savings and will take orders for what you want and call you when they have a second....and they are warranted. Engels for smaller 250 qt. or so and Icey-Tek about 600 qt in the truck bed. The Pelicans look nice also. The upper level coolers like these are durable with replaceable parts and that is what makes them worth the money. A cooler like a Coleman Extreme really does keep ice very well and on par with the high end coolers but we destroy them in 1/10th the lifespan of the high end coolers.

Engel's are priced a bit less than Yeti. Either should last a lifetime. We use the 80qt Engel's and are hoping for that "lifetime" of use... Ice lasts a week+ in daytime temps in the mid 80's, build quality is excellent. Buying one of their 123's for a cow elk <span style="text-decoration: line-through">hunt</span> shoot.

I have an Engel a yeti and the small brute force coolers. The brute is not as nice as the Yeti or the engel.
Chris @ Sport Optics hooked me up with my Engels. I have had nothing but great service from Chris and Jay. so I guess I will stick with whatever products they sell.

wdebo, the first Brute coolers were a little rough, but I don't think you've seen the latest Brutes. They're on par with any Yeti or Engel cooler in fit and finish, and are made in the USA now too. I like the latches on the Brute better than my Engel, and way better than the Yeti's. The Brute also has drains on both ends now too, and I really like the hard handles on the Brute too.

http://www.texashuntersdepot.com/

I put 40 pounds of ice in a 50 quart Brute, and a 80 quart Engel a while back when the highs were in the 80's and opened them up once a day. Not completely an apples to apples comparison due to the size difference but it was all I had at the time. On the seventh day the Brute still had some ice floating in the water, so did the Engel but not as much.

I guess it sounds like I have a stake in the Brutes, I don't at all, I just like them.

Yes mine are older Brutes. The only new ones I have are the small ones they discontinued due to poor quality control. I spoke to brute about my problems they sent me one free of charge and said the coolers were being made in china, and they were not happy with the finished product.

There's no more of that. They have everything ironed out now and they're made here in the USA and well worth the money.

Like I said before, the ones they have now don't EVEN compare to the ones you originally had.

Check out K2 coolers guys. My buddy owns a part of the company. Makes all sizes, squares and rectangles. They are about 30% lighter than a YETI or ENGEL. Holds ice the same.

I've heard good things about them. If they're anything like the cases, then they are very nice.