• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican or Storm case?

zack-s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Ohio
About to order one and would like to know which is better or are they pretty much the same? Ive never actually seem either of the cases and dont know how the latches work. Id liek to fit a 20 inch R700 in a mcmillan stock and ar15 in it if possible. So whats everyone like better the storm 3300 or the pelican 1750?

Re: Pelican or Storm case?

I have both. Pelican is much stronger from personal experience. It's also much heavier but bomb proof. The Storm case will do the job and is much lighter. With the Storm case you have to be careful with the latches, especially when it's cold. I've snapped one, and have seen others go through the same fate. They seem to get brittle in the cold. This was a few years ago, so I don't know if they solved that issue.

Pelican did buy Storm not that long ago as a merger in this product line. They are still made differently but they are one company now.

I have both. The Storm has latches on each end (for a total of six), the Pelican has four latches on the side. Both have survived numerous trips through airline luggage handlers.

I personally prefer the latches on the Storm cases over the Pelican design, but both are extremely rugged cases. I have traveled all over the place (US and Int'l) with Pelican, Storm, Starlight and other hard cases. I would trust any of the TSA and baggage handling monkeys with my firearms/scopes/etc. in either the Pelican or the Storm. I would personally buy whichever best suits your needs (there are some minor size differences between the two companies) and also whichever you can get cheaper.

I prefer Storm for the latches (as mentioned before)

Honestly, having both, I can't tell the difference in them.

I like Storm cases, the Pelican are nice also. Really don't care for the Starlite case I have.

Pelican is rated to both higher and lower temperatures than Storm, and Pelican passes IP67 (dust tight, and water tight to 1 meter submersion for 30 minutes). The Storm iM3300 does not make that claim.

I think Pelican is the better case, and I like the latches better than Storm, too.

I have flown for years with my large Starlight case, same size as the large Storm or Pelican, and never had an oversize charge. You won't get one with the Storm or Pelican. You can get an overweight charge so make sure it's under 50lbs.

Also don't ask about an oversize charge as they will be happy to take your money if you bring up the idea.
wink.gif

By the way I would highly recommend the Starlight. I know that doesn't help your question but my case has flown alot and taken a beating and has never let any damage happen to the contents.

Atleast with the double rifle case I like pelican better. The latches
are a pia but with the Storm you get 6 latches to deal with 2 more then
Pelican so that was the deal breaker for me.
I do like the looks of the Storm better!

Plan on replacing the foam with something that doesn't absorb moisture. I don't store in cases but better safe than sorry. Minicell or another closed cell foam is the way to go. Mini is more expensive but bombproof. Cut it with a foam cutter off ebay. Hot wire sort of thing.

Using the same foam that came in my Starlight years ago and still working fine. I traced tight and cut out with a razor knife. Works good.

Some pics of why a good case is needed when handing your luggage to a baggage handler. Watched a guy drop my case from about 3 feet onto the concrete. Didn't even lose zero when checked at the range.
P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010073.jpg

I am a creature of Habit and have used Pelican from day one and refuse to change. 100's of flights with my rifles and i am still using the same pelican with no issues!!

Another vote for pelican! I've gone the route of storm and had alignment issues... just turned me off to the brand.

I have a Storm; I got that design because I like the latches better. I'm looking at getting an additional smaller case for my AR, and I will most likely go with storm, just because I have not had any issues with it. I use my stuff hard, and the only damage I've been able to do is scratch the hell out of the exterior. Hell, I even threw it into a pond once with my rifles inside just to see what happened... no leaks at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoredEngineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you plan on traveling with your guns on an air line do yourself a favor and check out this chart on the pelican site. Some airlines will charge 100 dollars each way for over sized baggage.

http://www.pelican.com/airline_allowance.php </div></div>
Most airlines have a size exception for sporting goods. Skiis, golf clubs, fishing rods, etc. Rifle cases fit into that category. I have never had an oversize charge. I fly a lot, and I always bring my rifle.

Pelican. I have a 1720 and 1750

I've used the Pelicans from the military and LEA. I've also used and purchased the Storm cases. I like the latches on the Storm cases as far as the protection I have not seen either case destroyed or the contents of either damaged. I think the prices for the Storm are little less. So I think its really just what you like. I prefer the Storm cases also because they are a little lighter and for LEA applications where we seldom .....ah never drop out of airplanes this weight reduction vs armor is a fine trade off

I used a Pelican in the military and I currently own a Storm 3300 and I would feel comfortable using either. I have traveled with my Storm on multiple airlines and have never had any problems or any oversize fees but I will tell you that if you want to travel through the air with your rifle you had better get one of these two types of cases because they (TSA) will beat it up pretty bad. Mine has scratches and scrapes all over the exterior but never any damage or loss of zero.

I have both, Storm latches are much better. I have had the pelican open at the airport but if locked no real issues. The Storm latches will not open. Pelican cases seem to be made of heavier material, stronger but I prefer the Storm. Chevy/Ford debate.

I've only used Pelican and SKB's 3I line, so I can't really speak for Storm. But I would have to recommend Pelican just for their long standing reputation for protective cases. The only downside is that I find them to be too narrow, I can usually only fit one long gun per case.

The Pelican 1720 is probably a better fit for a 20" barreled rifle and I think you will be challenged to fit both rifles simultaneously in a 1750 - specially with optics.
- I have a 26" barreled rifle in a McMillan A4 and with optics, nothing else but a handgun would fit with it in my Pelican 1750.
- My 1720 holds either 18" AR10 with PRS stock, or a 20" AR15 with PRS stock.

I own several Pelican rifle cases and SKB gun cases that I'm very happy with, but no Storm's. Can't comment on them.

my 2c.

Went with the pelican 1750. Its on sale at midwayusa for 179

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a Ford/Chevy argument. I have both and feel comfortable with either although if I HAD to chose one I probably would choose the Storm. </div></div>

+1 coke or pepsi

I have a 1750 and just ordered a new 1720 last night from boss safety products. They had a better price than anywhere I could find. Great follow up today, they sent an automated email and a written email to let me know it shipped today. Now I just need to make a hot wire foam cutter.
I only spend money for good cases for my highend guns. The pelican just seemed to be the strongest case so I have stuck with them.

I have seen a Storm and Pelican in person and honestly couldn't tell a difference in strength. I know the Storm has two more latches and are different then the Pelican. I bought a Pelican 1750 over the Storm because I could get the Pelican in Desert Tan. Both are great cases!

Have the IM3300 and use it throughout the winter......happy with the unit and haven't busted a latch yet, but the point is noted to take it easy on em.

We hit -34 ambient last Jan 1..... I think anything would snap in that exposure.