• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican Rifle Setups

3fingervic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Clinton Twp., MI U.S.A.
I searched on this site and a few others. I couldn't find much of what I was looking for. I am looking into getting a Pelican rifle case. I wanted to see how you guys set yours up as far as spacing and equipment you fit into them. I guess it doesn't have to be a Pelican to help me get inspired.

Re: Pelican Rifle Setups

I have a Pelican case with open-cell foam for one of my ARs. I don't have it cut out in the middle layer any more because that ended up being annoying for me with open-cell foam. I now leave out the middle layer

I recently purchased a TRG-22 from Alex at EuroOptic. I went with the custom Explorer case option because it had closed-cell foam pre-cut for the TRG-22. I had never heard of the Explorer cases prior to seeing them on Alex's site. I believe they are made in Italy.

In my view, the Explorer case is much nicer than the Pelican case from a design and build stand point when compared to the Pelican 1750 I used to own. Simple considerations on the Explorer case such as how the carrying handle does not rotate though a full 180 deg (which can pinch fingers) and the lid hinge having a detent for staying open either a full 180 deg or just past 90 deg make a difference in everyday use for me.

Closed-cell foam seems superior to the open-cell foam. It is more dense and does not absorb or retain moisture as I understand it.

I still think Pelican makes a nice case, and they may offer a closed-cell foam option now. If they do, strongly consider it.