• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican Vault 700 for a rifle with a folded stock?

cynologist

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2022
Virginia, USA
I'm trying to find a good hard case that can hold my AT308 when its stock is folded. I think I've settled on the Pelican Vault 700 which appears to have appropriate interior dimensions to support my rifle (I'm measuring a touch over 4 inches thick with the stock folded and the bolt removed, and 31 inches in length without suppressor attached). But I'm a bit concerned with the pressure from the foam and the case walls being concentrated on the rear of the rifle where it's the thickest, there might be a little bit of bounce in the case on the front end.

Do any of you store a folded rifle in a hard case like this? Do you have any pointers on doing so that I might be overlooking? Is there a better case than this Pelican that I should be considering?

I'm trying to find a good hard case that can hold my AT308 when its stock is folded. I think I've settled on the Pelican Vault 700 which appears to have appropriate interior dimensions to support my rifle (I'm measuring a touch over 4 inches thick with the stock folded and the bolt removed, and 31 inches in length without suppressor attached). But I'm a bit concerned with the pressure from the foam and the case walls being concentrated on the rear of the rifle where it's the thickest, there might be a little bit of bounce in the case on the front end.

Do any of you store a folded rifle in a hard case like this? Do you have any pointers on doing so that I might be overlooking? Is there a better case than this Pelican that I should be considering?
Pelican cases are solid.

Pelican Storm Case im3200 or if you want it a bit deeper, im3220. I use both of these for AI rifles.

Pelican Storm Case im3200 or if you want it a bit deeper, im3220. I use both of these for AI rifles.
44inch intertior works great with folder and barrel up to 24-26 inches with not-too long muzzle brakes.

I don't recall exact number, but it's a 1700/1720/1750.
One of those is the one you seek....

I know, I'm asking more about peoples experiences specifically with a folded stock which makes a comfortable fit more of a challenge.
The fit isn't a challenge, as much as you need to relief cut the foam for the folder. Check out the foam lid and the relief cut.
Here is the page from mile high on the version they sell, which should make sense.

2016-08-07_10.00.24__99393.1502215642.jpg

FYI - If you plan on traveling with this, I'd go with the Protector series over the Vault. While I don't have any Vault cases, when i did take a look at them, they were not nearly as hard or sturdy as my Protectors, which I have flown with numerous times without issues.

FYI - If you plan on traveling with this, I'd go with the Protector series over the Vault. While I don't have any Vault cases, when i did take a look at them, they were not nearly as hard or sturdy as my Protectors, which I have flown with numerous times without issues.

Yeah, I noticed that the Vault line has only a three year warranty instead of the normal lifetime warranty you get with other Pelican cases which surely says something about their durability. But I think it's okay in this case, being that the main objective for me here is just to have a fitted hard case that can fit in the back of my Mini Cooper which I think the Vault 700 will do fine. I'll upgrade to one of the other options if I ever need to fly with it.

This had an ATAX originally and just happens to fit my CA MPR well. I can fold the stock no problem. No need to remove bolt. It’s a Pelican Vault. I like the latches the best on these.
5D7F8B88-8FFA-4D31-8388-F8A37F765FFB.jpeg

Last edited:
per OP's original post, are people confirming it WILL work for a folded AT in terms of width with these specific models?

Have pondered this exact ? before. thank you OP

per OP's original post, are people confirming it WILL work for a folded AT in terms of width with these specific models?

Have pondered this exact ? before. thank you OP

I'm still waiting for a form 4 to process and for my scope to come (it's on back order), but it seems that it will all just barely fit. Below is a picture of everything minus the scope arranged on the foam insert (I haven't cut it yet). I'll need to cut extra space in the padding for the extra bulk of the folded stock, but it all looks like it'll go together nicely. Note that my rifle has the SilencerCo Charlie ASR muzzle brake attached, which adds a bit of length to the 20" barrel.

IMG_2356.jpeg