• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pen Raised deer

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
Is it just me or are the antlers of some pen raised deer that look more like blackberry thickets Just plain ugly.

EFE5E026-F7B2-43EC-8C7A-C6C4BD571AAF.jpeg

Yeah that’s not pretty at all. But I sure the hell would shoot it if it came by me. In the wild that is. Not a fan of high fence.

Not just you. But as said above, I’d shoot it if it walked by my blind.

Reactions: 338dude
Is it just me or are the antlers of some pen raised deer that look more like blackberry thickets Just plain ugly.

View attachment 8070243
Is that not an European Fallow Deer? And I believe they raise them for meat and antlers because Asians think they antlers (and just about every fucking thing else) will put lead back in their pencils.

Big time Dallas lawyer owns a property that I shoot hogs on for him (I'm just a poor Oklahoma boy).

Two years ago he showed me a photo of three of his buddies after they all tagged out on a high fence hunt together, and all three had 40+ point non-typical monsters. 125lb bucks with 225" racks that looked like brush piles.

I wasn't super impressed (although I pretended to be), but then the lawyer slipped up and said that it cost each one of them $15K for their trophy. I became even less impressed in a hurry. For the record: I don't know if $15K is the actual price, or if that was just what was said to me...I have never priced a Texas high-fence trophy hunt...but $15K was the amount stated.

So, yeah, I can see that there is enough demand for genetically altered deer that people will invest the $$$ to pen raise some just to parade them in front of a group of dopes every season.

Big time Dallas lawyer owns a property that I shoot hogs on for him (I'm just a poor Oklahoma boy).

Two years ago he showed me a photo of three of his buddies after they all tagged out on a high fence hunt together, and all three had 40+ point non-typical monsters. 125lb bucks with 225" racks that looked like brush piles.

I wasn't super impressed (although I pretended to be), but then the lawyer slipped up and said that it cost each one of them $15K for their trophy. I became even less impressed in a hurry. For the record: I don't know if $15K is the actual price, or if that was just what was said to me...I have never priced a Texas high-fence trophy hunt...but $15K was the amount stated.

So, yeah, I can see that there is enough demand for genetically altered deer that people will invest the $$$ to pen raise some just to parade them in front of a group of dopes every season.
Figure like $5k-7k for a 150” buck, then $100 per inch over that. $15k sounds in the ball park. There ain’t an animal on the planet that I’m that mad at…

My dad and I went to South Africa for a hunt a few years ago. Both knocked down a kudu and wildebeest. The trip was 5 days guided, fair chase, low fence. Air fare, amenities, hunt, tip, and taxidermy for both of us came to about $12k total. The high fence weekend hunts in Texas, for a Kudu, cost around $15k per person (from what I’ve seen).

It’s literally cheaper to fly to Africa to hunt than it is to hunt a trophy in texas

Reactions: 338dude and BurtG

I know of a deer "broker" that buys and sells for ranches. He's told me they spend from 10 to 25K on a buck just for genetics. that deer is only for breeding the ones that get shot unless one of them gets bigger.

• Wow
Reactions: diggler1833
Depends on how high the fence is. Someone I know harvested a really good Aoudad Sheep on a ranch in south Texas that specializes in big horn sheep and some exotics.

So, it might not seem sporting to hunt inside a high fence area. Is that less ethical than parking a blind 70 yards from an auto-feeder?

I can say that I am the most ethical hunter because I harvest deer by putting salt on the tail (think about it.) :D

So, side story, I always butcher songs. I appropriated the melody from the theme song for the old TV show, "Flipper" with Lloyd Bridges.

My version -
"They call me asshole, asshole, asshole.
I wonder why."

My friend, Lee would reply -
"Because you are one, are one, are one.
There's no need to wonder why."

Ah, good times.

My dad and I went to South Africa for a hunt a few years ago. Both knocked down a kudu and wildebeest. The trip was 5 days guided, fair chase, low fence. Air fare, amenities, hunt, tip, and taxidermy for both of us came to about $12k total. The high fence weekend hunts in Texas, for a Kudu, cost around $15k per person (from what I’ve seen).

It’s literally cheaper to fly to Africa to hunt than it is to hunt a trophy in texas
Who did you go with?

Actually, some time ago, like decades ago, I read a news story about how people in China were raising Saint Bernard dogs as a food item, like we raise cattle.

And remember, the current president is friends with these people. So, he probably means something different if he likes hot dogs.

Belgian Mailnois Tar Tar, avec au jus.

isn't that like kicking the restarted kids on the bus ? while it may seem funny , they just stand there waiting for there turn to die ...blank looks on there faces . like if you just went off and kicked your dog for no reason it would not understand to run from you get away flee , except the penned animals have no such place to run or go . it also don't seem like it would be all that fun .

So, my wife is a veterinarian.

I took her on a farm call to do a health inspection on a zebra of all things about a month ago. The owner bought the zebra for breeding jennies (female donkeys...pronounced "JIN-nees" in these parts) because he saw a donkey/zebra cross go for sale for $7-8K somewhere. I don't know man...not my circus, not my monkeys.

Anyway, the guy also runs a "hog, goat, and sheep" hunting ranch (name withheld), and he gets quite a bit of business.

While we were riding out to look at this zebra (he needed an inspection for insurance purposes), we had to leave his cattle area and go to his "hunting" area. Yep...high fence.

As soon as we went through the gate the stampede of hungry goats and sheep came towards us. I'm not even sure you could keep them far enough away from the SxS to not have to worry about injuring yourself when you shot one of them. That's not an exaggeration, they were climbing up in the back of the SxS to look for feed...We had to kick them away just to look at the zebra.

Now the owner is an older gentleman, and I hold no grudge against him. But I can't for the life of me figure out how in the hell a trophy-hunting dude would come up with a story about an awesome hunt that ended up in success, when I am 100% positive that there is a goat/sheep shot opportunity within 120 seconds of the sound of that gate being opened. Or you can go for a walk in there while he turns his dogs loose and catch whatever hogs are still stuck inside the fence.

Again, nothing against the owner. He's a good old boy, who is just seizing the opportunity to make some money off of hunters who want a guaranteed success. But damn...you might as well be hunting in a petting zoo.

So, my wife is a veterinarian.

I took her on a farm call to do a health inspection on a zebra of all things about a month ago. The owner bought the zebra for breeding jennies (female donkeys...pronounced "JIN-nees" in these parts) because he saw a donkey/zebra cross go for sale for $7-8K somewhere. I don't know man...not my circus, not my monkeys.

Anyway, the guy also runs a "hog, goat, and sheep" hunting ranch (name withheld), and he gets quite a bit of business.

While we were riding out to look at this zebra (he needed an inspection for insurance purposes), we had to leave his cattle area and go to his "hunting" area. Yep...high fence.

As soon as we went through the gate the stampede of hungry goats and sheep came towards us. I'm not even sure you could keep them far enough away from the SxS to not have to worry about injuring yourself when you shot one of them. That's not an exaggeration, they were climbing up in the back of the SxS to look for feed...We had to kick them away just to look at the zebra.

Now the owner is an older gentleman, and I hold no grudge against him. But I can't for the life of me figure out how in the hell a trophy-hunting dude would come up with a story about an awesome hunt that ended up in success, when I am 100% positive that there is a goat/sheep shot opportunity within 120 seconds of the sound of that gate being opened. Or you can go for a walk in there while he turns his dogs loose and catch whatever hogs are still stuck inside the fence.

Again, nothing against the owner. He's a good old boy, who is just seizing the opportunity to make some money off of hunters who want a guaranteed success. But damn...you might as well be hunting in a petting zoo.
When I was a kid, I hunted a property (all goat/low-fence) that had goats and Barbados sheep on it. If you were unfortunate enough to have a goat or sheep herd in the area when the feeder went off, you wouldn’t see any deer. The goats and sheep would Hoover up all of the corn like it was their job. Wild turkeys would do the same thing. The owner asked my dad to shoot one of the sheep one evening. Compared to even a young deer, that barbado was “slap yo‘ mama” good eating. I’d do a high fenced sheep hunt just to get cooler full of high protein and grain fed mutton. Factor in a weekend vacay away from the internet and its cheaper than buying from the store.

When I was a kid, I hunted a property (all goat/low-fence) that had goats and Barbados sheep on it. If you were unfortunate enough to have a goat or sheep herd in the area when the feeder went off, you wouldn’t see any deer. The goats and sheep would Hoover up all of the corn like it was their job. Wild turkeys would do the same thing. The owner asked my dad to shoot one of the sheep one evening. Compared to even a young deer, that barbado was “slap yo‘ mama” good eating. I’d do a high fenced sheep hunt just to get cooler full of high protein and grain fed mutton. Factor in a weekend vacay away from the internet and its cheaper than buying from the store.

This guy's place you literally drove through the young ones to get to the house. Loaded up on a SxS, and drove out to the shooters.

We don't have to hunt game in a cared-for property free of predators and varmints. We can let them run wild and take hours to die while a wolf devours them one mouthful at a time.

So, if shooting an animal at relatively close range is not ethical and shooting past (400 yards according to some) is not ethical, is it not ethical to hunt the animals at all?

The caring for that land is caring for the herds as if his paycheck depended on it. Primarily because his paycheck depends on it. And dying from a bullet or arrow is quicker than a wolf. A wolf goes for the stomach, first because there is no bone. So, the prey is still alive for a quite a while.

"Was he a man of good taste?"

"No, he was a bit tough and stringy."

I would enjoy hunting, either way. And most properties do have fences. At least tall enough to keep out some animals.

We don't have to hunt game in a cared-for property free of predators and varmints. We can let them run wild and take hours to die while a wolf devours them one mouthful at a time.

So, if shooting an animal at relatively close range is not ethical and shooting past (400 yards according to some) is not ethical, is it not ethical to hunt the animals at all?

The caring for that land is caring for the herds as if his paycheck depended on it. Primarily because his paycheck depends on it. And dying from a bullet or arrow is quicker than a wolf. A wolf goes for the stomach, first because there is no bone. So, the prey is still alive for a quite a while.

"Was he a man of good taste?"

"No, he was a bit tough and stringy."

I would enjoy hunting, either way. And most properties do have fences. At least tall enough to keep out some animals.
truth-hurts-photo-u1

LOL ;-)

You misinderstood me, I think. I was being sarcastic. I will hunt anything, anywhere. Some people think that high fence hunting is unethical. No one can agree. First, 1376 yards is not ethical. Now, inside a fence is unethical.

If we don't hunt these beasts and bring them down quick, they die a slow and painful death from predation or starvation.

Last edited:
You misinderstood me, I think. I was being sarcastic. I will hunt anything, anywhere. Some people think that high fence hunting is unethical. No one can agree. First, 1376 yards is not ethical. Now, inside a fence is unethical.

If we don't hunt these beasts and bring them down quick, they a slow and painful death from predation or starvation.
Was just yanking your chain, my friend. Just a bit of fun....hence the ;-) a the end.

Cheers

Reactions: Ronws
Was just yanking your chain, my friend. Just a bit of fun....hence the ;-) a the end.

Cheers
Okay. Sometimes hard to see the wink of the eye in text. Yes, that "see, no one cares" meme is so great and it fits so many things.

Reactions: Modoc and Baron23
I wonder if back country hunting is any more "ethical." If the animals go there because the hunting pressure is too great on private property, then are they "penned in" by surrounding private property?

If we leave a piece of land alone so that game finds it enticing and we hunt it, how is that any different than planting food plots? I know, I am just cranky because I am getting GD tired of people telling me that no matter what I do, my hunting is "unethical."

Is it ethical to shoot a bolt through a cow's brain in order to have steaks and brisket?

Dont' care who gets upset like a fudd, I am okay with that.

Fight me.

Reactions: Modoc
I wonder if back country hunting is any more "ethical." If the animals go there because the hunting pressure is too great on private property, then are they "penned in" by surrounding private property?

If we leave a piece of land alone so that game finds it enticing and we hunt it, how is that any different than planting food plots? I know, I am just cranky because I am getting GD tired of people telling me that no matter what I do, my hunting is "unethical."

Is it ethical to shoot a bolt through a cow's brain in order to have steaks and brisket?

Dont' care who gets upset like a fudd, I am okay with that.

Fight me.
Except that hunting pressure on public land pushes deer and elk into private property, not the other way around. The “orange army” has a way of doing that…

I know a farmer in South Africa that breeds game animals for trophy quality. He's got springbok with >20-inch long horns and regular size 50lbs bodies. It's comical. Out George, South Africa a friend of mine lives in a luxury gated community with a golf course... The golf course is home to some ~200lbs springbok. Couldn't believe they were springbok at first because they're the size of a waterbuck. Feather bedded conditions and no predators makes for some interesting results. That deer in OP's post would die within days in the wild, just like the springbok I described. They're examples of caricatures of accomplishment, not actual accomplishment. More power to em' but it's not my thing.

Actually, the Western narrative/morality of “sport” and “fair chase” is deeply offensive to many subsistence cultures who rely on game to survive. One can easily and effectively argue that your definition of “hunting” is little more than cos-playing for a spoiled, fat, stupid baby. It is essentially no different than someone who won’t pick up a spinning rod because they think a fly rod is the only way to fairly catch a trout, and then goes and eats an industrially farmed ribeye the size of a radiator. If hypocrisy is the enemy then both virtue signaling assholes are completely guilty.

I’m more of a, “A plague on both your houses”, type of guy. I bow hunt for elk in the Rockies every September, and two weeks ago my family caught 65 trout (averaging 3 lbs with some as big as 5.5 lbs) at a privately stocked stream. Most were caught in cut bait and jigs, though I did catch a few on flies. We had a blast!

I spent summers laying gill nets for flounder and setting eel traps with my grandfather. I haven’t heard much about nets in a long time, but when I was a kid it was regular Green Peace fodder. I wish they could have seen me with the Inuvialuit stringing nets across the river to catch every spawning char!

I’m much fucking happier than you, because I actually don’t GAF what you do as long as it isn’t poaching. I DGAF, so I’m the only one who is actually not a hypocrite. I hunt and fish however the locals do it, and that’s usually the most effective and fun way. I’m pretty sure if I hunted with cave men I’d help drive a herd of megaloseros off a cliff…and be happy.

• Love
Reactions: Mr. Z and Ronws
Actually, the Western narrative/morality of “sport” and “fair chase” is deeply offensive to many subsistence cultures who rely on game to survive. One can easily and effectively argue that your definition of “hunting” is little more than cos-playing for a spoiled, fat, stupid baby. It is essentially no different than someone who won’t pick up a spinning rod because they think a fly rod is the only way to fairly catch a trout, and then goes and eats an industrially farmed ribeye the size of a radiator. If hypocrisy is the enemy then both virtue signaling assholes are completely guilty.
Amen.

Reactions: Herb Stoner

I’m more of a, “A plague on both your houses”, type of guy. I bow hunt for elk in the Rockies every September, and two weeks ago my family caught 65 trout (averaging 3 lbs with some as big as 5.5 lbs) at a privately stocked stream. Most were caught in cut bait and jigs, though I did catch a few on flies. We had a blast!

I spent summers laying gill nets for flounder and setting eel traps with my grandfather. I haven’t heard much about nets in a long time, but when I was a kid it was regular Green Peace fodder. I wish they could have seen me with the Inuvialuit stringing nets across the river to catch every spawning char!

I’m much fucking happier than you, because I actually don’t GAF what you do as long as it isn’t poaching. I DGAF, so I’m the only one who is actually not a hypocrite. I hunt and fish however the locals do it, and that’s usually the most effective and fun way. I’m pretty sure if I hunted with cave men I’d help drive a herd of megaloseros off a cliff…and be happy.
Did you at least pinch the barbs on those jigs, you animal?

😆

It is with no trepidation that I fired up my second deep freeze to hold all the trout we caught.

It's a really cool place. The ultimate introduction for kids to learn to enjoy fishing. We didn't take their phones away, and they never came out once. We used ultralight rigs so that every fish felt like a blue marlin.

Teh place is sort of an open secret. If you are ever in central Missouri I would highly recommend stopping for a day, catching a few giant rainbows, and drinking in that mill bar. The air coming off that cold spring water keeps it nice and cool even in the heat of the summer, and there's always a show going on below in the meat hole. It's such a nice place to drink its hard to maintain temperance.

Reactions: Mr. Z