• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pencil barrel Rem 700 in chassis or stock designed for a heavier contour

HogBoss

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2013
I've got a Remington 700 that I would like to upgrade the stock on. It has a pencil barrel with about 2000 rounds of .30-06 through it and I'm thinking it may still have enough life in it that I don't want to replace it just yet.

In the mean time, I'd like to put it into a Manners mini chassis and stock, or put it into an AICS long action stock. Since I will want to replace the barrel with a varmint, bull, or M-40 contour, would it be a good idea to buy a stock channeled for the heavier contour and allow the pencil barrel to be "extra" free floated? How will this most likely impact precision? Should I just wait until it's time to re-barrel?

It's just a matter of looks really, the Sporter barrel may or may not like being free floated, worst case you'll have to experiment with a pad at the end of the stock to put a little pressure on the barrel.