• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Photos pentax film camera

oldiephrt

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2020
Does anybody repair their own camera? My ME Super has a shattered mirror, I found a new one. How do I release the old one?

There is a big forum online for Pentax users. They can tell you how to get it fixed pretty much anywhere in the world.

Thank you Alamo5000.I had already looked into repair services that want an extraordinary amount of money to put in a $18 mirror. I have found a reference to type of glue used if mirror has fallen out. Pentax service wouldn't sell/give me repair info, "we don't repair film cameras try the internet." I;ll try the estate sale pawn shops for a donor.

If you go to Pentaxforum there are a numerous people that source and use spare parts for older film cameras. There are people that fix them professionally if you just ask. I have been a Pentax user for quite a while now (about 8 years straight) but not their film cameras. Only the latest digital stuff. That forum is a gold mine of information especially for stuff like you are looking for. They never cease to amaze me and almost everyone there is awesome nice folks that welcome new users to the forum so don't be scared of asking questions.

While I don't know for sure, but I think some people buy a similar type of camera and canabalize parts but I don't know for sure. I think a number of people on that forum have parts acquired from that method or will help you find out where to get stuff like that (IE obscure components or whatever). Again the forum members are generally a nice bunch.

A bit off topic but people often ask me why I like Pentax... and the value for the quality is outstanding. I don't really shoot videos so that's a non issue for me but with Pentax you have some insane weather resistance. At the time that I really started to get into photography more I priced everything out for a kit and it came in at 60% of the cost of the closest competitor, while at the same time the build and image quality was still better than the more expensive competition. Also they retain backwards compatibility which means any lens built in the past 40+ years will work just fine. It's pretty cool especially for 'artsy' type stuff.

Check out the video below. I have done way more harsh stuff than this to several of my cameras. On one trip I came in from the African bush looking like a racoon literally covered in fine dust. People would pat me on the back and dust clouds would rise out of my clothes. My camera was covered as well. I walked into the shower, clothes, camera, and all and washed off the camera and then myself leaving a big mud puddle...I can tell you numerous stories like that.

Pentax makes little tanks. They aren't perfect (but who is?) but I like them still. Several of their lenses are crazy nice as well. As with everything there are pros and cons.

Reactions: Bender
Again thank you. I agree with your quality assessment . I didn't want to join any more sights, as this is a project just because I hate digital. No, I have not tried a good DSlR. (learning curve too high) :rolleyes:

Again thank you. I agree with your quality assessment . I didn't want to join any more sights, as this is a project just because I hate digital. No, I have not tried a good DSlR. (learning curve too high) :rolleyes:

While I am not sure I think the forum over there has a post as a guest option. Really though digital is not hard to make the jump especially with the Pentax user interface. I pick up some Canon and Nikon gear and wonder how people can effectively navigate through all the menus. I don't have much experience on other platforms but I am sure you can pick it up with a bit of practice.

Anyway man, whatever floats your boat. I can't help you with the film stuff although I do find it interesting. The hipster side of me wants to buy a film camera and go full retro.