• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pentax spotting scope

Legdoc

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I was planning on purchasing a Pentax 65mm scope. It is now hard to find as it is being replaced by the series II. There are a few of the older model here and there. Anyone have experience with the new series? Or should I try to pick up the old model? (The latest is not always the greatest!)
Legdoc

Re: Pentax spotting scope

Have you range tested one? Pentax optics are medium quality and you may be disappointed if you plan to do anything demanding high clarity and resolution.
My 40 year old Unertl 20x50 will blow all these low/medium price asian optics away.
The high end Nikons are good but nothing equals a Swaro or Leica for serious work.

Re: Pentax spotting scope

Doug, I appreciate the info. I have spoken with Neil. I plan to spend between about $900.00-$1,300.00 for a scope to spot with as well as view the woods from my porch which is 1/2-3/4 mile. Any other suggestions are appreciated!
Legdoc