• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

People are going to freeze to death......

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
I am looking for a way to heat my shop. After doing some research I am going to do one of these cheapo chinese heaters till I get the loft built in the shop and I can put in a wood stove.

In my research I came across this video. Nothing really outstanding on the video but at the end he made some comments that I found very interesting....VERY.

If you are not interested in this stuff, just skip to 19:38 to see his comments on heating in england this winter. I found it really quite sad.

I know this is going on over there. And yea they made their bed let them sleep in it, but keep in mind where most of us live, do you really think this can't happen in the US, if you do sorry it is happening. I don't have a good video like this one where someone makes some interesting comments on a diesel heater video. I find these little bits of info tell you the real story of what is going on.

I think in my lifetime I might have seen 2 waste oil heaters.

Safest way to heat house or cabin with generator: Wood or metal "doghouse" outside the property with generator secured inside. Vents pointing away from property area. Extension lines running into cabin. Run nice, efficient, silent oil radiators off of the power. Downside: Someone who pays a little more than just momentary attention to the property will realize quickly that a generator is being run inside that doghouse and might try to steal it.

we had tons of problems with waste oil heaters. natural gas works better. i use two mini splits in my shop at home, run only one most of the time.

Reactions: Bender
"Free heating fuel, but its illegal."

You are glowing brighter than normal today asking people to discuss how to do something that is illegal.

Probably should have put quotation marks around "research."

No, he said it "CAN" run on waste oil, but in the UK, you need a license. It's designed to run on legal regular diesel.

One of my co-workers helped build and start-up an oil recycling 'factory' here in this town, in the mid 90's. Ironically, I crossed paths with him in North-Western B.C. about 5 years later.

We discussed the whole 'cracking' process and what-all was involved, and such. (not a table-top model or process). Point being, for all the waste motor-oil that is brought in (free), 80% of that is turned into Diesel fuel.

Think about that, and the volumes involved. Lot to be said about it, eh?

I have been looking for a decent waste oil heater, anyone have suggestions on brand? I was also thinking about making one for the shop.

I bought three kerosene heaters over this past year. The first one is a Kerosun Sunsprite. Even with it's lower btu rating it heats the whole house to over 74 degrees when it's 20 degrees outside. Kerosene is pretty expensive fuel. But it's the easy button for back up heat during times where there is no power.

I bought three kerosene heaters over this past year. The first one is a Kerosun Sunsprite. Even with it's lower btu rating it heats the whole house to over 74 degrees when it's 20 degrees outside. Kerosene is pretty expensive fuel. But it's the easy button for back up heat during times where there is no power.
Do you have carbon monoxide concerns with this setup? I have several jet heaters but use them in a large shop.

"Free heating fuel, but its illegal."

You are glowing brighter than normal today asking people to discuss how to do something that is illegal.

Probably should have put quotation marks around "research."

Did you catch he is in the UK, I am not. As you are talking about people doing illegal things I am guessing you are also in the UK.....or you just don't know how to listen to a video, and that would make you glow quite bright. Sorry your .gov wants people to freeze.

I have been looking for a decent waste oil heater, anyone have suggestions on brand? I was also thinking about making one for the shop.

I am currently on the fence on long term plans for my shop, roughly a 30x40 with 24 foot sides, so a lot of height. I have quite a bit of waste oil with the mowers tractors and other stuff, so I do have enough to do a home made oil stove. On the other hand I could burn brush weekly, I have that much fall from trees around the property. So a wood stove would also work quite well. I saw a oil stove made from steel wheels and think that would be cool for a shop. I really can't go farther till I get the loft built for the shop, so something that does not need to vent is in order. Been doing propane heaters, but propane is just so darn expensive, around here ~ $30 per 5 gal, and I get roughly 10 hours on a 5gal tank. Poking a hole in the side of the building is not an issue, if I toss it the diesel heater after all is finished I can use it for the solar array that powers the shop but the 220 devices. Nice having just the "hookup" bill for the shop, the bill is never over $40 for elect.

The oil burners don't seem that difficult to build, and would be a fun project.

Reactions: lariat
Do you have carbon monoxide concerns with this setup? I have several jet heaters but use them in a large shop.

They say you can use some of them indoors, but I am a bit leery of that. I have a CO alarm in the shop, but it is not the tightest building around, it has never gone off.

Reactions: xsn10s
One of my co-workers helped build and start-up an oil recycling 'factory' here in this town, in the mid 90's. Ironically, I crossed paths with him in North-Western B.C. about 5 years later.

We discussed the whole 'cracking' process and what-all was involved, and such. (not a table-top model or process). Point being, for all the waste motor-oil that is brought in (free), 80% of that is turned into Diesel fuel.

Think about that, and the volumes involved. Lot to be said about it, eh?
How much diesel fuel does he get from 100 gallons of oil?

I've kept a carbon monoxide alarm next to it at all times and so far no issues. Most people keep a window cracked open but I have not. I've noticed my flame has gotten low so I'll change out the wick since a dry burn has not helped. I have a Radiant 8 but it has an odor while burning. It hasn't set off any alarms but I suspect it produces more carbon monoxide so I'll use it only in the garage until it proves itself. As of right now I use it to augment the heat in the house during cold mornings. And it's actually proved itself to be a cost effective way to warm the home during the colder mornings. Mornings have been the coldest time of day in our area. Jet heaters I'd be more leary of inside a house. The shop no problem as they don't typically have the tight seal as a house. But in a emergency it's an option, I'd definitely crack open a window a half inch or more.

The real point with this I wanted to make is he can't afford to heat his house the "normal" way. The prices for electricity are insane for those in the UK right now, and I have a feeling most of western europe as well. All because of this stupid green BS.

Alt energy sources have a place, but that place is not everywhere.....some people can't get it through their heads. I have a small system at home but no way I would rely on it.

I started down this road several years ago when we lost power for 14 days after a snow storm, it about cleaned out my 500gal propane tank, and I ran the blower for the furnace as well as the ice boxes and fridge on the inverter, and when we needed 240 we fired up the gen....as it is propane as well.

I have a feeling that same kind of thing the UK is suffering from is coming to the US.....it is smart to be ready.

Reactions: xsn10s
Here are some designs i have found. Actually a pretty cool website.

The real point with this I wanted to make is he can't afford to heat his house the "normal" way. The prices for electricity are insane for those in the UK right now, and I have a feeling most of western europe as well. All because of this stupid green BS.

Alt energy sources have a place, but that place is not everywhere.....some people can't get it through their heads. I have a small system at home but no way I would rely on it.

I started down this road several years ago when we lost power for 14 days after a snow storm, it about cleaned out my 500gal propane tank, and I ran the blower for the furnace as well as the ice boxes and fridge on the inverter, and when we needed 240 we fired up the gen....as it is propane as well.

I have a feeling that same kind of thing the UK is suffering from is coming to the US.....it is smart to be ready.
It's possible especially on the East Coast. Over here in the West the electricity is pretty reliable, but I suspect a blackout could occur. Which is why I got the kerosene heaters as a backup. Wood stoves are good if you can get firewood. Oil stoves are an option if you have a steady supply of oil. As far as refrigerating food I'll throw my food in ice chests and just put it either outside or the garage depending on the temps.

My shop has a heat pump, and a pellet stove. The heat pump works best when it's above 30 degrees outside, the pellet stove for any colder, and when it's really cold, and really windy, i'll run both to make the shop comfortable to work in. House has heat pump only with the hot coil thingy for backup when the temp outside is too cold, and a fireplace that does a remarkably decent job keeping the main floor warm. I would love to get a pellet stove installed in the house, but our electricity rates are so cheap, it would cost more to heat the house with the pellet stove, than electricity.

I used to have a wood stove in the shop that worked very well, I just got tired of having to split wood all winter long, and the joys of dealing with scammers when trying to buy wood, and in most cases build a fire every morning. It was nice knowing that if shit got spicy with a sustained power outage during a cold winter snap, that we could just stay in the shop until power was restored. Now we'd need to have a small genny running to power the pellet stove, but that's at least a viable option.

I know the .gov has been cracking down on wood stoves, and there are certain parts of the country where they are supposedly banned. I'm sure they will start to crack down more on people have the ability to not have to be reliant on the .gov for help.

I like the idea of a waste oil heater though, may have to look into one, looks to be better than the way I heated my shop when I first moved out here, one of those forced air kerosene heaters that sounds like a jet. Would just fill it with off-road diesel all winter long to keep the shop warm. Wife always bitched at me for smelling like diesel exhaust. Pretty sure that's why i'm mildly retarded now.

Branden

My shop has a heat pump, and a pellet stove. The heat pump works best when it's above 30 degrees outside, the pellet stove for any colder, and when it's really cold, and really windy, i'll run both to make the shop comfortable to work in. House has heat pump only with the hot coil thingy for backup when the temp outside is too cold, and a fireplace that does a remarkably decent job keeping the main floor warm. I would love to get a pellet stove installed in the house, but our electricity rates are so cheap, it would cost more to heat the house with the pellet stove, than electricity.

I used to have a wood stove in the shop that worked very well, I just got tired of having to split wood all winter long, and the joys of dealing with scammers when trying to buy wood, and in most cases build a fire every morning. It was nice knowing that if shit got spicy with a sustained power outage during a cold winter snap, that we could just stay in the shop until power was restored. Now we'd need to have a small genny running to power the pellet stove, but that's at least a viable option.

I know the .gov has been cracking down on wood stoves, and there are certain parts of the country where they are supposedly banned. I'm sure they will start to crack down more on people have the ability to not have to be reliant on the .gov for help.

I like the idea of a waste oil heater though, may have to look into one, looks to be better than the way I heated my shop when I first moved out here, one of those forced air kerosene heaters that sounds like a jet. Would just fill it with off-road diesel all winter long to keep the shop warm. Wife always bitched at me for smelling like diesel exhaust. Pretty sure that's why i'm mildly retarded now.

Branden
At least you stopped using it. Never go full retard.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Diesel Heaters are standard equipment in offshore fishing boats during the winter, exhaust venting is important so you don't fall asleep and never wakeup.

When I was stationed at Misawa, three guys from AGE went camping. Set up a kerosene heater in their tent and woke up dead the next morning. Fast forward a few months and we're recalled at zero-dark-thirty for an exercise. I walked into my control center in time to hear the conversation between one of my controllers and the AGE dispatcher. The dispatcher was explaining they couldn't deliver equipment yet as their manning was still low. My controller (think Army Jerry) responded, "Why? Did they go camping?"

Yeah, I had to answer for that during the AA meeting.

• Haha
More fear mongering? Be afraid people...be very afraid. You'll either die of Covid or you'll freeze to death or starve to death this Winter. We are all doomed - the sky is falling. Look out! Kiss yer ass goodbye. Been a long time coming but the End of The World is upon US.

Odd....I'm not worried. Prolly 'cause I'm dumb as a sock.

VooDoo

Reactions: D_TROS
I used to have a wood stove in the shop that worked very well, I just got tired of having to split wood all winter long, and the joys of dealing with scammers when trying to buy wood,

Branden
Me -"But a cord of wood is 4'x4'x8'"

Them- "We're selling Facecords."

"But you advertised a cord"

"We're selling Facecords."

Ill pay you for 2/3 of a cord, whats there, or you can put it back on the truck and leave."

"What? 😤 "

"Let me know what you decide."

Reactions: EddieNFL
Me -"But a cord of wood is 4'x4'x8'"

Them- "We're selling Facecords."

"But you advertised a cord"

"We're selling Facecords."

Ill pay you for 2/3 of a cord, whats there, or you can put it back on the truck and leave."

"What? 😤 "

"Let me know what you decide."
I had a guy I ordered 2 cords from, verified on the phone that they understood the dimensions of a cord of wood, and she confirmed on the phone that I was going to get a stack that was 8x8x4tall. Guys show up with a large trailer full of wood, and i'm thinking good deal, this works, and the guy gets out and says that about 8' of the front of the trailer is the wood for me, and he wants $400 before he'll start stacking. I say that's not 2 cords, and I ordered 2 cords stacked 8x8x4 for $400, he said take it or leave it, so I said if you aren't going to give me 2 actual cords of wood, i'm not taking any. He threw some attitude, left in a huff. He was dead a few hours later.

It was a little wild to me to think that could have been me. I would never pay up front for something like that, and I wouldn't leave until they were done stacking. But imagine what would have happened if I said ok, and they stacked me barely a cord, and if I would have refused to pay the $400.

The world is a better place without those two fuckbags though.

Branden

Branden

In looking at different laws I found it amazing that in some places in the US it is illegal to collect rain water. That just boggles my mind.

I am really thinking things are going to get much worse before they get better. I had to dump my water as I don't yet have a way to keep it from freezing.

I had a guy I ordered 2 cords from, verified on the phone that they understood the dimensions of a cord of wood, and she confirmed on the phone that I was going to get a stack that was 8x8x4tall. Guys show up with a large trailer full of wood, and i'm thinking good deal, this works, and the guy gets out and says that about 8' of the front of the trailer is the wood for me, and he wants $400 before he'll start stacking. I say that's not 2 cords, and I ordered 2 cords stacked 8x8x4 for $400, he said take it or leave it, so I said if you aren't going to give me 2 actual cords of wood, i'm not taking any. He threw some attitude, left in a huff. He was dead a few hours later.

It was a little wild to me to think that could have been me. I would never pay up front for something like that, and I wouldn't leave until they were done stacking. But imagine what would have happened if I said ok, and they stacked me barely a cord, and if I would have refused to pay the $400.

Branden
Good god that is some scary stuff right there.

Just goes to show you never know....I try to tell that to my kid when he is on the road, he is a truck driver.....you never know if that guy in the car so upset is going to start shooting at you.

Reactions: Maggot and xsn10s
When I was stationed at Misawa, three guys from AGE went camping. Set up a kerosene heater in their tent and woke up dead the next morning. Fast forward a few months and we're recalled at zero-dark-thirty for an exercise. I walked into my control center in time to hear the conversation between one of my controllers and the AGE dispatcher. The dispatcher was explaining they couldn't deliver equipment yet as their manning was still low. My controller (think Army Jerry) responded, "Why? Did they go camping?"

Yeah, I had to answer for that during the AA meeting.

What a perfect response. 🙂

I would have asked the AGE dispatcher why he/she wasn't delivering.

Reply:
Uuuhhh, ah cain't, ahm the dispatcher.

Bullshit! Unstick your ass from that velcro chair, get in the bobtail and get shit delivered.

AA meetings were a frickin squirm fest for so many. 😂😂

That's really too bad. Glad the son is alright but how foolish to die over some cords of wood. Strange times indeed. I used to cut six cords or more for my winter heat. I found four cords for a friend's Mom this past spring. The area a cord of firewood cost $250- over $300. I lucked out and found it for $180 a cord (rounds). The guy delivered it with his son and he dropped off slightly more than four cords just to be on the safe side. There's still honest people out there.

20221130_132444.jpg
20221130_132400.jpg

God still takes care of his own.

I don't have a shortage of heat, lol.

I am currently on the fence on long term plans for my shop, roughly a 30x40 with 24 foot sides, so a lot of height. I have quite a bit of waste oil with the mowers tractors and other stuff, so I do have enough to do a home made oil stove. On the other hand I could burn brush weekly, I have that much fall from trees around the property. So a wood stove would also work quite well. I saw a oil stove made from steel wheels and think that would be cool for a shop. I really can't go farther till I get the loft built for the shop, so something that does not need to vent is in order. Been doing propane heaters, but propane is just so darn expensive, around here ~ $30 per 5 gal, and I get roughly 10 hours on a 5gal tank. Poking a hole in the side of the building is not an issue, if I toss it the diesel heater after all is finished I can use it for the solar array that powers the shop but the 220 devices. Nice having just the "hookup" bill for the shop, the bill is never over $40 for elect.

The oil burners don't seem that difficult to build, and would be a fun project.

From a long time ago in a different world so to speak.
How to heat a building with large amounts of scrap dry plant matter.

Burn pit enclosed in a big brick structure
Large, thick, cast iron pipe running through brick structure, that had lots of metal fins welded to the outside of it.
Big electric fan on one end of the pipe pushing in fresh outside air.
Other end of the pipe feeds the air distribution system at ground level for the structure.

Throw all your brush in the burn pit, light it up, wait for the pipe to get good and hot, kick on the fan and all good to give you lots of heat.

If you were so inclined you could change the design to have adjustable amounts of re-circulation instead of all fresh.

If you wanted to get rid of the electricity part all together, you could drive the fan from steam, but that's way more complex.

What a perfect response. 🙂

I would have asked the AGE dispatcher why he/she wasn't delivering.

Reply:
Uuuhhh, ah cain't, ahm the dispatcher.

Bullshit! Unstick your ass from that velcro chair, get in the bobtail and get shit delivered.

AA meetings were a frickin squirm fest for so many. 😂😂

I was in one after a Cornet Lightning. Our SQ CC had forgotten to initiate our part of the recall roster. My mid-shift controller called me about 0500 and said, "Apparently, the ballon went up around 0230." I told him to gather all the mid guys at the appropriate location and standby. I lived close, so I'm there is maybe 15 minutes and started directing who to where. The first two lines were late.

In the AA a 462 type complained they launched two birds without armament. I looked at him and said, "You launched targets?" As the recall SNAFU was well know at that point, nothing else was said.

Several months later when (at my Chief's request) I wrote my EPR, it included a bullet about my performance that morning. When he saw it he called me and said it would probably ruffle feathers, but he would leave it in. A few days later he told me there was no way the SQ would allow it. I was selected for Senior next cycle and the azzhat refused to come with the LG to congradulate me. Fuckin' zeros.

Branden

Some fucking Russians local here tried to pull that shit on me once. wanted cord of hardwood, and they brought a trailer pile of 2 and 3" trimmings from hazel nut trees.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender and Maggot
In looking at different laws I found it amazing that in some places in the US it is illegal to collect rain water.
And in California, they want to tax the Sun.
Recent modification to the rules & regs about home solar power had something in the language that was headed for taxing the solar power obtained from light falling on the solar panels. "Comrade, you have exceeded your photon allotment for this tax period, penalties and fees will assign..."
Lots of people fought that part and won it's removal, but it is clear what .gov will do to home solar power owners in the future.

From a long time ago in a different world so to speak.
How to heat a building with large amounts of scrap dry plant matter.

Burn pit enclosed in a big brick structure
Large, thick, cast iron pipe running through brick structure, that had lots of metal fins welded to the outside of it.
Big electric fan on one end of the pipe pushing in fresh outside air.
Other end of the pipe feeds the air distribution system at ground level for the structure.

Throw all your brush in the burn pit, light it up, wait for the pipe to get good and hot, kick on the fan and all good to give you lots of heat.

If you were so inclined you could change the design to have adjustable amounts of re-circulation instead of all fresh.

If you wanted to get rid of the electricity part all together, you could drive the fan from steam, but that's way more complex.
If youre going to all that trouble just build a Russian style fireplace with a woodstove insert. The Russian design uses a lot of mass to store warmth for hours, but tends to have a small firebox and short burn time. Adding the stove can extend burn for hours and keep the masonry heated.

www.motherearthnews.com › sustainable-living › greenMy MOTHER’s House Part VII: A Masonry Russian Fireplace

Sep 01, 1982 · In a typical Russian fireplace, a load of fuel will be all but out after only three hours, but the warmth that’s been absorbed by the bricks will continue to radiate for another seven to

Interesting, that seems a good return. Whats the energy involved in the conversion?
These are numbers that I'm not remembering. In short, this is a 'cracking tower' and I'm sure that there are many here who can explain this better. Suffice to say, the company supplied its own fuel for the road, sold a lot of it, made other things, and was legislated out of business.

There is a LOT more to it, than what I'm touching on, but the point being made is "molecular-chain-ly speaking" engine oil and diesel fuel are quite close together. In the process of 'cracking' these chains, tar and other volatiles are always made/given off, but through heat and vacuum there are many possibilities.

As also stated though, we're not talking about a home/table-top unit. Think of the concept though. Free raw materials that are delivered TO you, and you end up making something that folks pay premium dollars for. Can't have that, lets shut it down.

Just like SO MANY other industries that used to be in this city.

So now, the oil collection facility is still standing there, and the oils/lubricants that they collect are trucked to the east coast where the closest refineries are, and they are cracked there. Because that is so much economicaller and gooder'er for the environment.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what position of the government is the person owning/invested in that trucking company?

• Sad
I think in my lifetime I might have seen 2 waste oil heaters.
They are actually pretty common up here... Lots of construction companies and 'fleet' operations use them. I give about 2 barrels of waste oil from the shop a year to a high school buddy who runs one. Most of our waste oil is super clean... break-in oil and similar. They love getting our barrels!

They work just fine. They're not illegal.... here. But you have to have a constant supply of waste oil. If you have 40 trucks in your fleet, however... and friends giving you oil... you can heat a shop all winter for less.

Biggest issues are filters, but if you filter things well, they work great.

Sirhr

They are actually pretty common up here... Lots of construction companies and 'fleet' operations use them. I give about 2 barrels of waste oil from the shop a year to a high school buddy who runs one. Most of our waste oil is super clean... break-in oil and similar. They love getting our barrels!

They work just fine. They're not illegal.... here. But you have to have a constant supply of waste oil. If you have 40 trucks in your fleet, however... and friends giving you oil... you can heat a shop all winter for less.

Biggest issues are filters, but if you filter things well, they work great.

Sirhr
I have barrels full of used hydraulic oil and way lube I need to use or have an environmental place take away for $5 a gallon. Can you give some detail on what kind of filter you are talking about?

I have barrels full of used hydraulic oil and way lube I need to use or have an environmental place take away for $5 a gallon. Can you give some detail on what the kind of filter you are talking about?
I don't know... I just give away the oil. The guys who run the waste oil heaters filter it and run it with no issues. The filtering is just to get stuff out so it doesn't clog the nozzles, from what I understand.

$5 a gallon to 'take it'? Really? Fucking commie eco ripoff fags, sounds like.

Ask around... someone has to be running a waste oil heater near you. They will send you Christmas Presents for the free BTU's!

Sirhr

Reactions: Bender and Maggot
In looking at different laws I found it amazing that in some places in the US it is illegal to collect rain water. That just boggles my mind.

I am really thinking things are going to get much worse before they get better. I had to dump my water as I don't yet have a way to keep it from freezing.
PXL_20221201_222523368.jpg

PXL_20221201_222500901.MP.jpg

I use these for my cattle water tanks.
Edit to add:
Plug it into a GFI protected circuit or we could be reading about you in the meet your maker thread

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot and NoDopes
I don't know... I just give away the oil. The guys who run the waste oil heaters filter it and run it with no issues. The filtering is just to get stuff out so it doesn't clog the nozzles, from what I understand.

$5 a gallon to 'take it'? Really? Fucking commie eco ripoff fags, sounds like.

Ask around... someone has to be running a waste oil heater near you. They will send you Christmas Presents for the free BTU's!

Sirhr
Yeah it's a racket. Environmental waste and such. That's the main reason I am thinking about a waste oil heater. That would only leave the coolant, so I have to have it moved out or buy an evaporator.

I can probably make a filter in the shop that will catch all the big stuff without too much of a fuss.