• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

People that have tried alot of stocks (help)

jayph

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
At the end of the day I would love a rifle based on each stock but the truth is I am likely gonna have to choose one and shoot it for a while. I have no way to get behind any of these for my self and the only one I have owned is a A-5. If you have owned all of these or more than one I would love to here your thoughts.

The rifle wil be shot 50/50 bench and prone. weight will not be an issue as this rifle will be heavy. I would also like a desighn that handles recoil well. Also any likes and dislikes you found.

I know each person is different but I would like to here your thoughts.

McMillan A-5
McMillan A-4
McMillan McHale
AI A.I.C.S.
Manners MCS-T2

I went through every makers site and those were the ones that pleased my eye.

Thanks

Jason

Re: People that have tried alot of stocks (help)

The part that makes the most difference for me is the grip. I use an A5 and I believe the A4 feels the same. I like how vertical it is mostly. I've tried an AI but didn't like it at all. It felt too skinny and when it was comfortable to grip my trigger finger was through the trigger guard to the second knuckle. I had to pull my finger back to engage the trigger properly. I don't have huge hands but it was too small feeling for me. I haven't tried the others.

It depends on the user. I have owned and used all listed, with the exception of the Manners, I have felt one and it was very well designed. Although the McMillan McHale is not extremely popular, I had a GAP 338LM with one and really liked it. The A4 and A5 have a very similar feel in the grip area, main difference is the forend.

If you have large hands and Jimmy Dean sausage fingers, the AICS may not suit you, the grip is fairly thin. I have owned a dozen or more AI rifles and AICS chassis rifles, they suit me but they are definitely not for everyone.

Kirk R

I have only had chance to get behind the A5, and AICS, and I like them both. Both of these stocks are very forgiving to the shooters. Beyond the function and features, its all personal preference, you will have to get behind them to know what you would like the most.

AICS is heavier, so if you shoot bench or prone, its a +, but in alternate positions I would prefer A5 or A4. You can't go wrong with either one though.

I have tried the A-5, A4 (own one right now) and a Manners t2 and t4. Honestly my first pick would be the A4 then the Manners line. bottom line is get what fits you, its what will serve you best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayph</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the end of the day I would love a rifle based on each stock but the truth is I am likely gonna have to choose one and shoot it for a while. I have no way to get behind any of these for my self and the only one I have owned is a A-5. If you have owned all of these or more than one I would love to here your thoughts.

The rifle wil be shot 50/50 bench and prone. weight will not be an issue as this rifle will be heavy. I would also like a desighn that handles recoil well. Also any likes and dislikes you found.

I know each person is different but I would like to here your thoughts.

McMillan A-5
McMillan A-4
McMillan McHale
AI A.I.C.S.
Manners MCS-T2

I went through every makers site and those were the ones that pleased my eye.

Thanks

Jason </div></div>

Jason,

Finding the right rifle stock for you, is like finding the right gal to marry. Many are pleasing to the eye, but aren't worth settling down with.

Like with women, the only way to pick a stock, is to spend some time with one, and get to know it a bit.

I also noticed weight was not one of your concerns, so how about cost? On a cost per delivered features, the AICS line will deliver more for less feature wise, than any of your other alternatives. I have an AICS 2.0 that I dote on, but many do not like them.

The good news, all of the stocks your considering are outstanding values and popular. Which means resale is excellent if you choose poorly.

I wish wives had an equal resale value, I'd be a rich man right now.........

Oh, well. Best of luck with your choice,

Bob

I own, have owned or at least have shot rifles equipped with all of those stocks with the exception of the Manners MCS-T2 (although I have handled the Manners without a rifle bedded to it...just the stock itself). I personally like them all as they are all extremely well-made, but I run AICS units on my precision rifles out of personal preference. Second to the AICS, I like the McM A5 out of the remaining stocks you have listed based on the "fit" of the stock for me and the wider/flatter forend compared to the A4.

With all that said...no matter what you can glean from posts here about these stocks...the simple fact comes down to which stock will best fit/suit YOU, your shooting style and budget.

Out of curiosity, where are you located that you don't have anywhere within a reasonable distance to you that you can catch up with members here or other shooters to lay hands on the different options you are considering??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own, have owned or at least have shot rifles equipped with all of those stocks with the exception of the Manners MCS-T2 (although I have handled the Manners without a rifle bedded to it...just the stock itself). I personally like them all as they are all extremely well-made, but I run AICS units on my precision rifles out of personal preference. Second to the AICS, I like the McM A5 out of the remaining stocks you have listed based on the "fit" of the stock for me and the wider/flatter forend compared to the A4.

With all that said...no matter what you can glean from posts here about these stocks...the simple fact comes down to which stock will best fit/suit YOU, your shooting style and budget.

Out of curiosity, where are you located that you don't have anywhere within a reasonable distance to you that you can catch up with members here or other shooters to lay hands on the different options you are considering?? </div></div>

I live in Canada on the prairies and have lots of places to shoot but not many people to shoot with. The few I have come across have the same I did an A-5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The part that makes the most difference for me is the grip. I use an A5 and I believe the A4 feels the same. I like how vertical it is mostly. I've tried an AI but didn't like it at all. It felt too skinny and when it was comfortable to grip my trigger finger was through the trigger guard to the second knuckle. I had to pull my finger back to engage the trigger properly. I don't have huge hands but it was too small feeling for me. I haven't tried the others. </div></div>

+ 1 for 1S1K post above - well stated.

I do have large hands and the A5 fit best. I tried an AIAE, but did not like the ergonomics - it felt real small. I was considering an AI and fortunately found out before I sunk the cash.

Kevin

consider the mcm a3 as well, i think it is a very underrated stock.

i like that and the manners t2, but thats because i prefer no butt hook.

I currently have an A5, A3 and T4, my favorite is the Manners T4 followed by McMillans A5. The grip angle/size fits me better on the T4 other wise it would be a toss up between those two.

Stocks are so personal, you need to determine what features you like. I prefer the vertical hand grip of the McM A-series. I prefer a high comb without the need for adjustable cheekpiece and I like light weight stocks. The McM A3 Edge is my favorite.

I have rifles in the following stocks.
Custom Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor - AICS 1.5
Custom Rem 700 300 Mag Manners - T4A
Kimber Advanced Tactical 308 - Mcm A5A
FN-SPR-A2 308 - Mcm A4
Here is my opinion of them. Best fit off the bench is the Mcm A4, it feels the best in my shooting hand. Then the T4A,AICS then the A5. For prone shooting its the AICS,T4A,A4 then A5.
All stocks fit people differantly if you can try to hold as many as you can before choosing. Personaly I prefer the fit and feel of my Sako TRG the best!

Do you have an apple head, block head or egg head?

This will narrow it down.

I have owned a couple different styles like the A-5, HTG, A-3 and AICS. I am partial to thumbholes. Although I wasn't sure about the AICS when I first got one, after a couple days with it that was it - it feels like your driving the car rather than just riding in it. The down fall is it doesn't ride from the bench bags well - I run mine bi-pod only. The KMW might help a little for a universal use but I love my AICS. If you buy one and ultimately decide an AICS is not for you there re-sale value holds up pretty well.

Good luck and hope it helps,

JamieD