• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Perfect" Cartridge for Suppressed 18-20"?

lencomatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
COS, CO
I see a lot of posts about wanting a shorter barrel so the rifle is still maneuverable with 10" of can on it. It got me wondering if there is an ideal cartridge for this. It seems like there will probably be a trade off in barrel life trying to get speed back up with a faster powder since everybody wants it to get to 1000 yards too. I know my 20" 308 got to 2550 with 175's and I don't think much powder was wasted in that barrel length. So I was thinking maybe that 7 creedmoor would be good with a 20" barrel and 162's? I also wonder how a 6x45 would do with a 105-115g bullet for this length barrel? What do you guys think? I guess I'm asking a question that's probably been asked a 1000 times but maybe in a better way?

Last edited:
If your not trying to shoot subsonics then it doesn't really matter... I've shot 178gr bullets at 2650 from my 18.5" ar308 suppressed and it was decently quiet and I was hitting steel past 900yds.

I'd want a .300 BLK in 16" if I planned on shooting suppressed and quiet was your main concern for shooting subsonic, but trajectory with super would suck.

Personally, I've found the best thing to do is come to grips that there is no perfect solution. You're going to compromise. Pick your poison and roll with it.

Something big, heavy, and, slow

458 socom, 45/70

Something like that would be awesome for subsonic hunting.

WTF? 300BLK and 45-70 as suggestions for a 18-20" barrel 1000 yard gun?

OP, 223AI or 308. Either will do what you're wanting. I would think most of the 6's, 6.5's, and 7's would blow a bunch of unburnt powder out the end but I don't have experience with those under a 22-24" barrel.

260/6.5 Creedmoor/6.5x47 Lapua pushing a 123 Scenar with H4350 OR Varget

Hey guys let me put the brakes on this one and rephrase the question. I personally am not wanting something subsonic, thats not the question. What I'm wondering about is, why are people building shorter barreled Magnums and Short Mags? If you only have enough barrel to burn 40-45g of powder why use a cartridge that uses 60-70g's? I was thinking that any powder burned outside of the barrel is a waste and harder on the can. If thats true then would a smaller capacity cartridge with less overbore be more efficient and get the performance these guys are looking for?

I just got through putting together a 18" 6.5x47L shooting the 95 grain vmax suppressed @ 3000fps. It's going to be my main hunting rifle (whitetail and yote).

1_zpsc840ab57.jpg

Video of my 16.5" 308 savage... 3 subsonic 3 supersonic, the target was 100 yards