• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Perfect Long Range Multi Purpose Rig

Guyotrd

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I am finally going to stop over shooting all my hunting rifles at the range and get a proper tool built - I am looking to get into long range target, shooting handloads at the bench and every now and then possibly take the gun on a hunt for Elk where If I am good enough I will take shots 450 yds and under.

I am trying to balance weight, ballistics, recoil and cost of loaded ammo / components. I am about to pull the trigger on a custom and would appreciate feedback

At this point I am thinking 7MAG, Cut Rifling - Medium Palma Barrel with Fluting, Surgeon Action and KrG Bravo Stock, Timney Trigger - it will be 13 lbs with the Steiner 5x25x56 on it.

I have considered 6.5/284, 6.5 PRC and CM as well as 280 REM and AI and settled on the 7 MM RM due to the great ballistics, cost of loaded ammo and brass and ability to shoot heavier bullets - I am too old for a 300 WM or 338 Lapua. I also have a Bergara 6.5 CM, Sako 6.5-06, Bar 338 WM and a couple Africa Model 70's (375 HH and 458 WM)

The barrel is the big question . Sendero profile, Palma Light or Medium and I am still not sure the 7 RM is the way to go in 2018. I would get a 24" barrel

Any help would be appreciated - I am 57, 5'9 and shrinking and 160 lbs and in relatively good shape.

Last edited:
If you're just going to be shooting steel, why not have another 6.5CM built? At the ranges you've listed for hunting, it would be more than capable. Not saying the 7RM is bad, but a 6.5CM will be much more enjoyable to shoot longer strings with.

Reactions: character0
With a 24” Sendero, bipod, sling, tactical scope, base, rings, caps etc, it will be well over 14lbs complete.

I running a proof in the sendero and it did get me closer to the 12-1/2# all in with the good stuff.

I think people often forget to weigh all the extras.

Heck a sling can easily be over 1# or as low as 6-8oz..

Either way the stuff adds up

I've got a Rem 700 .308 with a 26" med palma barrel in a Bravo topped with a Bushnell HDMR2 in MDT rings and it weighs 13.5lbs with a Harris bipod and an empty mag. Oh and if you get a Bravo, get the spigot, it makes a nice chassis much nicer. That forend is just too short.

I am finally going to stop over shooting all my hunting rifles at the range and get a proper tool built - I am looking to get into long range target, shooting handloads at the bench and every now and then possibly take the gun on a hunt for Elk where If I am good enough I will take shots 450 yds and under.

I am trying to balance weight, ballistics, recoil and cost of loaded ammo / components. I am about to pull the trigger on a custom and would appreciate feedback

At this point I am thinking 7MAG, Cut Rifling - Medium Palma Barrel with Fluting, Surgeon Action and KrG Bravo Stock, Timney Trigger - it will be 13 lbs with the Steiner 5x25x56 on it.

I have considered 6.5/284, 6.5 PRC and CM as well as 280 REM and AI and settled on the 7 MM RM due to the great ballistics, cost of loaded ammo and brass and ability to shoot heavier bullets - I am too old for a 300 WM or 338 Lapua. I also have a Bergara 6.5 CM, Sako 6.5-06, Bar 338 WM and a couple Africa Model 70's (375 HH and 458 WM)

The barrel is the big question . Sendero profile, Palma Light or Medium and I am still not sure the 7 RM is the way to go in 2018. I would get a 24" barrel

Any help would be appreciated - I am 57, 5'9 and shrinking and 160 lbs and in relatively good shape.

If you have that 7mm itch maybe a 7mm-08 will fit the bill? It won't beat you up like the 7mm Mag, and you won't be burning 60+gr of powder with each shot. I'd suggest a light to medium palma barrel to keep the weight down if you're hunting with it. If you're suppressing 24" is about the maximum I'd do, with a preference at 20".

Reactions: CJS-6.5
This is why I did my 7mmSAW builds. Built match style rifles that I can also take back country hunting. They’ll do everything I want to for hunting and for competing and are light enough to lug around all day

May I recommend a 3B bartlein in 7saum, Surgeon Action and KrG Bravo Stock, Timney Trigger or Trigger tech diamond and to top it off find a nice 3-15, 4-18 or 3-20 scope.

.270. Just because it's a good hunting round doesn't make it a bad target round. Ammo is everywhere and only shooting out to 450 yards you don't need the extra bc that the 7mm bullets have.

If it’s gonna be used mostly for the range/practice, I’d stick with either a 6.5PRC, or some other short action round. If you’re gonna be using it to hunt often, and really stretch it out to further distances, the 7RM is a great cartridge for that.

If you’re going with a cut rifled, fluted SS barrel, you’d be approaching the same cost of a carbon wrapped Proof barrel.

I say go all in and build a switch barrel set up. Get an action that’ll take Savage small shank Prefit barrels, and then a Prefit Proof barrel in the caliber you’ll use for hunting, (6.5prc or maybe 7wsm, or 300wsm) and then a SS barrel for long range practice (308, 6cm, 6.5cm, 7mm-08, etc). Lots of great options out there and good luck with your build?

FYI no barrel nuts are required: All you need to make a 700 a switch barrel is two smith prepped barrels and and action wrench/barrel wise.

A lot of us have extra barrels for our match guns and I just did the same for a couple of my hunting guns.

Benchrest guys have been doing this for years on 700 actions.

Granted it’s not easy as running a AI AX.. but it is easier than the headspace barrel nut thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarface26
If you already have hunting rifles that you're afraid of burning out barrels on the range, why try to get a rifle that will pull double rolls. If you already have hunting rifles and no target rifles then it sounds like you should buy a rifle that's just a target rifle and use them for their individual purposes.

7mm RM wouldn't be my first choice for a target rifle either.

Reactions: steve123
I think the .280 Remington would be very adequate to your needs, or maybe the .280 Ack Imp, which can chamber and fire the original factory .280 Rem round, and fireform it in the process with no issues. That's something to consider when hunting far from home.

I consider it to be a highly adequate competition round for beyond 1000yd, and effective for Elk at reasonable distances (do you really want to pack out an Elk after a beyond-800yd shot?). I am 72, 6' 5", 165lb, and of a moderately F'd up physique to make magnum chamberings an exercise in slow suicide. The 280 can be handloaded with bullets starting at 120gr and is a pussycat until one gets up to the 175's, where it is still very manageable.

It's accurate. It fits in a .30-'06 magazine, and uses the same bolt face. Savages are very agreeable to barrel swaps, that includes the Axis II, which accepts the same barrels (I'm considering using my Axis II 30-06 as a donor action for this, and Darkeagle Custom makes 10rd D/M's for this action).

Greg

Last edited:
Long action:

280 with a Marksman contour barrel. Triggertech trigger, 700 action, stock of you choice.

Short action a 260. Same configuration.

What is your definition of long range?

I’d go with a 6.5 prc. I use one for hunting because it has some factory support if I need it in a pinch and it doesn’t beat you up on recoil.
I run a proof CF barrel on my rig but with my 5+ lb stock it’s still pushing 14+ lbs for hunting.
From a 24” 6.5 creed medium Palma steel barrel to a 26” CF proof 6.5 prc sendero lite I saved about 2 lbs on the barrel alone.
D3E76C62-0676-418D-9AB2-EA3BFD439A26.jpeg
2FC1D0E2-B5F1-4C2D-9CAB-776DD16755E7.jpeg

OP, you are GTG with what you have already for a 450Y hunting shot. You have a lot of redundancy going on already.

My suggestion is building a low recoiling and heavy rifle that is a joy to practice with and get's long barrel life. 223AI with heavies or 6mmBR are such fun rifles!

Today's example, I hit a small rock, estimated 4", at 1182Y with my 6mmBR on the 3rd shot.

Reactions: deersniper
If youre set on a cartridge (magnum) that has lots of factory ammo options, the 7mm RM is your ticket. If you dont mind reloading, the 6.5-284 Norma is a great option. I love mine, and dont really see myself ever needing anything bigger than that for long range target/hunting. And it wont beat you up like the bigger 7mm's.

Thanks for all the great feedback - I consider long range on targets 1000yds and would like to be able to hit that someday. I have never tried, my son and I will go with our gun club this summer. I originally started out with the "Beware of the man with one gun" mentality, but after much research I have come to the conclusion that a 450 yards clean kill with a margin for error on Elk and not getting beat up with recoil on long range target practice would simply create too much compromise in both uses. As I have gotten older my tolerance for all things including recoil has diminished. The same platform with two barrels is very intriguing. I noticed the Proof Switch solution would be about 4500 minimum with two barrels - I would need to liquidate a few of my rifles for that. (Maybe the beautiful 458 WM M70 Grade 4 ) - I never shoot.

Any suggestions on an action that’ll take Savage small shank Prefit barrels ? Also given the same weight why would someone get a Palma over a Sendero profile? The 280 AI seems like a nice solution if I had to pick one - nice to be able to buy ammo - does shooting a 280 in the AI take away much accuracy and ? It looks like it is easy to reload for and no belt (less things to have to measure)

The PRC and 6.5-284 are great but I am already getting 1 in groups at 2810 fps in my Sako 85 6.5-06 (22.25 in barrel) 51.4 RL 22 and Hornady ELD-X 143, I just have to give it a long time to cool down after 5 shots or the groups immediately open up, and the 7mm-08 is very efficient but those calibers are not optimal for the long shot on Elk (1500lbs energy st 450yds) I never like Hornady bullets until the ELDX - they are almost half the price of Nosler AB and shoot great

My first gun was a 7mm A Bolt and I gave it to my son - It has a 26 in slim sporter barrel - snake eyes on the first two shots, then 15 minutes to cool - the boss makes the recoil manageable but the muzzle blast at the indoor range is not exactly relaxation inducing. I just sold my 300 WSM Sako 85 / no brake , I probably did damage to my shoulder with the 500 rounds I shot practicing in the last two years. This explains the aversion to recoil.

Thanks for all the great input - part of the fun of a custom rifle is all the research to assist in making informed decisions and avoiding buyers remorse or losses in having to sell the gun.

Hunting, it's all about the first shot, and shot placement stumps energy. As long as you know where that cold bore shot will go, with the rifles you already have, you'll be ahead of the game.

I'd be more concerned about using a tough bullet that'l retain most of it's weight and drives through. A poor shooter that I know of hit a antelope in the top of the shoulder, the 200gr ELDX/300WM blew the shoulder up and exited above the back bone. He had to put it down with a few 9mm's once he arrived at the animal, I was there, I felt sorry for the critters suffering.

What you need to do is shoot more, and on a regular basis, so you can hit the vitals on demand, in reasonable winds.

Not a bad idea to have a switch barrel rifle with different sized bolt heads!

I'd rather have a 280R than a 7mmRM myself if reloading. Same bolt face as 6mmBR - hint.

Spend the money you would have spent on Proof CF wrapped barrel/s on one/two premium SS barrel/s and the rest on reloading components.

Also not a bad idea to have a 22 rimfire trainer either - practicing form.

Reactions: CJS-6.5
OP-I had this same dilemma and wound up going 6.5 SAUM. It’s got a Bartlein 3b at 22” and wears a TBAC Ultra 9. Rifle sits in an EH1 w/DBM. I’m kissing 3000 FPS w/143 Grain ELD-X. I’ve shot a Pronghorn at 355 and a Whitetail doe at 520 with excellent results. Wouldn’t and will not hesitate taking an elk with this set up. Recoil is non-existant.

Medium Palma is going to be heavier than Sendero. The Sendero contour can allow it to fit into smaller stocks, not really an issue if you are set on the KRG Bravo.

You talk a lot about weight concerns but don't mention a weight goal. Fluting isn't going to change either of these contours into a 'field' rifle, at most you will save 3/4 lb. A 12.25 lb rifle is still heavy. Besides, it looks like you have field rifles covered.

If you are regularly shooting at 1000 yards I agree with 280 or 300 PRC or 300 Norma. Especially looking at your current line-up. If recoil is a concern add weight or a muzzle brake. The advantage you get from these over the short-action cartridges is in error due to wind calls or distance judgement. Brian Litz covered this really well in a recent Q&A video.

OP-I had this same dilemma and wound up going 6.5 SAUM. It’s got a Bartlein 3b at 22” and wears a TBAC Ultra 9. Rifle sits in an EH1 w/DBM. I’m kissing 3000 FPS w/143 Grain ELD-X. I’ve shot a Pronghorn at 355 and a Whitetail doe at 520 with excellent results. Wouldn’t and will not hesitate taking an elk with this set up. Recoil is non-existant.

2nd person that has advocated a 3B contour(y) I have a 3b on 6.5 saum and I get 3100fps with eld's with a 24in barrel but my rifle prefers 130 berger hybrids which i'm slinging at 3200fps. With an ultra 7 recoil in minimal, very pleasant to shoot.

Reactions: HTX_17
The 6.5 SAUM appears to be quit a bit more efficient than the 26 Nosler - As to weight goals- yes it would take a 13lb rifle/scope to keep the 7RM with 160g bullets at 15lbs recoil without a brake - which I consider pleasant and not fatiguing.