• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Performance difference between 1.25" straight and bull barrel?

BeAccurate

Wasting space, ammo, and oxygen
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2013
FL
Hi everyone,

I suspect the throat on my current barrel is going and so I'm considering what to go with for my next barrel contour. This is for a Bighorn Origin and I've narrowed it down to either a 1.25" straight barrel or a bull contour.

This is mostly a bench/F class gun. I'm wondering, though, if there is a significant performance (in terms of recoil control) difference between the two barrels.

I'm leaning towards the bull barrel because it's cheaper (I can just buy a prefit) whereas for a 1.25" straight tube I'll need to have a gunsmith make a shouldered barrel for it.

Thanks in advance.

How long of barrel? What caliber? What specific contour for the "bull"? Like a actual bartlien bull contour?
Most of the guys I know shooting F-class(including me) want as much weight as possible. My next barrel will be a heavy varmint at 28". I think that a little taper keeps rigidity over a full straight contour when you get above 20-22".

I'm running this in an Eliseo chassis so there's a good chance I can't even have a straight contour that length. I need to double check. But assuming I can, it'd be 28".

But I was thinking a Savage bull contour at that length, too.

Could you offer some more insight on the rigidity issue? I would think the straight barrel would be more rigid?