• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Performance update on Hornady 285's

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Oriental, North Carolina
Just a quick update on the 285's. A customer just won the International Benchrest Association, 1000 yd. Heavy Gun group, National Championship. It was a four 10 shot target aggregate shot over three days in some not so good conditons. He and one other shooter were the only ones to agg under 10". This was the first time a 338 has won for group at the National Championships. I built him a tight neck 338 Norma Mag.

Re: Performance update on Hornady 285's

Ohhh, sure Dave, tease us with results of the few lucky bastards that already have these bullets while the rest of us have to patiently, I usually don't do well in this department, wait for them to be released to the public. This could be classified as cruel and unusual punishment you know....
smile.gif

These results pretty much backup what you have been saying about these 285's. That they shoot, very, well!

You know this makes the waiting that much more difficult. lol

You know Dave, the LEAST you could do is tease us with a photo of this 285 bullet....
smile.gif

But as Paul Harvey would say, "now for the rest of the story"..

2nd and 3rd place shot 6 Dashers with a 9.6 and 10.7 respectively.
grin.gif

Hell, I shot a 12.3 agg and took 12th in HG group with my Dasher, with a 9, two 10's and a 18. One 10 and the 18 came on day two with the gusts to 45 MPH. (won the relay with the 10 also)

The overall winner shot a 6 Dasher.

Dave, missed your smiling face.
grin.gif

Hated to miss this one. That's the first Nationals I've missed since we started. I'm sure no one missed me, just the cooler on the front of the truck.

I was going by the equipment list showing Jim shot a 300 Ack and Glenn a 6 Dasher. My hats off to them for keeping it close in those conditions.

Oops, I thought Jim shot a Dasher in both classes.

Damn, just about made it through the day w/o a missteak.
grin.gif

Al

You know Dave, If you wanna just go ahead and send me a couple of these 285's that would more than suffice for a photo of them. You can even send it postage due. lol

Thanks Dave!!!

Kinda what I would envision if the 300SMK and 300 Scenar had a love child...
smile.gif
But I like it and I really like what I read about their results.

Now when and where can I get some??? lol

Can we expect the meplates to look like that on all the bullets when they come out?

From bullets I have here, knowing the engineer, knowing the press operator, knowing the press they're made on, I would think it's pretty safe to say that's what they'll all look like. The engineer shoots 1K competition so he is well aware of what is required of a long range bullet. This didn't happen in the last 6 months. Some cranky, outspoken target shooters, a sympathetic ear and a multi year commitment from management is how we got to this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a quick update on the 285's. A customer just won the International Benchrest Association, 1000 yd. Heavy Gun group, National Championship. It was a four 10 shot target aggregate shot over three days in some not so good conditons. He and one other shooter were the only ones to agg under 10". This was the first time a 338 has won for group at the National Championships. I built him a tight neck 338 Norma Mag.</div></div>

Great job!
Accurate Shooter Daily Bulletin story

Dave

In the first article Mr. Emary says this is the first of two new super low drag bullets Hornady will be releasing. Do you know anything about this other "super-low drag" bullet Hornady is coming out with???? Caliber, weight, etc.etc.????? Hmmmm, maybe a 220ish 30cal. would be nice.

I already know what your probably thinking, geesh guys, atleast let them come out with the 285 before you start holding my feet to the fire and quizing me about this other SLD bullet. lol

Sorry, but inquiring minds, really, want to know!!!!
smile.gif

It's a 225gr 30cal bullet, no plastic tip, regular OTM design with a secondary pointing operation. There's been some discussion about it in this forum but I can't for the life of me remember the thread title.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a 225gr 30cal bullet, no plastic tip, regular OTM design with a secondary pointing operation. There's been some discussion about it in this forum but I can't for the life of me remember the thread title. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=788268&page=2

Dave discusses it about two thirds down, second page.

John

That sounds awesome! Wait, I mean that sounds awesome as long as it will stabilize in a 1-10tw that is...
smile.gif
If it will shoot in a 1-10 it should be well suited for a 30-338 Lapua Improved project I'm working on.

Dave, do you know what kind of velocity ceiling this new 285bthp is going to have? Do you know if it will hold together in the different improved 408based .338's with full power loads? Things like Bruce's Big Baer and Kirby Allen's 338Allen Mag.

The 30 will work just fine in a 10 twist.

Will the 285 stay together in the really large cases? With what I know about it I think so. Only time and round count will tell for sure. BTW it's not really a VDL design. I can't say too much but it's closer to a tangant ogive. The big gain in performance comes from a secondary point closing up the meplat. Should be easy to tune up and more forgiving over the life of the barrel. At least that was the plan anyway.

Is the new 225 .30 going to basicly be the same design as the 285? Do they look the same just one is obviously smaller?

Now for the million dollar question. Since it sounds like they will be a relatively robust jacket does that mean they will act similar to the Scenar on game and just pencil?

I'll look forward to reading the report then. Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a 225gr 30cal bullet, no plastic tip, regular OTM design with a secondary pointing operation. There's been some discussion about it in this forum but I can't for the life of me remember the thread title. </div></div>

I was hoping the 225 would be like a longer 208gr A-max. I'm still excited for this bullet to hit the market even if the BC just matches the 240gr SMK instead of exceeding it.

Very interested in the report, and the 285's.
These bullets could be a plus for cartridges like the 338 EDGE, Lapua, and Norma.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave inVa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">This was posted over on 6br </span>a few days ago.
Dave</span>
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/10/hornadys-new-285gr-338-bullet-wins-hg-at-ibs-nationals/ </div></div>
Thanks for the info, looking forward to shooting some of the ammo. Maybe we could get a group buy going?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long Time Long Ran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we have a BC on the 285? I didn't see it posted in there. </div></div>

According to the article linked two posts up from yours, .735 G1 BC.

Love to get my hands on some of those 285s. Want to see how it performs out to 2000 yards.

On the BC I've heard as high as .760 and as low as .715. The truth lies somewhere between. I haven't had time to measure the BC yet myself. That's one of those 'round to it things.
Shooting to 2K, no problem. Been there seen that.

I'll try and see if we're getting closer to the release date.

I guess that would put the new .30 bullet well past that?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update

Wish I had better news.

Release date Jan. 1

</div></div>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update

Wish I had better news.

Release date Jan. 1

</div></div>

They are going to be selling like hot cakes. Will the usual vendors be carrying them? or there are secret vendors that sell them ? J?K

I wish I'd bought the whole first run but I'm looking for a C-6 Vette. The usual sources should have them. Nothing official but the 30's should be out the same time. Might be good to contact your suppliers and make sure they get them ordered.

Thought the price was supposed to be 50 dollars for 100 not 40 per 50 thats way more expensive than SMKs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought the price was supposed to be 50 dollars for 100 not 40 per 50 thats way more expensive than SMKs </div></div>
Then you might ass well go with the bore Tech bullets at $60 for 50???

Curious has anyone tired the Hornadys with US-869 powder?

245grn .869 BC
120831.jpg

Don't know what's going on but Hornady's website says retail is $50.39 per 100. That number makes more sense than $40 for 50. That looks like a misprint so they may sell for $40 per 100.

got some and thought there was 100 per box but only 50
From left to right hornady 285-Lapua 300-sierra 300
3381.jpg

3382.jpg

3383.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought the price was supposed to be 50 dollars for 100 not 40 per 50 thats way more expensive than SMKs </div></div>
Then you might ass well go with the bore Tech bullets at $60 for 50???

Curious has anyone tired the Hornadys with US-869 powder?

245grn .869 BC
120831.jpg

</div></div>

Yeah I got mine from Grafs and they are only 50 bullets per box. That makes em way more $$$ then what they were suppose to be.... Did anybody get a 100ct box? The Hornady website says that they are only available in 100ct boxes. WTH??

GO-FASTER, Where did you get yours from?

When I ordered them it said 100ct box for 39.99....I'm gonna call em tomorrow and find out what the deal is. I clicked on the link I posted above and now it says 50ct boxes....?!