• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Personal Locator Beacon

kuparj

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2008
Illinois
My daughter will be doing some field research for the BLM this summer in Oregon. A lot of this will be back country, and in some cases, she will be out at night. Anyone here have experience with PLB's? I have looked at ACR ResQlink+ Personal Locator Beacon , Garmin and Spot 3. ACR is good but does not have GPS tracking; Garmin is also good in that it has GPS tracking, but its beacon , when activated goes to its own communications hub/system first before notifying first responders. It is also a subscription paid service. I really don't know much about Spot 3.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John

Reactions: user
Check these out small enough she won't hate bringing it, allows comms and an oh fuck button

I'd get the ACR. It's simple, just works and doesn't require a subscription. If I remember right, the signal is stronger than the 'communication type' PLBs.

I stayed away from the Garmin specifically because of this item:

You can send messages to contacts, view your location and navigate via GPS, or hit the emergency button for a magical evacuation coordinated by Garmin’s for-profit rescue center.

If that doesn't scream, 'we re sending you a giant ass bill afterwards for using our PLB that you have the privilege of paying a subscription fee for' I don't know what does.

Last edited:
Reactions: rydah and TACC
I take my inreach any day over my spot.. For size, connectivity and ease of use. If you have a panel or an extra usb battery a cell phone in Airplane mode lasts a real long time and can be used to text with the tiny inreach..

BTW you can purchase insurance..

Reactions: hughmac4
Owned Spot since the original version. The newer (I think since v2) allow tracking to be uploaded as well as 'check in's.' The tracking does not work so well at speed (e.g., dirt bike) but does well for hiking. It has modes that she can program custom messages ahead of time. We keep one that let's our contact know that we need assistance but nobody is in danger. Good to know that you can test it using these methods as well. Takes lithium batteries so just pack a few extra, but they last.

Never used an inreach, but I do have a garmin GPS - quality stuff.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I’ve used the InReach and spot but not the ACR as I want communications. InReach uses iridium sats while spot uses global star. Up in the interior of Alaska where I am anything global star sucks. Down at your latitude it would probably be fine. I would encourage her to get a device with a communications function as many issues don’t require an emergency evacuation. Just good communications can relieve a lot of heartburn if there’s a delay ect,

The German does bring up an interesting point. I’ve had an InReach a long time, but never saw the for profit” bull shit. Going to have to investigate that.

Ive used an inreach SE for years, it allows you to text your loved ones and when you do they can click on a link and see where you are on a map. You can turn on tracking and they can also follow you as you trek the wilderness. Iv never had connection issues and this is deep into the Colorado mountains where there is absolutely no cel signals. The app on your phone connects to it via bluetooth and you text via your phone. Just remind love ones not to send one letter texts or emojis, as those lol's can cost a few dollars after you run over your text allowance.

Reactions: schmi015
I have the ACR SARLink. It has a GPS receiver built into it. When activated, it sends your coordinates to a Satellite via 406-MHz, which is what both civil aviation and maritime use for emergency beacon. The SARLink also transmits on 121.5-MHz, which is the civil aviation guard frequency, and it has an IR becon as well.

The way the ACR SARLink system works, the 406-MHz Sat signal is monitored by the USAF. When they receive an emergency beacon activation, they determine what the best SAR resource is based on location of the becon signal. They would likely contact CAP or other resources with Direction Finding (DF) equipment do a concentrated search from the 121.5-MHz beacon signal. If at night, they can spot the IR beacon.

The battery is a sealed unit, and certified for 3-years. So unlike other systems where you rely on battery in the main unit, or any ancillary equipment for other purposes like sending Happy Text, or I'm Ok messages, and your using it for other purposes, other than emergency needs, and then when an emergency arises, and you have a dead or weak battery, your hosed.

Last edited:
Don’t forget that the ACR battery has to be replaced every 5 years. For extreme backcountry ACR is the only thing I’d trust.

Reactions: Alpine 338
I have and love my inreach. For me, the ability to reliably 2 way message for the 99% everything is going ok, and the emergency beacon and monitored response for those times when things go bad is a balance the other devices just don't have. Granted everyone's use case is different, but the majority of my use is casual check in or change of plans type communication and that is where it shines. That said, I have confidence that should I need it in an emergency it will be there.

I remember this one time... In the Stan... This one guy lost his PLB on a mission......I still have nightmares from the clown games that we endured trying to find it. Only to discover 3 days later it was under his seat in his truck... Thanks for triggering me

On that note... Thats why we tie shit down so whichever one she gets, make sure she has it tied to her preferably.

Reactions: diverdon
Hi,

Recently (Within this past year) there have been several incidents where the Garmin products activated their SAR Teams via SOS signal even when the user had the lock switch engaged....Guess who pays that bill???

Sincerely,
Theis

I've used the SPOT for SAR missions in central and Western Oregon.
All three work well.
1st world problem.
Any idea as to where in Oregon she'll be?

Owned Spot since the original version. The newer (I think since v2) allow tracking to be uploaded as well as 'check in's.' The tracking does not work so well at speed (e.g., dirt bike) but does well for hiking. It has modes that she can program custom messages ahead of time. We keep one that let's our contact know that we need assistance but nobody is in danger. Good to know that you can test it using these methods as well. Takes lithium batteries so just pack a few extra, but they last.

Never used an inreach, but I do have a garmin GPS - quality stuff.
I’ve also used a SPOT for remote motorcycle trips, including far above arctic circle and in Alps, etc. I was very grateful to have it with me on Iceland last fall as I ended up in a remote area that got snowed in. Didn’t need to hit rescue button, but I was glad to have it.

uses AA batteries. Reliable as heck and projects to map via online. Also includes (or can be bought cheap) 10k in rescue insurance. Enough for a helicopter evacuation or serious medical response.

So +1 on SPOT.

Cheers, Sirhr

I personally have the acr but am not looking for the non-emergency communication features. It is easy to pack and overall pretty rugged. Haven’t had to use it but from what I can tell has one of the more powerful transponders to reach further if ever needed. At the time I was looking the other units had drawbacks on range if no direct line of sight.

Gentlemen:

All the information and suggestions you provided are valuable and appreciated. Looks like the type of PLB one would select is based on the number of features that are important to you. GPS tracking, Texting, Maps, Battery life (or ease of replacement), Immediate Satellite comms & response, etc..

Based on all of your collective suggestions, I am going to get her the ACR. If she wants GPS tracking she can always purchase the SPOT and pay for the subscription service. My brother has an aviation unit where he is posted. A fellow CWO just happened to find a new strobe lying on the ground. Her uncle is sending that to her.

My daughter is based out of Roseburg, OR. She'll be there for about 4 years.

Again, thank you for all of your suggestions and shared experience.

John

InReach is very handy to let the loved ones know your good.
A feature a strict locator rarely has.

R

Last edited:
The ability to send a text message is the best feature of most of these units. Tracking is great when you want someone on overwatch.
Roseburg won't be too bad...

Last edited:
Used to carry an EPIRB when backpacking across Alaska. It will definitely call the cavalry in in. Pretty much for bear maulings or broken necks only though.

Ha- one day a group of us were 100ish miles from anything in the Southern Talkeetnas as the sky started filling with military aircraft. We panicked and checked the EPIRB thinking someone hit it by mistake. Must have been some type of exercise although it ended up looking like WWIII.

I use the In Reach beacon and have had zero problems with dead battery, connectivity, etc in the mountains of Montana. The two way communication feature is valuable for important but not emergency communication. My understanding is that it uses a superior satellite system to the Spot. Have not used the SOS feature but assume it will work as other communications do.

Been using a Garmin inreach for the past couple of years. Even worked when i went to Patagonia. You can find them at Costco the cheapest for $250 or under $200 sometimes on sale. They have redesigned the sos button so it can't be activated accidentally, its no longer a slider, it now has a cover then has to be removed then pushed and it will ask you to confirm. The subscription plan is nice and can be activated for a month then shut off then reactivated when you want. you can text message and along with that msg it will send a link to pull up a map with coordinates from when/where that msg was sent.

I read a few months back that some snowmobiler broke his leg and turned on his spot and it was blinking but never actually sent a signal. A friend of his ended up rescuing him and spot wouldn't tell him why the device failed to send the signal. With the garmin you get the ability to txt to a phone number, email etc. So if i was injured, if capable, i could text a parent and then also hit the sos, better to have two people know you're hurt than none at all.

The problem with the in reach mini is that it pairs to your cell so if your cell dies you can no longer msg with it, if you have the in reach se you can hook up the bluetooth and use your phone to type, but if you phone dies you can still use the device to slowly type out a msg.

Read the reviews for the spot... https://www.rei.com/product/860469/spot-gen3-satellite-gps-messenger

Reactions: Rthur
You can still message with the mini its just harder. other then the 3 presets

Been using a Garmin inreach for the past couple of years. Even worked when i went to Patagonia. You can find them at Costco the cheapest for $250 or under $200 sometimes on sale. They have redesigned the sos button so it can't be activated accidentally, its no longer a slider, it now has a cover then has to be removed then pushed and it will ask you to confirm. The subscription plan is nice and can be activated for a month then shut off then reactivated when you want. you can text message and along with that msg it will send a link to pull up a map with coordinates from when/where that msg was sent.

I read a few months back that some snowmobiler broke his leg and turned on his spot and it was blinking but never actually sent a signal. A friend of his ended up rescuing him and spot wouldn't tell him why the device failed to send the signal. With the garmin you get the ability to txt to a phone number, email etc. So if i was injured, if capable, i could text a parent and then also hit the sos, better to have two people know you're hurt than none at all.

The problem with the in reach mini is that it pairs to your cell so if your cell dies you can no longer msg with it, if you have the in reach se you can hook up the bluetooth and use your phone to type, but if you phone dies you can still use the device to slowly type out a msg.

Read the reviews for the spot... https://www.rei.com/product/860469/spot-gen3-satellite-gps-messenger
Know of any sales on the mini?

R

I use a combination of location devices with overlapping capabilities based on different satellite constellations, in a variety of pelican case configurations. The ACR SAR Link (which provides GPS Long/Lat information that can also be conveyed via sat phone; the ACR needs to be registered with NOAA/SARSAT for free. Also, an Iridium Extreme Sat Phone (waterproof, with GPS map location sent with text messages, SOS emergency button to contact pre-selected contacts, 911 contact to Phoenix, AZ center). Protect them within a small pelican case. You can RENT sat phone services from Iridium on weekly / monthly basis. You can't spend enough to protect your children and provide you with peace of mind, less expensive than our shooting hobby !
IMG_1411e copy.jpg
IMG_1408 copy.JPG
IMG_1402e copy.jpg
IMG_1399 copy.JPG

That is a very, very impressive kit. You can cover any comm issue with that gear. My daughter is a young wildlife biologist. Has to balance available funds with performance on the PLB's. The wife and I will get her the ACR ResQlink+ (I understand it does have GPS tracking capability now). Iridium would be great, but ....

Thanks!

john

I run the Irriduim extreme sat phone, portable solar charger and the ACR PLB. All over the globe, well prepared. Good kit. Buy with confidence.