• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Personal Progress

3one5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2002
CO Front Range
Would it be inappropriate to start a personal progress thread here? I would like to keep track of my progress and get feedback as I go.

I would think lots of folks might benefit from such a thread by following your progress.

You dress funny and your presentation is horrible.

Carry on!

Look on your profile, there is a blog feature there. That way you can keep track of your personal progress, and not suffer the embarrassment of it being public, and subject to ridicule, jokes, and satire. While at the same time making it available to those who really want to see it. As far as being "appropriate", this is the bolt action rifle forum, not a personal progress forum.

As I mentioned in another thread I've owned a few factory 'precision' rifles. I have always sucked really bad with them and quickly gave up and moved on to something else. I bought my current rifle a year or so back but shot it with some surplus Turkish ammo. About 1 in 10 failed to fire and the accuracy was horrible. Well, about as horrible as I have always been with a scoped bolt action rifle.

A couple weeks back a buddy gave me a few rounds of higher grade ammo and I shot off my right should for the first time. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I've shot rifles off my left shoulder since I was a kid. This was a pretty big change and for the first time I had groups that were must less than the typical 6-8 inches. This greatly excited me and gave me hope. I feel like I have a decent place to work from.

I thought it might be a good idea to document my progress as I moved ahead. I figured this would be a great place to do that as I've always appreciated the straight forward and honest feedback that can be found on this site.

I'll start with my equipment.

Remington 700 AAC-SD 20" Barrel 1-10 Twist .308 Win
Surefire SFMB-762-5/8-24 Brake
Badger Ordnance 20 MOA Base
Badger Ordnance 30MM Rings
Badger Ordnance Reducers
Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X MIL/MIL Scope

Here are the targets that got me going a week or so back. I started with a completely scrubbed barrel. Originally I thought the shot to the top left was the result of a cold bore shot. After shooting today I'm not positive that is the case.

FsZOuO0.png

f5rcVem.png

I went back out today and shot 5 5-shot groups. As you can see I have a LOT of work to do. I averaged 2" groups.

SXADfmR.jpg

hf56dWG.jpg

CCugs55.jpg

Fm1B74b.jpg

4XWjXjL.jpg

There are a few things I know I need to change. Right now I'm balancing the for-end of the rifle on a pack and pouch I filled with a towel. I picked up a rear bag yesterday that I started using today. This isn't a real stable platform and I find that I'm constantly muscling my rifle on to the target. The rest of my bipod will be here early next week so I'm hoping it will make a big difference.

I also find that my trigger is heavier than I would like. I find that my crosshairs shift when I'm pulling on the trigger. This is one of the recalled triggers so I plan on changing it out for a Timney trigger. I may try my hand at adjusting this one until I have the money.

Anyone who has put their hands on a AAC-SD rifle knows the stock is a huge piece of junk. It flexes like crazy and makes contact with the barrel in multiple places. I would really like to pick something else up down the road. My heart is set on a 1.5 AICS chassis but with 6 young shooters around the house a PSS take off or something similar is more likely to happen.

I want to make sure that I'm not blaming my poor shooting on equipment but I can't help but think these things are making a difference. I plan to go back out and shoot again once I have my bipod.

Look on your profile, there is a blog feature there. That way you can keep track of your personal progress, and not suffer the embarrassment of it being public, and subject to ridicule, jokes, and satire. While at the same time making it available to those who really want to see it. As far as being "appropriate", this is the bolt action rifle forum, not a personal progress forum.

I'm not terribly concerned about being made fun of. I suck and I'm more than aware of that. :) I was more concerned about it being appropriate for this forum.

Mods, please let me know if I should take this down or move it elsewhere.

Sir my post was facetious and me being a jackoff. It will be typical of what you get in addition to the good advice.

Seriously consider investing in training and a good data book. Use the bok to call your shots and record your targets. Record weather, ammo, rifle condition other pertinent info and use it to develope consistency.

Sir my post was facetious and me being a jackoff. It will be typical of what you get in addition to the good advice.

Seriously consider investing in training and a good data book. Use the bok to call your shots and record your targets. Record weather, ammo, rifle condition other pertinent info and use it to develope consistency.

I will do that. I actually have a databook but need to watch the video again that shows how to properly use it. A member here offered up some in person pointers which I hope to take him up on. In the mean time I've been watching the Magpul precision rifle videos. Seems like a lot of advertisement for various products but I've been able to take away some good information.

Well, it seems to me you're on the right track. You have a good attitude about learning and are willing to ask for help. Some good reading material, trigger time, diligent notes and if possible some good coaching will move you way down the learning curve. Good luck to you, sir! Go back NOW before you get hooked and cost yourself a LOT of money! lol

There are a few things I know I need to change. Right now I'm balancing the for-end of the rifle on a pack and pouch I filled with a towel. I picked up a rear bag yesterday that I started using today. This isn't a real stable platform and I find that I'm constantly muscling my rifle on to the target. The rest of my bipod will be here early next week so I'm hoping it will make a big difference.

I also find that my trigger is heavier than I would like. I find that my crosshairs shift when I'm pulling on the trigger. This is one of the recalled triggers so I plan on changing it out for a Timney trigger. I may try my hand at adjusting this one until I have the money.

Anyone who has put their hands on a AAC-SD rifle knows the stock is a huge piece of junk. It flexes like crazy and makes contact with the barrel in multiple places. I would really like to pick something else up down the road. My heart is set on a 1.5 AICS chassis but with 6 young shooters around the house a PSS take off or something similar is more likely to happen.

I want to make sure that I'm not blaming my poor shooting on equipment but I can't help but think these things are making a difference. I plan to go back out and shoot again once I have my bipod.

OK, here is my two cents worth of advice. Way too many shooters see buying/upgrading equipment as the way to improving. I disagree with that plan. Equipment can and does help but it is a crutch. I mean if you only work on improving by buying new and better crutches you will never improve the most important thing in the precision marksmanship equation that really matters; your own skills. I pass this on to you because I fell victim to this line of thought myself. I spent tons of money buying all different kinds of upgrades and equipment. Yes I improved my shooting system, but I never improved the most important part of that system; my shooting skills. I could continue to pour money into my system but I would always have the same problem; my flawed shooting skills. So I want you to wrap your mind around one very important thought. Improve your skills first and then work on improving your shooting equipment. It may not seem at first glance to be as fun but it will save you so much money and frustration in the long run I can't even begin to explain. Here is a question that pretty much gets to the heart of the matter. Do you want to shoot with precision and skill? That means having the knowledge and skill to be able to pick up any old POS firearm and be able to shoot it with skill. Or do you only want to be able to shoot well with your custom made/built firearm? I finally came around to the only sane way of looking at this question. Improve my skill level first and then think about better this, that or the other equipment change. I approached it this way if I thought "If only I had a better trigger I would be so much better" then I worked on improving my trigger control with the crappy trigger I had, so that if I did eventually replace my trigger I had first improved my skill at trigger control. Most shooters myself included are hunting for the magic fix. We look at equipment changes as being that fix. Please, please believe me, equipment changes are not that fix! Practice, practice, practice to improve a skill or overall skills is the only way to get better. I want to shoot with precision no matter what equipment I may have in hand. I hope you have the same goal. Finally, after I got off the "taste the rainbow" "better equipment will fix my problems" kick I can now pick up any rifle and shoot it with some degree of precision. Sorry for the rant, but I am trying to save you from yourself. Looking at the results you have posted, you can do better. You know you can or you would not have started this post. So stop! Take a deep breath. Now go practice with your existing equipment. When you can post sub moa results with the equipment you have then and only then are you allowed to get a what was it again oh yeah a bipod. Discipline yourself that way and you will get much better much faster. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
I went through this learning curve over the last couple years. A couple things stand out to me from your description.

One is natural point of aim. You want to first set up your rifle pointing to the target without you touching it. Then get behind the rifle so that your body is interfacing with the rifle in it's natural position. You should be able to close your eyes, go through a few breathing cycles, and open your eyes, and the rifle will still be on target. If you're relaxed and lined up properly, it should not require any muscle to position the rifle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rkt1HRWdo

The other thing was trigger press influencing the sight picture. You need to develop a hold on the rifle so that you are pulling the rifle into your shoulder with the trigger hand, and at the same time have the first pad of your trigger finger square across the face of the trigger. When you press the trigger, the force needs to be straight back.

I learned these concepts with the first Rifles Only DVD - "Fundamentals of Marksmanship". He goes through a step by step approach on how to build your prone position. It really helped me develop my position, along with lots of dry fire practice.
https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop...ly-precision-rifle-volume-1-fundamentals.html

Last edited:
Maybe its just the recoil. Have you tried a smaller caliber?

Lesson the recoil, then see how your groups work out. If you can try a 223 or even a 17HMR I think it would be a good idea. Find out if your body is overiding your mind...ie: flinching, jerking trigger, etc.

Just a thought.

If you really want to track your progress, I'd suggest changing your stock first. When dealing with a hogue stock, you will not be able to see if it was you or the rifle. That being said, some of the previous groups appear to be from trigger control and not necessarily the stock.

I agree with coldbore miracle, this forum isn't specific for tracking your results for accolades. Get some range time, upgrade the base equipment and see if your results improve. Keeping a long running thread may not be the best way. Perhaps you could revisit this post once you have made some minor upgrades and increased your level of marksmanship.

Good luck and continue to keep shooting.

If you are serious about a PSS stock send me a PM. I'm not urgently wanting to change up my stock on my 700p, but I would consider it to help someone just starting out.

Last edited:
If you really want to track your progress, I'd suggest changing your stock first. When dealing with a hogue stock, you will not be able to see if it was you or the rifle. That being said, some of the previous groups appear to be from trigger control and not necessarily the stock.

I agree with coldbore miracle, this forum isn't specific for tracking your results for accolades. Get some range time, upgrade the base equipment and see if your results improve. Keeping a long running thread may not be the best way. Perhaps you could revisit this post once you have made some minor upgrades and increased your level of marksmanship.

Good luck and continue to keep shooting.

If you are serious about a PSS stock send me a PM. I'm not urgently wanting to change up my stock on my 700p, but I would consider it to help someone just starting out.

I will certainly keep at it. My biggest fear is that some of this is the stock / trigger and I won't see any improvement until they are changed. Particularly the stock as I see it as the single weakest piece. I'm going to give it a a couple hundred rounds though and see how it goes. I've been doing a TON of dry firing and think I have the trigger down.

I got out and did some more shooting yesterday. In the week prior to that I made some changes to my rifle.
1. Atlas Bipod - I know it's a lot of money to spend on a bipod where there are some other items that really need to be swapped. I felt like I needed a bipod to improve stability of the rifle while shooting and the Atlas is what I wanted. I didn't see the point to buying something and swapping it out later on. It was the last of my fun money so why not?!

2. Timney Trigger - It was a safety issue, I had to! :)

3. Floated the barrel - I floated the barrel in the factory stock by removing a bit of material from the barrel channel. The problem is that this stick is extremely flexible and if I torque on the butt of the rifle I can still get the stock to touch the barrel without much force.

After making these changes I did a TON of dry firing every night. Practicing breathing, natural point of aim, trigger control and hold. I believe this helped me out a lot.

On this trip to the range I used a 178gr A-max load from Freedom Munitions. I needed an inexpensive round with a good bullet that I could get the fundementals down with. The stuff I had used in the past turned out to be some kind of 'match' ammo found in 100 round packages at Wal-Mart. My buddy continued to shoot it yesterday and after finding a round that would not chamber we got to talking about it. He is also building up an SPS rifle and has been getting the same results. We switched him over to the freedom munitions stuff and he started seeing similar results to what I was getting with the same round. The biggest difference between our rifles is he has a HS Precision stock and doesn't have the Surefire muzzle brake. I had a look at the round that wouldn't chamber and found rifling marks on the barrel. We compared it with a round that would chamber and found the bullet wasn't seated as deep making the OAL larger.

For this outing I averaged 1.372" which is a pretty big improvement over a week ago. After my experience with the ammo yesterday I think it's time that I picked up a box of FGMM to try out.

BBHiyLV.jpg

Ignore the far left shot. My buddy thought it would be funny to put an extra shot in there for me.
pLLNfb6.jpg

0kYYwXm.jpg

zRTHJqA.jpg

5HEHVXl.jpg

I'm getting better, I'm excited. I figured there wasn't much point to shooting past 100 yards until I was averaging a inch or better. I'm slowly getting there. I plan to continue with the dry fire practice, live fire and pick up a stock when money permits.

I'd like to thank everyone again for their advice!

The stars and moon aligned today and I picked up a PSS take off stock for $150. Super stoked. I'm going to work on getting out tomorrow.

Well, on average I actually did worse today than I did the other day.

This time around I averaged 1.404".

IiJNmVn.jpg

oCJGCZS.jpg

Pxzb2Yz.jpg

g7ORwqo.jpg

be4rcZ9.jpg

I'm having a hard time finding any accuracy information on this Freedom Munitions 178gr A-Max Reman ammo. I shoot with a board member who is shooting an almost identical rifle with the exception of my brake and he was seeing similar results to what I am see here. Today he brought out some hand loads that he's putting together and they seem to be pretty impressive. I can't help but think I have reached the limits of what this ammo can do. I think the next step is going to be a box of match ammunition.

I was honestly expecting to see some gains with the HS precision stock. I guess the floating job I did factory stock did its job. Though this stock is far more comfortable and I don't have to work about it flexing. After shooting some match ammo I may try to bed the recoil lug and first inch of the barrel.

I want to believe that I'm better than what I am seeing here. I have gotten to the point where my cross hairs don't wander on the target. When the trigger breaks my cross hairs are where I want them on the target (I did pull on shot). I dry fire hundreds of times a week. Each time practicing hold, breathing etc . We shall see.

Well, on average I actually did worse today than I did the other day.

This time around I averaged 1.404".

IiJNmVn.jpg

oCJGCZS.jpg

Pxzb2Yz.jpg

g7ORwqo.jpg

be4rcZ9.jpg

I'm having a hard time finding any accuracy information on this Freedom Munitions 178gr A-Max Reman ammo. I shoot with a board member who is shooting an almost identical rifle with the exception of my brake and he was seeing similar results to what I am see here. Today he brought out some hand loads that he's putting together and they seem to be pretty impressive. I can't help but think I have reached the limits of what this ammo can do. I think the next step is going to be a box of match ammunition.

I was honestly expecting to see some gains with the HS precision stock. I guess the floating job I did factory stock did its job. Though this stock is far more comfortable and I don't have to work about it flexing. After shooting some match ammo I may try to bed the recoil lug and first inch of the barrel.

I want to believe that I'm better than what I am seeing here. I have gotten to the point where my cross hairs don't wander on the target. When the trigger breaks my cross hairs are where I want them on the target (I did pull on shot). I dry fire hundreds of times a week. Each time practicing hold, breathing etc . We shall see.

I have the same rifle , in a bell and Carlson stock. It won't shoot any better than 3/4 moa with hand loads. Some are just built so poorly that there's really nothing you can do.

I'd take 3/4"! :). So where do you go from there? Rebarrel and true the action?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't had any luck finding gold medal match locally but I did find some 175gr match from Black Hills Ammunition. From what I've read it's just as good. We shall see how it goes. I probably won't get out until this coming Saturday.

Last edited:
I made it out with the Black Hill Ammunition today and finally shot a group under 1" at 100 yards. I probably should have waited because this was after work and I had my two sons along. I was rushed and hungry, but enough with the excuses. :)

Average 1.407"

ipYIBl6.jpg

34A5udT.jpg

p0qsG5T.jpg

l6ugylW.jpg

xc4AHYJ.jpg

What I find odd is that my rifle seems to get more accurate after the barrel has heated up a bit? Does that make sense or am I making more excuses? You can see that a bit in the pictures that I've posted in the past. To me the first 5 shots seem to be the same as all the others as far as keeping things steady, hold, breathing, etc. Is it possible that my rifle gets more accurate as it heats up? Is bedding the next best step? Thinking about picking up some Devcon steel putty.

Last edited:
If you do this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this, you will fire a good shot. Training yourself IMO is doing the right things enough times that you do almost all of them naturally, allowing you to concentrate on the sights and the trigger. Your body position on the rifle becomes second nature. You just do it. Don't despair, I am a slow learner, but it took me two years and about 6,000 rounds and a lot of dry firing before I could confidently say "my body truly knows what to do when I lay down on the rifle". If something isn't right, I feel it and fix it. You will find that even things like your height above the ground will matter. It takes time. Be persistent, enthusiastic but patient.

For me, rule #1 is being comfortable on the rifle. I read in one of your earlier posts something about you muscling the rifle. You absolutely positively cannot do this. If you are seeking repeatable and high level accuracy, do not adapt yourself to the rifle, you adapt the rifle to you. You can do this and spend a lot, or a little. You do not have to spend a lot, but IMO you have to do it somehow. If you are a new rifle shooter you truly don't even know yet what is right for you.

In order to achieve a natural point of aim, you must be comfortable on the rifle. It must fit you; any aspect where the rifle does not fit you will result in your trying to muscle the rifle to make it fit, and it is impossible to muscle a rifle consistently.

1. Length of pull. Add or remove length from the butt to achieve optimum LOP. As you experiment with this, it doesn't have to be pretty. Aftermarket stocks can be had with adjustable cheekpieces, butt spaces, etc, or you can buy add-on butt plate spaces, adjustable butt plates (Tubb), etc. Timney makes a trigger which can be adjusted for finger position.

2. Eye relief and cheek position. If you are teaching yourself, as you gain experience with shooting your body position will evolve. Make sure your eye is properly positioned in the eye box, naturally. Your head should just drop onto the stock, no tension in your neck. If you need to buy a cheapo cheekpiece raiser pad thing, get one. The factory stock of your rifle has no cheek riser, so you need one.

3. I wouldn't spend any more money on expensive gadgets until you can lay down on the rifle and be truly comfortable. For example, I bought an Atlas bipod and I am going to sell it, I shoot much better off a Harris. How does your body feel after dry firing sessions? How long are these sessions?

FWIW I had a 700P years ago and I never had any luck with it and Hornady 178's. Try something loaded with Sierra 168's or 175's. IMO they are more jump-tolerant owing to the design of the bullet's ogive (leading edge).

Good luck!

Edit: I just saw this: "I was rushed and hungry, but enough with the excuses." When you rush, or shoot after you are tired, you are learning and/or reinforcing bad habits. Don't. Also, don't spend any time with self-criticism. If you are laying there thinking "I have to do this well, dammit!" you will not shoot well. Think about the fundamentals. Gently and patiently check you position; check for tension in your body that would indicate a strained muscled position. Relax and have fun. Look forward to your sessions. It's not a job; don't let it become one.

Last edited:
If you do this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this, you will fire a good shot. Training yourself IMO is doing the right things enough times that you do almost all of them naturally, allowing you to concentrate on the sights and the trigger. Your body position on the rifle becomes second nature. You just do it. Don't despair, I am a slow learner, but it took me two years and about 6,000 rounds and a lot of dry firing before I could confidently say "my body truly knows what to do when I lay down on the rifle". If something isn't right, I feel it and fix it. You will find that even things like your height above the ground will matter. It takes time. Be persistent, enthusiastic but patient.

For me, rule #1 is being comfortable on the rifle. I read in one of your earlier posts something about you muscling the rifle. You absolutely positively cannot do this. If you are seeking repeatable and high level accuracy, do not adapt yourself to the rifle, you adapt the rifle to you. You can do this and spend a lot, or a little. You do not have to spend a lot, but IMO you have to do it somehow. If you are a new rifle shooter you truly don't even know yet what is right for you.

In order to achieve a natural point of aim, you must be comfortable on the rifle. It must fit you; any aspect where the rifle does not fit you will result in your trying to muscle the rifle to make it fit, and it is impossible to muscle a rifle consistently.

1. Length of pull. Add or remove length from the butt to achieve optimum LOP. As you experiment with this, it doesn't have to be pretty. Aftermarket stocks can be had with adjustable cheekpieces, butt spaces, etc, or you can buy add-on butt plate spaces, adjustable butt plates (Tubb), etc. Timney makes a trigger which can be adjusted for finger position.

2. Eye relief and cheek position. If you are teaching yourself, as you gain experience with shooting your body position will evolve. Make sure your eye is properly positioned in the eye box, naturally. Your head should just drop onto the stock, no tension in your neck. If you need to buy a cheapo cheekpiece raiser pad thing, get one. The factory stock of your rifle has no cheek riser, so you need one.

3. I wouldn't spend any more money on expensive gadgets until you can lay down on the rifle and be truly comfortable. For example, I bought an Atlas bipod and I am going to sell it, I shoot much better off a Harris. How does your body feel after dry firing sessions? How long are these sessions?

FWIW I had a 700P years ago and I never had any luck with it and Hornady 178's. Try something loaded with Sierra 168's or 175's. IMO they are more jump-tolerant owing to the design of the bullet's ogive (leading edge).

Good luck!

Edit: I just saw this: "I was rushed and hungry, but enough with the excuses." When you rush, or shoot after you are tired, you are learning and/or reinforcing bad habits. Don't. Also, don't spend any time with self-criticism. If you are laying there thinking "I have to do this well, dammit!" you will not shoot well. Think about the fundamentals. Gently and patiently check you position; check for tension in your body that would indicate a strained muscled position. Relax and have fun. Look forward to your sessions. It's not a job; don't let it become one.

Thank you for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Back out at the range again today.

You may have seen my other post about hold. I'm trying to nail a few things down in that area. I watched a bunch of videos about bipod loading and such but couldn't find any advice about pressure used by the firing hand to pull the rifle in to your shoulder. Today I used little to no pressure and it seemed to help. I also found that doing so reduced how much the rifle moved after firing.

Average 1.187"! Group 3 is Black Hills Ammunition 175gr match while all the others are Freedom Munitions 178gr reman ammo.

A67gEc1.jpg

QjNgHW7.jpg

Yqy5rCO.jpg

Gak7K1F.jpg

fDsDakg.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you.. Trying to learn more about this sport/hobby... It looks like you have improved quite a bit from what I see.. Keep up the good work...

I'm in the same boat as you.. Trying to learn more about this sport/hobby... It looks like you have improved quite a bit from what I see.. Keep up the good work...

I love spending money on new hardware but what much of it has come down to is software. The biggest changes have come from changes to how I'm operating the rifle.

Looks like I'm going out again tomorrow morning. Can't wait to expand on what I learned today!

ETA: Woot! Post 100! Not bad for 12 years :)

Last edited:

I learned a lot from the Rifles Only DVD's. Jacob walks you through making a consistent shot from the prone position in the first DVD.

Spent a whole lot of time dry firing last night and then went back out to the range this morning.

I averaged 1.128" this time around. I great the first three groups but the last one fell apart. The wind picked up, my eyes got blurry and I began rushing. I should just stop shooting at that point.

OHn5wzH.jpg

yNgSRfb.jpg

VzLmI7N.jpg

giEG8ZQ.jpg