• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Personalized Drag Model's Become a Reality

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com

The AB Mobile Lab has now seen half a dozen events, and this time we changed the game. At the Precision Rifle Expo each of our team members was not only able to give a class but we performed a public demonstration of the Mobile Lab's ability to upload Personalized Drag Models from the field. Users were able to shoot their rifle and within a short period of time download that rifles PDM via the AB Connect System and use it. In many cases before the demonstration was even over their PDM was already live and ready to use. This was further demonstrated when shooters like Mitchell Cox from Barrett were able to get a PDM on the spot, and turn around using that PDM to get a 1st round hit with factory Berger Ammunition at 2125 yards with his own rifle. He stated that he had never shot beyond a mile before that.

We were able to upload 12 PDMs during the live demonstrations/classes throughout both days. PDMs for AB Training Division, Barrett, Burris Optics, Chase, Corbin Shell, Pierce, Stiller Actions, Vudoo Gun Works, David Lott, Brian Wink and more.

We will be bringing the Mobile Lab back out for the Kestrel Fall Classic and doing PDMs for users on Zero Day before the match. Anyone is welcome to stop by and see it in action. But AB will now be providing an unmatched level of precision drag modeling by allowing users to use their rifle and ammo loads under radar.

Our PDMs are tracked through transonic into subsonic so they are valid for ELR Shooting, and do not suffer from the variances that G1 and G7 have.

PRE-PDM.png

I already have a personal drag model. Somewhat higher than it should be but a few less donuts and some road work might fix it.

A real good service. (y)

Very interesting. About how long does it take to run a PDM, how many rounds and is it aimed fire at a target or fired “through the traps” so the doppler can simply record data?

Basically can you outline the process?

Thx
ZY

Huge Kudos to AB for being at the Altus Kestrel Fall Classic. Super nice crew and it was awesome to get a personal drag model at sight-in on Friday and have it avail for Sat. Lay down, fire 10 rounds into the berm near the target, 5 minutes later data in hand.

The team worked hard to got almost 50 PDMs uploaded and pushed as a bullet library update Friday night. I was getting 0.62% BC variation on 140 ELD-Ms running 2805...I was told, anything under 1% is "great".

FWIW, I did try the numbers during the match and they were spot on...within about 0.05 mil of my custom curve, but just a little bit different. Certainly a tweak and not a revision to what I had been using.

ZY

For those that are wondering if you are missing out by using just a trued G7, I wouldn’t sweat it. Both the G7 and PDM they gave me both match up nearly identical out to 1800 yards in the kestrel with a 105 hybrid, and both were spot on out to 1050 during the match.

Reactions: LastShot300
lte82,

Great clarification. The bullet library is pretty spot on. I was impressed with the technology (their unit was a labradar on horse steroids) and the service.

The real value of this is a bullet that is new, not shot a lot or coming out of a platform that has some unique attributes—gain twist, left hand twist, etc. Or Longer range/ELR where you are well into subsonic. And, perhaps 22 at 2-400 kind if stuff.

But fully agree, no great departures from what you get with a trued G7 or Custom Curve.

ZY

Last edited:
lte82,

Great clarification. The bullet library is pretty spot on. I was impressed with the technology (their unit was a labradar on horse steroids) and the service.

The real value of this is a bullet that is new, not shot a lot or coming out of a platform thats has some unique attributes—gain twist, left hand twist, etc. Or Longer range/ELR where you are well into subsonic. And, perhaps 22 at 2-400 kind if stuff.

But fully agree, no great departures from what you get with a trued G7 or Custom Curve.

ZY

The most interesting thing I saw was the difference in G7 values between barrel twists. With the 105 hybrid I saw a couple of 8 twists that averaged around .274, 7.5 twist was .278-.279, and my 7 twist was .286. The extra RPM definitely improves the BC of that bullet.

Reactions: ZY100