• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Peruvian Mauser 1932 bolt shroud question

AZgeek

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2014
Tucson AZ
I was looking for a small ring mauser action for a 6.5x55 swede build and fucked up and bought this weird small ring k98 action. Its a rare action per my research. Only 5K rifles made for Peru. Chech Bruno Modelo 1932 carbine in 7.65mm.

1654835526548.png

Can anyone tell why this bolt shroud does not have a safety? Its a rather odd shape and not sure if it is just missing or if its some type of aftermarket product based on a conversion:

1654834886700.png

Hoping someone knows what gives with this bolt shroud. The entire bolt (including shroud) is not original to the receiver.

Thanks

AZ

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallDodge
It looks similar to the later commercial variants of the Mauser 98 bolt. The post war stuff, especially what was seen on Husqvarna and FN guns in the 60s and 70s. That is not to say that is what it is, but it looks like it.

We will need to see pics of all the markings on the bolt assembly. They will often be very small and in out of the way places. These will likely tell us who made it.

Thanks Mk20. Looks like it could be an actual Mauser/FN commercial shroud. I suppose there is a trick of some kind to lock back the firing ping to disassemble given the lack of safety flag?

Moving on to identifying the bolt next.

The receiver has been drilled and tapped so I wouldn't worry much about collector value anymore.

I have a really nice 03-A3 that someone did that. I bought it super cheap for that reason and just enjoy shooting it.

Do you want to use this shroud or get one that is original? Is there a safety anywhere else on the rifle?

Lariat: Only have the receiver and bolt. Thinking I will just use this shroud with an Timney Mauser replacement trigger which I think has its own self contained safety.

MarshallDodge: This is my first Mauser action. Learning and fumbling through this. It will be interesting if I can pull this off, and to your point just enjoy the final product for personal use.

"The Mutt" as its now affectionaly known. It finally came togther and shot it for the first time today:

1670539284151.png

Components:

Carl Gustov 18.5" in 6.5x55 Swede barrel
VZ 24 basterdized sporter stock
1932 Peruvian Mauser reciever
K98 bolt and trigger parts

Functioned flawlessly. My new truck gun!

Its so light and handy! Have not shot it with the old Vortex red dot in the pic. Just slapped that on after the inital range session as I had trouble seeing the irons with the shade cover at the range. I don't usually shoot at public ranges but today had no choice. The iron sights were dead on at 50 yard with my inital 140gr bullet load using IMR 4064. My plan however is to use 100 to 108 grain bullets to "point and shoot" out to 300 meters if possible.

"The Mutt" as its now affectionaly known. It finally came togther and shot it for the first time today:

View attachment 8016822

Components:

Carl Gustov 18.5" in 6.5x55 Swede barrel
VZ 24 basterdized sporter stock
1932 Peruvian Mauser reciever
K98 bolt and trigger parts

Functioned flawlessly. My new truck gun!
Sweet :love: