• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pet Loads W/ SMK 175 for 18inch barrel

silentbushmaster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2010
Wytheville, Va
Just put together a Remington with 18 inch barrel. Looking for some real work load data and drop chart for a 18 inch barrel with a 175 SMK with Varget powder. Don't want copy cat info from Load Developement Software, or JBM info. If you have a 18in setup with some good info, I could use your info to help me get started. Thanks in advance...

Re: Pet Loads W/ SMK 175 for 18inch barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: James Parker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just put together a Remington with 18 inch barrel. Looking for some real work load data and drop chart for a 18 inch barrel with a 175 SMK with Varget powder. Don't want copy cat info from Load Developement Software, or JBM info. If you have a 18in setup with some good info, I could use your info to help me get started. Thanks in advance... </div></div>

I don't think that there are a lot of guys running 18" M-700s, for starters.

42.5 grs of Varget, IMR-4895 and/or RL-15 is a pretty good place to start under the 175s. Seat out to 2.800-2.830" unless you have a custom cut chamber.

In addition, how are we going to know what the velocity is, in your particular barrel? Go up to the RELOADING DEPOT, look in the .308 section and see if you see any guys loading for a 20" LTR who give velocities and then bump it back by 50-100 fps, for your JBM drop tables.

There are no shortcuts, sorry to say.

Chris

Re: Pet Loads W/ SMK 175 for 18inch barrel

Several folks shoot 18in rifles, while JBM is good. I would like to see what is working in other rifles to help speed the process up. I have done some load research, and it looks like on paper anyway that it "45.0 grains Varget with a 175 SMK will be going around 2500 fps with some drop info, looks good. Another rifles data to cross reference would be a help...