• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Peterson Brass Prep ?

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    I just bought 250 cases of Peterson 6.5 CM brass w/ SRP pockets from Brownell's as it was on sale and I used a 10 % discount code w/ Free Shipping.
    It worked out to right at $ 70.00 per 100 delivered to the door.
    I figured on using this in my Tikka CTR and that it should last me a while.
    The two savage rifles will inherit the Hornady brass stash that I have amassed over the years.

The interior of the cases are MUCH NICER than the Hornady brass that I have been using.
    I am planning on chamfering the base mouths as a matter of standard operating procedure.

Is it worth putting forth the effort to uniform the flash holes and / or the primer pockets ?

I just got Peterson too. Out of 100 cases I think 4-5 actually had anything trim from flash hole, so no, I do not think you have to do much in prep. I did have to turn the necks as I measured .0155-.016 which to thick for my current barrel. The primer pockets are tight, I would not mess with them at all. 2nd firing and I still can only get the Go pin half way in pocket. Great brass. If you do not have a tight chamber you can chamfer, debur, prime and shoot. Remember to reduce your loads too. I measured and Peterson is 2-3 grains less internal case capacity than Starline or Hornady.

The only thing I did (after measuring case lengths) with my Peterson brass was chamfered the necks before I loaded them. I shot them out of my CTR in 260 rem. and they shot outstanding. I shot them from 100-1050 yards

Even though it's a little old, I thought I would contribute back to this thread since it was one that I read before I placed my recent Peterson order. In my case I picked up 500 SRP 6.5 Creedmoor. The cases appear to be very robust. Flash holes are cleanly cut and uniform. At this point, I only intend to chamfer the case necks and then load them up. I took several measurements of a 10% sample and the dimensions appear consistent across the lot. At this point, they're on my short list and I intend to buy more.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 2.22.16 PM.png

I have not used Peterson brass yet but I prep all of my new rifle brass. Lapua, Norma and even Winchester. I'll resize it, knowing that the die probably won't touch the shoulder, trim and deburr it, uniform the primer pocket and deburr the flash hole.

The primer pocket steps have been argued over and over but its a one time deal and I just do it.

For sure. Everyone establishes their own case prep methods that work best for them. In the end we're all just trying to eliminate variables. My aim was more to share that after inspection I found that Peterson produces quality brass with consistent dimensions. Or at the very least, I can say that this box of 500 exhibits those characteristics.

Wrt chamfering case necks: my Peterson 6.5CM SRP brass was chamfered (inside only) when I got it. Same Brownell's sale as OP, same timeframe.

Interesting. Mine definitely isn't. However, I did buy the 500 count bulk packaging. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Interesting. Mine definitely isn't. However, I did buy the 500 count bulk packaging. Not sure if that makes a difference.
    Mine came in the nice 50-round boxes - I only ordered 200 rounds. Also ordered 200 rounds bulk-packaged (bagged) Star Line.

Peterson case mouths are smooth and chamfered. Star Line case mouths... not. Both brands are quite consistent case to case in weight/OAL/length to shoulder, with Peterson averaging about 11 grains heavier (172 vs 161) and .003" shorter OAL (1.914" vs 1.917"), similarly shorter to shoulder. I did weigh water volume but didn't write it down. Main thing for me was having a handle on consistency within brand. Glad the Star Line is a wee bit longer so I can smooth and chamfer the lumpy case mouth.

Mine came in the nice 50-round boxes - I only ordered 200 rounds. Also ordered 200 rounds bulk-packaged (bagged) Star Line.

Peterson case mouths are smooth and chamfered. Star Line case mouths... not. Both brands are quite consistent case to case in weight/OAL/length to shoulder, with Peterson averaging about 11 grains heavier (172 vs 161) and .003" shorter OAL (1.914" vs 1.917"), similarly shorter to shoulder. I did weigh water volume but didn't write it down. Main thing for me was having a handle on consistency within brand. Glad the Star Line is a wee bit longer so I can smooth and chamfer the lumpy case mouth.
    That's the same experience that I have had with Star Line brass. For the price, I'm very pleased with it. I use it a lot in the 6.5 Grendel SBR that I hunt pigs with. It's an AR-15 and I hunt a lot at night. So, I don't feel as bad when I lose one of the cases. This Peterson lot is for a new 6.5 Creedmoor build. So, I wanted to step it up a notch. I was going to spring for Lapua, but then found a Brownells sale. That price, combined with the good things I've heard about Peterson, convinced me to give it a go.

I knew that the bulk packaging didn't come with the storage boxes. I wasn't worried about it because I wouldn't use them anyway. Unfortunately, it appears they don't get chamfered either if you go that route. Not a big deal. Nothing that I can't fix with a movie and a glass of bourbon.

Been using Peterson 6.5 SRP since I started reloading. Going on my 18th reload (41.2 gr H4350, Berger 140s) and have yet to lose a single case to loose primer pockets or split necks.

Good stuff in my book.

Been using Peterson 6.5 SRP since I started reloading. Going on my 18th reload (41.2 gr H4350, Berger 140s) and have yet to lose a single piece to loose primer pockets or split necks.

Good stuff in my book.
    Did you uniform the primer pockets in the beginning?

No. Ran them through an expander and started shooting.

Bought an AMP annealer somewhere around the 8th reload & have since annealed after each load.
    While this is getting further from the OP's question, it's still relevant: In another thread, AMP owners have reported the sudden intense heat produces an oxidation which can be detrimental if cases are not tumble-polished for up to several hours after annealing.

Santa brought me an AMP annealer, and so far I've only used it with .223 cases, which I tumble for an hour as my final brass prep step prior to loading. What, if any, post anneal processing do you do with your Peterson or other 6.5CM brass?

Thanks.

I was curious about the fact that my cases weren't chamfered and ended up finding this. Thought I would share it.

I was curious about the fact that my cases weren't chamfered and ended up finding this. Thought I would share it.

Good stuff. Thanks. I wonder if this new magical goo lasts more than one firing - or especially through annealing with an AMP machine.

I have a similar question. I wonder if wet tumbling with SS pins wears it off. I intend to hit them up on Monday. I’ll ask about the annealing as well since I use the AMP too. I’ll post the feedback here.

I have a similar question. I wonder if wet tumbling with SS pins wears it off. I intend to hit them up on Monday. I’ll ask about the annealing as well since I use the AMP too. I’ll post the feedback here.
    Cool. I hit 'em up via email last night. Autoresponse says - surprise, I should have though of this - they're at SHOT through 1/28.

I asked Alex Findlay, AMP President (he's on SH but I don't recall his username), about the sticky residue issue reported in other SH threads. His response was that annealing per se didn't cause any residue, but he didn't address what effect the instant, focused heat of an AMP machine might have on polish/lube/etc. on the case or powder residue in it (some powders leave more than others and not all residue "cooks" the same in the AMP). I'm assuming he was also at SHOT - he has been in the past, although a long hike from New Zealand - as he answered my email this morning (SHOT ended yesterday). I circled back on the residue issue - will be interesting to see what response he might have.

I just so happen to have some brand new Peterson brass I can do some testing on. This brass has never been fired, I did not chamfer the neck in any way. I loaded up a ladder test and I got pressure before I reached this round. It has been loaded for around a month or so. I pulled the bullet with an inertia hammer.

the pics make it look worse than it really is. It’s not visible to the naked eye unless you hold it in the light just right

i would say the coating is working. I know 100% that Lapua brass will score the copper jacket pretty damn obviously even
    096F385D-98FE-4B81-8223-259BBCC06A79.jpeg
    3E291C61-68A5-451B-81E1-1DDBB63341AC.jpeg

That's awesome. At this point I intend to try it out without chamfer as well. The more I learn about this brass the more I like it.

Sorry for the delay fellas. I called them this morning. Here's the scoop. The retail boxes of 50 will still be chamfered. The bulk boxes of 500 (like I purchased) will NOT be chamfered. That's part of how they provide the additional savings on the bulk brass. All (bulk and retail) will have the coating. The coating is only good for the first firing. Once you fire, tumble, anneal, etc. it's back to standard protocol for brass care/prep.

Reactions: DownhillFromHere