• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Peterson Brass

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
Bought 500 rds Peterson 6.5cm brass. Very consistent in weight, out of 25 samples total of 1.5grain variance.

Just starting to load these for the first time and since they were bulk packed wanted to run an expander in them to uniform the necks. Was measuring necks to figure out what bushing/mandrel to use.

The necks though, are a little surprising. Across the first fifty cases I am working with it is common to see variances in neck thickness of 1.6thousandths, which is 10-12%, anywhere from .0130 up to .0146 in thickness. Also 5-6thousandths run out on the necks.

Nosler brass for my 7mag had a small fraction of the neck variance and most pieces literally had zero runout. Of course its nearly twice the money.

Happy with the weights, but not too happy about the necks on this brass. Strangely, i cant get rid of the runout...still there even after full length size and expander. Im thinking i wont be able to fix it until they are fireformed.

This will go in a nice gas gun. Turning necks to uniform them for a gas gun would be silly...right?