• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Peterson pre-order update

G

ELRResearcherXGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
685 posts this site
PETERSON PRE-ORDER UPDATE
11/08/2016 Last edited 11/11/2016 by ELRResearcher

Interesting stuff in CT land

1. Peterson Cartridge Company – their SHOT Show 2017 “new products” announcement, ".408 and .375 Casings" – see pic (click the bottom left image) here - n2a.goexposoftware.com/events/ss17/goExpo/exhibitor/listExhibitorProducts.php?list_rows_per_page=12&list_offset=36#list

Note:

10.36 x 77 (not .408 CT) – CIP proposal

9.5 x 77 (not .375 CT) – CIP proposal

“…more than 20 reloads from our casings…” – this seems to be absolutely real…but your experience may vary. [loads understood to have been in the range of 60-65K psi]

2. From CT’s Facebook page (October 3. 2016):

“CheyTac USA, LLC is pleased to announce the acquisition of GS Custom Bullets. GS Custom Bullets is world renowned for their ability to deliver bullets in multiple calibers that meet the highest standards. We are confident that this acquisition will bring value to all CheyTac and GS Custom supporters…”

Per my call to GSC, they will be moving into the CT main site presently, currently building additional equipment for that move. Their involvement will be much more than projectiles. CT is already offering GCS projectiles in their ammo SKUs. [GSC has been manufacturing their Balanced Flight projectiles for some time.]

Rate now:
VaRandy
VaRandy.jpg

XGunny Sergeant
578 posts this site
Re: Interesting stuff in CT land
11/08/2016

Are they communicating with anyone about when they can deliver?

Rate now:
685 posts this site
11/08/2016

Randy:

Yes but nothing is yet cast in concrete. My concern is one or more mil orders "commanding" priority - thus impacting commercial sales. They have one advantage in dealing direct with the consumer, they don't have to fill the distributor/retailer pipeline.

Rate now:
685 posts this site
11/09/2016 Last edited 11/09/2016 by ELRResearcher

Seems I was a day early in getting the news as today (11/9) Peterson e--blasted this newsletter:

.408 (10.36 x 77) & .375 (9.5 x 77) for CheyTac®* chambered guns – we have invested a huge amount of energy into the development of our new CheyTac-caliber casings, which we refer to by their metric designations – our .408 is head stamped 10.36 x 77 and our .375 is head stamped 9.5 x 77. Our goal has been to produce the most consistent casings available on the market. We recently finalized the anneal temperatures we want to use to ensure the casings don’t stick in the chamber, while at the same time maximizing the number of reloads our shooters will get. We have spent the past few weeks testing the (close to) final product. The main complaints we’ve heard about other cases on the market are they are too hard in the neck so they split. They are too soft above the head so they have case-head separation. Primer pocket blowout is common. Oh, and they are shaped like a banana. Our thorough development and QA process has eliminated these issues, and we are very excited and encouraged by the results of our testing – we are consistently getting more than 15 reloads per casing without sticking, neck splits, gas leaks or head separation. We are currently taking pre-orders [Please hold the press just a little bit on the pre-orders - more info shortly.] for our 10.36 x 77 and 9.5 x 77 casings and plan to have product available for sale by the SHOT Show in January. If you want to read more about our mission to put your CheyTac gun back in service, check out www.petersoncartridge.com/cheytac-back-in-service.

Ramped-up production
To keep up with demand for our casings we added a second shift, and we are currently hiring for a third shift. We use a very thorough pre-employment and recruiting process, which allows us to hire exceptionally qualified candidates. Because we have to screen and interview a large number of applicants to make just one new hire, it’s a time-consuming process. We are also meticulous with training and indoctrinating new-hire production workers so they don’t make typical new-hire mistakes. Again, it takes more time, but it’s an important step in ensuring our products are up to your standards.

Order fulfillment
We are also excited to share that we have received (what for us are) a couple of large orders recently. We are currently finishing up a 400,000 piece order, which has had everyone working overtime.

Thank you for reading and for your interest in our latest developments. We are proud to have a great following of shooters, and look forward to sharing more regular updates moving forward. Stay tuned for news on new calibers, products we’re testing, special promotions and more.

Accuracy starts here,
Joe

Joe Coury
Director of Development

*CheyTac is a registered trademark of Tactical High Energy Impact Systems. Peterson Cartridge has no affiliation with them.

Rate now:
jbrand11
jbrand11.jpg

X53 MONTHS
Premium Member
Sergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
430 posts this site
11/10/2016

so how will they perform in a DT 375CT since CheyTac and DT use different reamers?

Rate now:
685 posts this site
11/11/2016

jb11 - if you have the DT reamer drawing, I suggest you contact Peterson. If not, I suggest you contact DT and ask them to inquire for you.

Rate now:
685 posts this site
PETERSON PRE-ORDERING UPDATE
11/11/2016

PETERSON PRE-ORDERING UPDATE

Just got off the phone with Andy Brown at Peterson. Here is the drill.

Those wanting to pre-order should e-mail Andy at [email protected] to get a position on the pre-order list. NO payment required, just gets you in line to pre-order.

Your e-mail should:

1. Have "408/375 Pre-Order" as the subject line.
2. Include the following:
Name
Phone number
ID which cartridge case you want - 375 (9.5x77) or .408 (10.36x77), or both
Number of 50 piece boxes you want to pre-order.

That's it. Go for it!

Rate now:
jbrand11
jbrand11.jpg

X53 MONTHS
Premium Member
Sergeant
430 posts this site
Re: PETERSON PRE-ORDER UPDATE
11/11/2016

ELR - DT uses a JGS reamer vs Chey Tac using PTG it is common knowledge as far as I know, having to find it out myself when Whidden was making a set of custom dies for me several years back, one would think that Peterson would have taken this into consideration prior to starting their 375 endeavor given that DT is the most popular factory 375CT maker out there unless they decided to just cater to the relatively small number of Chey Tac owners
Perhaps someone from Peterson can chime in since they have an account on this site

Rate now:
685 posts this site
11/11/2016

jbrand11 wrote:
ELR - DT uses a JGS reamer vs Chey Tac using PTG it is common knowledge as far as I know, having to find it out myself when Whidden was making a set of custom dies for me several years back, one would think that Peterson would have taken this into consideration prior to starting their 375 endeavor given that DT is the most popular factory 375CT maker out there unless they decided to just cater to the relatively small number of Chey Tac owners
Perhaps someone from Peterson can chime in since they have an account on this site​
"Common knowledge"... Are you saying you know that the Peterson brass will not fit properly in a DT HTI or what? Do you actually know IF the two BRANDS of reamers are different in some meaningful way?

I'm not a spokesperson for either of these companies - nor for any company.

Again, suggest you contact DT.

Rate now:
jbrand11
jbrand11.jpg

X53 MONTHS
Premium Member
Sergeant
430 posts this site
11/12/2016

Yes. They are different in a " meaningful way". That is the issue that was brought to light several years ago even on this site with DT owners having problems using Chey Tac loaded 375 which was design specifically for their chamber. I tried to locate the thread in archives but unsuccessful. Calling DT will yield nothing. I will gladly text screen shots of my conversation with them when this was happening. JGS and PTG will both gladly send you prints. That's how I got them after getting nothing but bull from DT.

Rate now:
685 posts this site
11/12/2016

JB11:

Based on your research, those that are shooting the DT HTI with a factory barrel may have issues. Just like you said, without specifics. But...seems you have yet to actually try the Peterson brass. Since that "problem" was then, have you asked DT what the situation is now? In particular, whether they have tried the new Peterson brass in their current production barrels/rifles? That is the going-forward question, not what they can no longer do anything about (your barrel). Please also ask DT why they went with the different reamer spec than CT was using.

Were the DT-implementation to be the only use of these cartridge cases, certainly Peterson "should" have gone that way. However, if you read the e-blast that Peterson sent out, you might have noted their recent completion of a 400K order for their brass. Since, based on what you said, seems unlikely that DT was the buyer (UNLESS it meets their current and going-forward needs), and that their customer would not go for a 400K piece order from a new producer without first doing due diligence on that brass meeting their requirements, I'm "guessing" there were (are) compelling reasons for them (Peterson) going the way they did (cartridge spec).

After you talk to DT, suggest you contact Joe Coury, Director of Development at Peterson, to pose whatever questions still remain.

Rate now:
jbrand11
jbrand11.jpg

X53 MONTHS
Premium Member
Sergeant
430 posts this site
11/12/2016

On it

Rate now:
RWSGunsmithing
RWSGunsmithing.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
5292 posts this site
11/16/2016
(1 vote)

I built Peterson Cartridge's rifle that they are using for testing. I chambered 4 barrels for them 2-375 and 2-408's. One using a PTG reamer and one using a JGS reamer.

Rate now:
jhuskey3006XSergeant
420 posts this site
11/17/2016 Last edited 11/17/2016 by jhuskey3006

RWSGunsmithing wrote:

I built Peterson Cartridge's rifle that they are using for testing. I chambered 4 barrels for them 2-375 and 2-408's. One using a PTG reamer and one using a JGS reamer.​
So you should know how much difference there is in the two reamers/chambers, will you tell us who own rifles you built?

Rate now:
Dill45XPrivate
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
8 posts this site
11/30/2016

Glad I saw this thread. I'm having a 375 built and hadn't decided on the reamer to chamber it. This my sway my choice depending on how these are made. Seems like the best source of quality brass.

Rate now:
sass2924XPrivate
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
15 posts this site
01/04/2017

Has anyone found the answer to the reamer question? If not I'll ask at the shot show.

Rate now:
secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
503 posts this site
01/05/2017

It was my DT in which CT factory ammo was having longitudinal case ruptures near the head/web. Those were loaded with 136-136.5 grains of something that was probably retumbo and they were going real fast but they were real hot.

I sent them the ruptured cases and the rest of he loaded ammo and they sent back a letter saying competitors chambers are different and they had to significantly reduce their load as a rwsult. They also sent me 50 pointed SMKs as a consolation prize.

I dont think i was able to determine if it was the solids or the SMKs or both that were rupturing because I didnt notice it till after the fact and the fired brass was mixed together by then.

There was something going around at the time about bore size and projectile diameter and i kinda assumed he solids made less pressure and the SMKs were the realy hot ones but that is speculation.

Kinda made me mad bc I had 4 boxes of those CT factory SMK loads and all the primer pockets were trashed. Brass feom those loads was useless.

BTW guys, I prefer Bertram to Jamison, it has more H2O capacity and I can run it a bit hotter and my bertram easily gets 10+ loads

I am interested in trying the Peterson

Rate now:
Emouse
Emouse.jpg

XSergeant
479 posts this site
01/05/2017

ELRResearcher wrote:
Randy:

Yes but nothing is yet cast in concrete. My concern is one or more mil orders "commanding" priority - thus impacting commercial sales. They have one advantage in dealing direct with the consumer, they don't have to fill the distributor/retailer pipeline.​
MIL orders for 408 and/or 375?

So which DoD ordered 500,000 of each or more?

Unless thats the case ( pun intended) then there should be no supply log jamb.

Rate now:
685 posts this site
01/05/2017

All I have seen so far is APO's FB post of 12/27 that they received both - 25 each in one box - pic - facebook.com/pages/Ashbury-Precision-Ordnance/131725820215093

Rate now:
jonnyhuckXCorporal
Rating: 2.4/5 this site
81 posts this site
01/07/2017

You were loading 136.5g of retumbo ??

Rate now:
jhuskey3006XSergeant
420 posts this site
01/07/2017

jonnyhuck wrote:

You were loading 136.5g of retumbo ??​
He said CT Factory ammo........

And I've still got some early early early Jamison loaded CT "factory" with that load in it. It's really bad news....

Rate now:
jonnyhuckXCorporal
Rating: 2.4/5 this site
81 posts this site
01/07/2017

That's crazy , that should border criminal negligence .

Rate now:
jhuskey3006XSergeant
420 posts this site
01/07/2017

jonnyhuck wrote:

That's crazy , that should border criminal negligence .​
Fact....

Rate now:
secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
503 posts this site
01/07/2017

Pull the bullets, dump the powder in the compost (great fertilizer) and reload it with 131 Retumbo and you will be GTG.

Rate now:
Dill45XPrivate
8 posts this site
01/11/2017

Just out of curiosity, what are most people using for reamers in their 375 CT's? I need to pick up the reamer for my smith and I honestly have no idea which one to go with.

Rate now:
sass2924XPrivate
15 posts this site
01/18/2017

I talked to Peterson at the Shot Show today. They told me the 375 Cheytac, 9.5x77, should be ready to ship in the next couple of weeks. The cases they had on display looked good.

Rate now:
P3T3RXPrivate
36 posts this site
01/19/2017

I have just received an email saying they are available now but shipping may take 7-10 days. Hope it doesn't take long to find its way over to the UK.

Rate now:
Dill45XPrivate
8 posts this site
01/19/2017

Just put an order in for a box. Said it will take 7 days to California.

Rate now:
P3T3RXPrivate
36 posts this site
01/19/2017

Unfortunately they don't ship direct to the UK otherwise I'd of put my order in already, need to wait for the distributer to get some over.

Rate now:
George166XPrivate
4 posts this site
01/19/2017

Peterson Cartridge has been testing in both chambers successfully. There has been a lot of research and development on the .375 and .408 CT.

secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
503 posts this site
01/27/2017

I too just ordered 50 to try out. Interested in H2O capacity. Developing a load for my buddy's 375 barrel next week, so I'll have plenty of shooting to do!

Rate now:
sass2924XPrivate
15 posts this site
01/27/2017

Anyone get a shipping notice yet?

Rate now:
CplSnafu
CplSnafu.jpg

X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Sergeant
352 posts this site
Saturday at 7:40 PM Last edited Saturday at 8:41 PM by CplSnafu
(1 vote)

A gunsmith friend and I spent a while at their SHOT show booth talking to one of the peterson owners. The day before, my friend had fired some of the .375 peterson brass (with cutting edge bullets) through an HTI. All looked well except there was a pretty gnarly ejector swipe on the case(and one from a previous firing). It was partially because of the swipe and the claims of 20 reloads that we spent so much time there. We handed him the case to show and he asked if he could have it. He was very interested in checking it out in a lab. Its only one case, and a handload at that, so its a tiny piece of evidence, but we were stoked he took such an interest in it.

He was very very interested in shooter feedback. He must have said it 25 times. Regarding the chamber dimension issues, you guys need to beat down their door with info. Your reamer prints, normally used loads, loads you expect should work in this cartridge brass, problems you experienced in past brass, etc. They want to hear it. He was very agreeable to on-going changes aimed at improving the product. I have no affiliation with them at all, but i got a warm and fuzzy vibe talking to him. Totally different experience than talking to the biggie brass makers.

Rate now:
secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
503 posts this site
Sunday at 12:47 PM

I think swipes and 20 reloads may be two different things. I suspect that with careful reloading and a load completely under the pressure limit, I could get 20 firings from many manufacturer cases. On the other hand, give me a Lapua case and I can ruin it in one firing with just a couple grains above max.

I'm SUPER interested in what powder charge was behind those CE 352s in that HTI. I've played around with mine for 3 years with loads of 125 up to 136 or Retumbo (latter was a big mistake trying to duplicate Cheytac loads which were overloaded) and I can say with some confidence that out of that gun if you're much over 132 Retumbo or 3065 FPS, you're HOT. The prior generation of DTM guys corroborated this - I haven't talked to the new guys much yet.

Rate now:
CplSnafu
CplSnafu.jpg

X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Sergeant
352 posts this site
Sunday at 1:01 PM

I agree completely! Being a handload, its a tiny piece of evidence. As you noted, that could be done with the strongest cases in a single firing. If you had a choice to make changes to their product to make it Lapua strong vs Federal silly puddy.....

I've always stayed away from thw .408 family due to the tribulations of the brass. That would change if there was really good brass.

Rate now:
secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
503 posts this site
Sunday at 1:05 PM

I agree this brass could be a game changer and I'm very excited. But don't shy away, when IQ metals gets a load of Bertram, stock up on 100 of them and you'll be good for the first half of your barrel life

Rate now:
George166XPrivate
4 posts this site
Tuesday at 4:04 PM

10.4 cc

Rate now:
secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
503 posts this site
Tuesday at 4:08 PM Last edited Tuesday at 4:14 PM by secondofangle1

George166 wrote:
10.4 cc​
Did you just measure that?

Did you happen to also measure in grams or grains?

Because that should be 10.4 grams, which would be 160 grains which would compare to 165 grains for Jamison and 167 for Bertram and that's going to require me to make a *significant* reduction in charge if that number is correct.

Rate now:
George166XPrivate
4 posts this site
Tuesday at 4:14 PM

10.4cc water liquid measure

Rate now:
secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
503 posts this site
Tuesday at 4:17 PM Last edited Tuesday at 4:20 PM by secondofangle1

unfortunate if true - unless what's happening is that I'm measuring fired cases and I get 5 more grains capacity on fired cases. I'll have to check a new Bertram when I get home to compare. Thanks for the info! 160 grains is consistent with the Wikipedia entry for 408CT

Rate now:
George166XPrivate
4 posts this site
Tuesday at 4:23 PM

that was 375 we checked

Rate now:
secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
503 posts this site
Tuesday at 4:24 PM

I'm very excited to get my order and test it out!

Rate now:
sass2924XPrivate
15 posts this site
Yesterday at 4:33 PM

Just received the shipping notification. Should see it nextweek.

I got mine and it looks superb. I have not shot it yet, but I picked up one on the local range that was left behind by DT. It has ever so faint of an ejector swipe (they are not known for weenie loads, usually a 352 solid at 3050ish fps). I deprimed it last night and a new primer seated super tight. Like as tight as new Lapua brass

The weight of a new unfired and unresized case with a spent primer in it is 371 grains with a capacity of 160.3 gr H2O capacity.
The fired DT case had an unresized capacity of 165 grains.

By comparison, a new Jamison 2 star case unfired and unresized had a weight of 367 grains with a capacity of 161 grains. A fired case had a capacity of 165 grains H2O.

So, the Peterson is a tiny bit heavier in mass of brass than Jamison, and fired it has the exact same capacity as Jamison.

By further comparison, a new unsized unfired Bertram case with spent primer weighs 362 grains with capacity of 162.4 grains H2O. A fired and unresized Bertram case has a capacity of 167 grains.

I think the fired and unresized measurement is the more relevant measure, because it accounts for your chamber more than the new unfired case capacity.

I will have to report back when I've worked with these cases some more, but so far they are of excellent quality.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i277.photobucket.com\/albums\/kk43\/secondofangle\/IMG_3273_zps9wayr5jv.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i277.photobucket.com\/albums\/kk43\/secondofangle\/IMG_3274_zpskairwk4w.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[URL=http://s277.photobucket.com/user/secondofangle/media/IMG_3275_zpsmlrqq0hf.jpg.html][/URL]