• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pets put to sleep

Edward156

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2013
How many of you vyys have ever had to have a pet, a dog or cat out to sleep?

I had to have my cat put to sleep last night and I'm very upset about it He was 17 and a grumpy old bastard. He'd jump up on the couch and sometiems let me rub him, other times he'd hiss at me like " WTF do you think your doing fucker"..

Im actually surprised at my reaction to be honest. Hell I've been shot twice, stabbed and blown up by a 600lb IED and it sucks. My wife used to say he is me in a cat form.. I can't believe I'm missing the grumpy little fucker the way I am..

I've had to, more than once. It sucks. Hard.

They are part of the family and unlike humans they give themselves to you unconditionally. All they ask for are some water, vittles, and some play time.

I dread the time when it nears.

Just had to put my companion, Muttley, down yesterday... Hard to do, but I know it was his time as he was paying a heavy price for the luxury we enjoyed.

Im sorry for your loss man.

I was shocked he had deteriorated so quickly. Tried to hope he'd be OK. Went to the vets last night with the kids and my wife and the vets bring him in to say goodbye. So he sees me and starts to wag his tail. And of course I started blubbering. The wife is blubbering and the kids are blubbering..

Going to have him cremated and put his ashes under the tree in the hardne he used to love to nap under.

Jeez I'm choking up here just thinking about him.

It is a hard thing...they are Family after all. I have put down 5 pets in my Life due to old age and suffering at The End and it is very hard. We lost a 14 year old Chocolate Lab in Feb. and I'm still weepy about it.

VooDoo

Reactions: Sieg and theLBC
On the way to the Vet to put down our second chocolate lab, Nestle, wife says “That’s it. No more dogs, this is just too hard.”
<- Picked up Della on the way home & she was swimming in our pool that afternoon.

Last edited:
will have to with a english bulldog shortly. She has cancer.

Attachments

• 3071621E-.jpg
    3071621E-.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 39
  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Sad
Reactions: Geno C.
It's probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I stayed with my buddy all the way to the end. I walked out through the dr's office crying like a baby. Cried all the way home. My 5 year old cried for weeks missing Buster. It's frikkin hard.
But...it was the best for your pet. No more suffering.
I'm terribly sorry for your loss Edward.

When you guys are ready to put your vaginas away, it’s just a damn critter.

Smoke that fucker with the ol 22 mag and throw it in the trash!

They make new pets everyday!
Sorry you were abused as a child and your parents did not buy you a puppy seems like you have never gotten over it!

Hardest decision I've ever made. About five years ago i had to do the same to my dog after living with the little shithead for 11 years. After treating him for diabetes for 2 years, he started to lose circulation in both front feet. All the Vet said after the test was, "It's time".
It still gets dusty in the room when I think about him.

OP, sad for your loss.

The black one in the photo to the left is my wolf girl Cloud (thats her mom her paw is on). I watched her being born on Christmas day 2016. Last Nov. she was being really lethargic for a month so I take her to the vet and she says thinks she has lymph cancer and treatment would only prolong her life 6 months but she'd do one more test. I was crying like a damn baby...choking up now. Didnt want to let her suffer so called about putting her down and the vet was scheduled to come out that afternoon. At the last minute the hospital called and said it was not cancer but a liver fungus and treatable. Im down damn near 5K but she's worth it. As member Switchblade put it..."The family dog (or cat) is FAMILY."

Had to have our dog put down 18 months ago and we think about him all the time. He was a integral part of our family. And yes....as a grown man, I cried. We now have another Schnauzer and he is high speed but you can't let that loss and grief keep you from giving another animal the awesome life they deserve.

Had to put down our family dog a couple of years ago. He was 15. I dont wish it on anybody. Will have to do it again someday soon as our other dog is 14.
I think the fact that your pets, especially dogs, look to you for everything they need. They have complete trust in you. They are loyal and always seem so optimistic that today is going to be a great day. It is just a hard thing to put down a pet who has done nothing but provide companionship and good memories for you and your family.
Sorry for your loss.

I think it is one of the most painful things a person has to do.

Here is a coincidental article a friend sent me.

If the time comes, never, ever, ever abandon your responsibility. Be there to send off your buddy.

It hurts.

Sirhr

If the time comes, never, ever, ever abandon your responsibility. Be there to send off your buddy.

It hurts.

Sirhr

I can't fathom the level of chickenshit cowardice that it takes to willing abandon a pet in its dying moments.

We are men. We do the right thing when it's easy and we do the right thing when it's hard. Especially when it's hard.

The two pets we've lost in my household have both died in my arms, as painful as that was. And the next one to go will go the same exact way.

As a matter of fact, the next time one of my cats has to go the vet will come to my house and do it there. My cats are deathly afraid of going to the vet and it stresses them the fuck out. As soon as the pet carrier appears they fucking KNOW where they're going and it terrifies them.

Sucks

Have had to put down cats and dogs when it becomes time....always did it with a house call so they passed around family with no fear. They are perceptive even when in pain from sickness.

Think of the good times and hope you captured their life through pictures.

I shot cats and dogs over the years. All strays and bad ones at that. My heeler of 16 years died 4 years back while I was on my way out of town. That hurt to loose her. she was the best dog I ever had. I had to put my chocolate lab down 2 years ago. he was a close second to my heeler and they were great together. He died in my arms. Though I was closer to my heeler, watching the vet inject and seeing his eyes close was more than enough to make me tear up. I do not value a pets life over a human but it doesn't make it any less easy to watch them die. Sorry for your loss Edward, I feel your pain.

It’s an animal not a human

Neither are you apparently. What in hell would make someone want to enter a discussion that they admit they have no interest in, just to belittle and mock people who have suffered a great emotional loss? Here's a clue - it isn't up to you to get to decide what constitutes a "justifiable" reason to grieve. No one here gives one CRAP what you think. Look at this thread - 33 posts and yours is the only voice spouting this idiotic view and somehow you think everyone ELSE is off base. Look at the posters in the thread - there are some REAL MEN here who have seen and done some serious crap in their lives, and you're going to tell them how they should feel? Who are YOU? You've given your opinion, and in so doing exposed the kind of "man" you are, or think you are. You have nothing else to contribute at this point.

Edited to add: I have no problem with your own opinion as it pertains to how you feel about your own pets, but to come on here and mock others for their loss is unbelievable.

Last edited:
Yep, my pets all have a living will. They get social healthcare but it is limited like in Canada.

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
You bring the critter in and deny it of being out in nature. Best be ready to take care of it from puppy to long in the tooth. Deprive it of its right to die out in nature and keep it alive because your too attached is just wrong
Do you remember what the first rule of holes is?

Let me know if you need a refresher......

Reactions: BCX
Well believe it.

Great emotional loss? It’s a damn animal, not a human. They would eat you left to their own devices.

What about all of the children murdered in the womb every year in America, is that a great emotional loss? I’ll save my tears for them, not an animal.

You would eat you in the situation you describe. Yes I grieve for aborted children. What makes you think those are mutually exclusive? Again, I don't hold your personal view against you in any way. There are a lot of people who feel it's "just an animal" and that's fine. But what makes you think you have any right to tell other people how they should feel, or that you have the right to make fun of them for it?

I wonder if a man who sheds tears for an animal has shown the same or deeper emotional compassion in front of the Almighty for repentance and the damnation his peers face in Hell for their sins...

Best be saving those tears for what really matters.

Holy crap? Do you think you are providing a great witness and testimony right now? Is this how you reflect God's love to your fellow man? I've been a Christian all my life and I've never met anyone so callused to his brother's feelings. These are opportunities to shine Light, not turn people away with taunts and ridicule. I think you need to read more.

Because I’m and America and I have the right to say what I want.

If it offends you, well that’s on you not me.
Nope, it's definitely on you. Read the thread and how you've crapped on everyone.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Well believe it.

Great emotional loss? It’s a damn animal, not a human. They would eat you left to their own devices.

What about all of the children murdered in the womb every year in America, is that a great emotional loss? I’ll save my tears for them, not an animal.
If we got stranded on an island with no food to eat, I'd eat you too.
images.jpeg

It hurts.

Sirhr

I can't fathom the level of chickenshit cowardice that it takes to willing abandon a pet in its dying moments.

We are men. We do the right thing when it's easy and we do the right thing when it's hard. Especially when it's hard.

The two pets we've lost in my household have both died in my arms, as painful as that was. And the next one to go will go the same exact way.

As a matter of fact, the next time one of my cats has to go the vet will come to my house and do it there. My cats are deathly afraid of going to the vet and it stresses them the fuck out. As soon as the pet carrier appears they fucking KNOW where they're going and it terrifies them.

That's why I was with my dog until the very end. The doctor gave him the injection, and I stayed there and held him until he was gone. There was no way I was leaving him alone at the end...period.

Brother, I feel for 'ya, I really do. Nothing but nothing can bring a hardcore motherfucker crying to his knees like losing a cat or dog!

I ALMOST had to go through this recently, my cat started pissing blood and it kept getting worse to the point she couldn't go anymore and just cried. She'd been to the vet, I took her this last time and begged them to fix my cat, knowing if they didn't it was the end. Well, I guess I impressed on them the importance and they did everything and found a rare bladder stone, removed it (was first all the vets had ever seen, one reason it went unnoticed). She's like a new cat and I'm so damn happy about that. I couldn't have dealt with losing her after all the shit I've been through the last two years. And I love my dog every bit as much.

But I guess that day will come and I dread it more than my own day.

Cats are funny about behaviour... Mine wouldn't give me the time of day for the first two years of her life, except to play, now years later she HAS to be held a few times a day and generally sleeps next to me and the dog. They're family! After all, who the hell else ever sleeps in your bed but your closest family?

I know it's hard, but after a bit of time it does help to invite another furball into the mix.

Thinking of all of you who have lost pets recently or are looking at doing so, again, I truly feel for you.

@Edward156 - I'm a veterinarian. I have to do this every day. It is exceedingly RARE that people don't have the same feelings that you do/did when the time comes for their pets. I hate this part of the job, but I am grateful that I can be of help to painlessly end suffering when there isn't another solution. One week ago today I had to do it for one of my own. Bandit was with us for 10 years after we rescued him. I'm still trying to recover from it this morning, but know from experience that the cycle just takes longer than that. In the 28 years I've been a vet, I've had to put down 6 of my own and it never gets any easier. All to say, no reason to be surprised at your reaction to the situation. It is by far the norm, not the exception.

Oh, and you guys know I RARELY do this, but...

Dippy-shit here ain't got a clue, sorry. And if you wanna just piss on a good guy in pain and other good guys trying to console him, then you're an even bigger shit than I imagined. You may be the first person I ignore on this site in ten years. Congratulations.

And congratulations for pissing all over this guy's thread. I know another guy that had surgery and is down, wanna give him shit too while you're at it?

I had to have my lab put to sleep a couple of years ago. My 2 year old son didn't understand and kept asking me where he was. That definitely didn't help. I recently decided I was ready, and got a heeler pup. I still miss the hell out of that goofy ass dog.

How's the old joke go? Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car. Drive around the block a few times, and see which ones happy to see you when you open the trunk.

I got a few posts into this and had to skip to the reply area. Not because you or your four legged family members don’t matter, but because it was getting hard to see the screen.

It’s the hardest and worst thing I’ve had to go through each time and eventually I’ll be there again with the three rescues that are in the house now. Cherish each day with not only them but everyone else you care about because it goes by faster than you expect.

Sorry for your loss Edward. I have sat with dogs three times on the floor of the Vets office as they passed on. One of my parents and two of my own families. One of mine was very old and one was very young (1.5 Years) Pets can be a great portion of a family, and the loss is sure to linger. We now have a 13 year old Aussie and I feel very happy he remains mostly healthy. But I know down the road another difficult day at the vets office may come.

Bro, I'm sorry about your cat. I know how much he meant to you, when you were getting off shift late at night and the two of you just 'wound down' (winded down?) together. And I KNOW how much you looked forward to that, too.

We both are sorry that this had to come. We are NOT looking forward to this having to happen here, either. The time is 'a-coming', but with the med regimen that ours has been on for a few years, that line seems to continue moving forward a touch.

Fish.

We can't handle "this" anymore, and can't think of doing it again.... so we're looking at doing 'fish'. As in, a salt-water aquarium setup type thing. A few people we know have saltwater reefs, and we both REALLY like the concept of the living garden.

That is just an introductory statement, as there is a LOT more to it. I've been reading about it for a number of years, as well as slowly trying to amass the required infrastructure to set one up. Almost there.

Your cat was yours, bro. I'm sorry for your loss.

Oh, and you guys know I RARELY do this, but...

Dippy-shit here ain't got a clue, sorry. And if you wanna just piss on a good guy in pain and other good guys trying to console him, then you're an even bigger shit than I imagined. You may be the first person I ignore on this site in ten years. Congratulations.

And congratulations for pissing all over this guy's thread. I know another guy that had surgery and is down, wanna give him shit too while you're at it?

My first and foremost rule is that I have nothing but total respect for fellow gun owners who share likeminded views. Thus, it makes me grimace, painfully, when I read such uncalled-for and inconsiderate comments such as those from earlier in this thread.

If someone holds such negative opinions regarding a topic that affects a great majority of others, they can simply opt out of a thread instead of potentially starting a fire with irresponsible statements. Only two types of people start fires where they are not needed. Arsonists and irresponsible fools. To everyone who reads this, please... Don't fall into either of these two categories.