• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PGM Ultima Ratio 308w . first impressions

Sako TRG-22

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
Norway
finally it's here, and yes! a more comprehensive review with pictures and range report will follow.

The rifle was bought directly from the factory in France, and the customer service is excellent.

Since I have so much equipment for the 308w cartridge, having previously owned a TRG-22, I decided to go for the Intervention barrell in 308w.

The rifle is compact, sturdy, heavy, balanced and very well made, with some original solutions. The trigger is two stage and adjustable. PGM offers different barrels and with a wide range of cartridges for the UR, the rifle have a very nice quick barrel change feature. Also it features a folding stock. The Intervention barrel incorporates a special cooling system. The barrel is in stainless steel and looks perfect with a mirror like finish. The rifle features a Parker Hale bipod and a monopod.

The bolt goes smoothly and appears to be very well fitted to the action and barrel lock-up.

The magazine holds ten rounds and permits a cartridge length of 73mm, which is about 2mm short compared to the TRG. Measured the max cartridge length of the chamber with Lapua 155gr. scenar and got 72,9mm. This is a tighter fit compared to my old TRG.

This my second PGM, and it looks very promising. The trigger is nice and crisp, but I want the Bench-rest trigger unit for the ligthest possible trigger pull. The trigger on my other PGM in 338lm holds 600gr.

Range report will follow. I have mounted the PM2 3-20x50 scope with P4fine reticle in Badger USMC rings.

Re: PGM Ultima Ratio 308w . first impressions

No fucking pics?

imag0416m.jpg

imag0417ro.jpg

Sorry for that ;-) Also the barrel is 25mm thick all the way out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sako TRG-22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sorry for that ;-) Also the barrel is 25mm thick all the way out! </div></div>Much better, thank you! Cool rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is it for positional shooting?</div></div>

Well not sure what you mean, but having done more extensive shooting with the bigger 338 lm, it was nice to have a 308 with exactly the same ergonomics. Well nearly so - the distance between the bipod and pistolgrip is longer on the 338.

My opinion is that the rifle is very comfortable in many different shooting positions, the stock length and cheekpiece easily adjustable. The only thing that I miss is the height adjustment on the recoilpad, but this solution can be had as an extra option I believe. Have at least seen some pictures of that.

I use the Badger rings and feel that they put the scope in a comfortable position.

The monopod is sturdy and easily adjustable.

I also bought some rubber shoes for the bipod from Accuracy International, and they are really nice when shooting of concrete floor

Hi Sako TRG-22,
Isn't the barrel aluminum sleeved?
I thought only the core was stainless steel.

And since you have a PGM .338, what's the coal you can get out of the .338 mags?

Thanks in advance
Cuga

Yes that is correct - you can spot the stainless part of the barrel just behind the muzzle brake. The barrel is 25mm thick, and the aluminium sleeve makes it even thicker.

Can't remember the max length on the 338 magazine, but I will measure it this evening and let you know. However, the maximum cartidge length with 250gr Scenar is just around 93mm in both chambers (yes I have two barrels for the 338 - one compact 1-10 twist and one long barrel with 1-12 twist). There is plenty of space left in the magazine...

Congratulations on a nice rifle.
Are'nt many of them in Norway.

Yes it's possible to get hold of height adjustable buttplates.

And the rubber shoes for the PH bipod is nice for shooting on hard surfaces indeed.
Also check out the bipod friction lock that Sportingservices in the UK sell, makes the bipod even better.

Yes to my knowledge there are only two PGM rifles in Norway, and I own them both ;-)

Think I will order a Height adjustable buttplate and the BR trigger group.

The rifle/bipod already incorporates a friction adjustment, but I will check out the one you mention.

Thanks Sako, much appreciated!

The 338LM mag can take cartridges up to an absolute maximum of 96mm!

Are you concidering a PGM?

Very nice looking rifle. I'll look forward to hearing how it shoots.

I do, AIs are just too common to be fun, mostly due to the chassis.
I'm not quite sure though if I should buy a PGM.
For hunting the PGM is too heavy compared to more common options* and considering the moot availability of training facilities over 300m in Germany, it seems to be less than useful for other activities than hunting when using the .338.
The overall design's ability to shoot it off-hand make me reconsider, every time I'm near a decision, too.
Shooting prone while hunting is nearly impossible around here, it's heavily wooded and without any elevation of terrain.
So I keep wanting to have one, without being able to justify the expense from a practical point.
Stupid situation.

*TRG, custom build or any hunting rifle

Thanks again for the info on the magazine.
Someday I will have use for it, that I'm sure of.

btw: It is a damn sexy rifle!

For hunting applications I think the PGM 338 would be plain self-torture ;-)

In Norway we have only a very few "long-range" ranges, so what we do is to team up with a local land owner and shoot long range on his ground.

Why don't you concider another caliber? F.eks. the Ultima Ratio you can by a different barrel configurations making the rifle lighter for field use and heavy for range use? I like the UR a little better than the 338. However it must shoot as well as my 338, which is very accurate. And I believe it will - its much easier to shoot well with a less powerful cartridge.

Concider a custom build in 338 - and choose a hunting stock. Take a look at the new bolt-action from Ragnar Hansen in Norway - the rt 706ai!!! You then can use the AI mag solution.

Here it's illegal to discharge a firearm outside a shootingrange.
Except for hunting and zeroing hunting rifles. If there are too many shots in a row it's quite likely that some cyclist or dog walker calls the police.
Building new rifle ranges costs millions, just registrating some piece of private land is impossible, the regulations, mainly on noise emissions but also on backstops are way too repressive.

I already own a .223, 7x57, .308 and a 7.5x55(K31).
One GP11 cartridge costs only 45 cents, reloading that inexpensive to that quality is nearly impossible and I love the rifle and really don't need anotherone in that range.
Thus buying a UR is even less justifiable.

Well, I lack a bigger caliber and most probably it will be a .338 Win or a .338 RUM in a similar configuration as Jered Joplin's comp gun.
After my battery is complete (for as long as I don't "need" a new chambering) there should be time to buy a PGM I suppose, I'm only 23, lots of time left.

Have started the barrel break-in procedure. Very time consuming, but the rifle is a pleasure to shoot. My first three shot group after finishing the one-shot-cleaning procedure, produced a nice 10,5mm (center to center) with the Berger 168gr and Norma powder, at a distance of 120 yards. Well this is very promising and looking forward to get through the barrel break-in process so I can start to do some real accuracy testing and load development.

Yes thank you :) just ordered the fully silenced barrel in 308w as well. It will be a perfect match with the Lapua Subsonic ammunition ;-)

Must say I'm really satisfied with this gun, and will do a more comprehensive review with more pictures and accuracy testing, but I know that this rifle will shoot. The few shots I have done so far is very promising.

I also have bought the original drag-bag, it was pricey but I liked the features very much. I have owned a few Eagle drag bags and like te Eagle, this one seems very well built.

imag0455z.jpg

imag0454z.jpg

On the range today - the break-in process takes time - the daylight is gone very early and night shooting is out of the question ;-), also, very busy at work...

Well during break in I have fired only two 3-shot groups at 120 yards - as shown in the pictures above, one with Berger 168gr VLD and the other with 155gr SMK Palma, using the same charge of 43 gr. of Norma 11 powder. This is very promising but still looking forward to more load development and serious accuracy testing... more will follow ;-)

Dark winterdays, busy at work and terrible weather makes it impossible to shoot, was so bored the other day that I started to play with the camera
pgmultimaratio.jpg

But finally I got to the range today, still at barrell break in, but now i can shoot five shots between cleaning the barrell - probably a waste of time but I like to do this according to the manual but it is veeeeery time consuming

imagehbon.jpg

One of the five shot groups from today at 110 yards, first shot a little low (high to the right in the picture) and the following four clustered into a nice group.

Some pictures of the two bolts, one for the PGM 338lm and the other for the 308w Ultima Ratio:

imagevcz.jpg

imagefuf.jpg

imagebqq.jpg

And one pic from the range today at approx twelve o'clock, not the best light, but imagine how it looks four hours later - complete darkness!

imageqna.jpg

got a spare barrel today, this is going to be fun;-)
imageymxr.jpg

Took me one minute to change the barrel - first time, so it went wery well

imagegvre.jpg

imagesjqs.jpg

The original Intervention besides the fully silenced model. The silenced barrel unit uses a 16" stainless steel barrel with a 1-8" which should be perfect with:

imageovt.jpg

imagenghi.jpg

Lapua subsonic ammunition is a must!

imagenlde.jpg

The internals of the silencer is made of aluminium and stainless steel.

Have tried the fully suppressed barrel and wow, it's very silent!!! Using lapua subsonic the sound is close to a suppressed 22lr with sub-ammo, the only drawback is the lack of accuracy. I was recommended to try out a 240gr bullet weight, which should be plenty accurate. Will do:)

Another experience with this barrel unit is that it gets very wet inside the aluminium tube due to condensation.

It is very convenient to swap barrels, it takes about 30sec!!! But so far I have not had the opportunity to check if there are any change in the point of impact. But I suspect there will be a slight change.

And if you look closely at the pictures of the receiver you can see the four screws that holds the barrel. The bolt locks into the barrel similar to the ar-15, Sauer SSG 3000 and other rifles

I understood France was no longer exporting .308 rifles. In France, it is considered a war caliber. They will export the UR, in .260 and a few other calibers.

Nice rifle. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for all the information! Keep on posting! Wanna see LR groups photos. Who makes their barrels? Are they(barrels) cut rifled, how many groves, what is the twist rate? Thanks.

Thank you, when the weather allows and the snow is gone it will be easier to shoot. I'm looking forward to develope a load for long range. Bought this rifle to accompany my PGM in 338, since it has the same ergonomics and easier and cheaper to shoot.

The Intervention barrel has a 1/12" and four grooves, and the supressed barrel has 1/8" and also four grooves. Believe the barrels come from Walther in Germany. They are both stainless steel in the 308w and Chrome-Moly in my 338lm.

Not sure how it is to have the 308w imported to the USA, but it was relatively easy to Get the export license from France, but it took a while! Had to applie the French ministry of defence for export. No restrictions to import this caliber into Norway.

Last edited:
The receiver is Aluminium, correct? I´m completely in love with the looks of that rifle alone, too bad they´re so scarce.

Yes that is correct! It appears to be very solid, and rides upon a huge aluminium chassis, which the bipod, grip, and folding stock etc is attatched to. It is a very modular rifle concept. Nice to hear you like it. My first PGM was the 338lm, the seller wanted to trade with my Sako TRG-22 and some cash between. I was very found of my TRG and badly wanted a 308w again - but the choice was easy for me - it had to be another PGM :) Just because I liked the 338 so much and it is as you say not something you often see around.

I like that rifle the more I look at it! It looks a lot like an AW missing the skins.

Considering you apparently have at least one barrel off the rifle at the moment, would you mind terribly making a picture of the chamber face area (locking lugs)? I´m realy curious of their design.

Ofcourse ;-)

what I like about the barrel system is that it is well dimensioned - having a diameter of 36mm (about 1,4 inches) - combined with the length of the area that goes into the receiver this system appears to be very stable.

photomars28191159.jpg

img0267ih.jpg

Last edited:
Also if you want a spare barrel that isn't original - say a custom Krieger, Border or something like that, you can use the piece with the locking lugs and fit a new barrel to that one (like you would with an AR-15) and this should be a fairly easy task for a competent gunsmith

Here is a picture of the 338lm version to compare - it has not the quick barrel change feature, but it is a straight forward task to change barrel yourself with an 5mm Allen wrench

pgm338lm1.jpg

Last edited:
So that locking piece actually works like a quick-change bushing? that´s ingenious, i had no idea what a smart solution they´ve employed there :)

Well it is permanently glued to the barrel, I'm not sure but have heard that it is possible to buy the piece with the locking lugs and have a barrel fitted to it, or you can use one from a worne out barrel. Nothing new about this solution, but it appears to be more solid dimensioned for the job:)

Simple and smart! I like it gives you the choice installing this locking cylinder to the desired custom barrel.

Yes, it is a very simple but effective system because you can change the barrels without worrying about headspace problems. The same system is used on the official Scandinavian target rifle, the Sauer STR200 or the Sauer 202 series hunting rifles or the SSG 3000 Police rifle.

I think I will have a custom barrel for my 338lm when the original barrel is worne out, although I already have a spare barrel

on the range today, conditions: windy, snowing and raining - and 0 degrees celcius brrrr really bad weather. The range lies in a way that makes the wind come from many different directions and is often confusing me. Shooting at a distance of 115 yards most loads went just below 1/2 moa - all 5-shots groups with different loads and bullets. Very satisfied with the combination of 155gr Berger BT Match, 49,5gr of N550, Lapua Palma case and CCI small magnum primers. Due to poor light I could not measure the velocity, but supposedly it should be just below 2900fps from 24" barrel.
photoapr11171528.jpg

photoapr11171717.jpg

photoapr11173217.jpg

photoapr11175033.jpg

Fouling shot and the four following shots clustered nicely:)
photoapr11173259.jpg

Also tried a new load for the PGM 338lm at the same range, first shot on clean barrel, and the next four clustered nicely!
photoapr11173253.jpg

So now I have to start further load development. I was hoping to get some good results with the 155gr Scenar but this bullet seems to hate me... Never got it right in my TRG-22...

tried the fully suppressed barrel unit today, but since I have had accuracy problems at 110 yards I tried it at 50 yards to compare and boy was it ridiculously accurate!!! Yes its a short range, but compared to 110 yards the difference was huge - at 50 yards i puts all shots in the same hole at 110 it is about 1,5MOA - guess the bullet wont stabilize at that range. Also it was alot warmer weather today!