• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing PGW Barrel Fluting

bigg_sexy1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
Hello all, I am starting a new build, and I was wondering if anyone knew the rate of twist of the fluting on a PGW barrel.

I am building a 7WSM on a Defiance L/A, Hart 28" barrel to run 180gr Bergers.

Thx for your time

Re: PGW Barrel Fluting

were you planning on setting up to flute yourself? it doesn't matter much what twist, just make sure you twist in same direction as the rifling, otherwise it will cancel the spin of the bullet. J/K, but don't think I haven't been asked that before..is your bolt body fluted too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338BLOODHOUND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the <span style="color: #3366FF">pint</span> in fluting the bolt anywho???? </div></div>

Real_Ale_2004-05-09_cropped.jpg

There are several possible <span style="text-decoration: underline">points</span>. Not the least of which it looks cool.

Had to tease a bit.....been one of those weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">were you planning on setting up to flute yourself? it doesn't matter much what twist, just make sure you twist in same direction as the rifling, otherwise it will cancel the spin of the bullet. J/K, but don't think I haven't been asked that before..is your bolt body fluted too? </div></div>

Hart will be getting the fluting done before shipping me the barrel, I was just hoping to provide them with as much info as I could to try and get the same style fluting. I think that it looks very good. My bolt will be fluted as well, in the opposite direction of the barrel to off set the off set of the bullet spin
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigg_sexy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, I am starting a new build, and I was wondering if anyone knew the rate of twist of the fluting on a PGW barrel.

I am building a 7WSM on a Defiance L/A, Hart 28" barrel to run 180gr Bergers.

Thx for your time

</div></div>

HPIM1306.jpg

The measurements were taken from my Coyote (.308).

Twist = 1:13

10 flutes

0.25" wide

0.24" deep

Diameter of barrel at chamber = 1.30"

Diameter of barrel at start of fluting = 1.21"

Diameter of barrel at end of fluting = 0.96"

Hope this helps.