• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Phase5 EBRv2 GAP-10 Install/Review *Updated*

-Nick-

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2011
1.jpg

I was able to get my hands on a JP LRP-07 with this EBR installed, and it's a great little piece of equipment. It's a one piece replacement for the existing bolt release rather than a screw on addition. Literally less than a minute to install on my GAP-10, but... <span style="font-weight: bold">After I installed the .308 version I found it's function with that particular lower is unusable safely</span>. It sits lose and the bolt slips past if not positioned ever so carefully on locking. Sometimes I had issue even getting the bolt to lock back at all. I locked the bolt back and gently set my rifle on the work bench only to have the bolt slam shut without even so much as touching the lever.

<span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATE: I had sent Phase 5 Tactical an e-mail before returning the product to Brownell's, and they promptly called me back. Apparently this has happened before and it's no an issue with the part but numerous vendors/builders have been using .223 bolt releases on .308 builds. I sent them a photo of my original bolt release and they verified it. I'm going to exchange mine for a .223 and see if it resolves the issue. Ken over at Phase 5 has been excellent in helping me to resolve everything. I will update once I install. </span>

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATE 8/15: POF uses 5.56 bolt releases on their lowers. So I had Phase 5 Tactical send me the 5.56 version, installed it, and it works flawlessly. A big thank you to Phase 5 Tactical who contacted me promptly after I emailed them and help me resolve the issue
grin.gif
. Therefor if you have a GAP-10 or POF you'll want the 5.56 model for your .308.</span>
</span>

Removing the old bolt release is simple...

2.jpg

Installing the EBR is just as easy...

3.jpg

Re: Phase 5 Tactical EBRv2 GAP-10 Install/Review

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Broker, I had trouble at first with the Phase 5 not keeping the bolt locked back. I don't know if the hole for the rebound spring is a little shallow on the MA Ten, but all I needed to do was snip one coil on the spring to allow the EBR to pivot high enough to reliably lock back the bolt. I've since put well over 2000 rounds into my MA Ten without any issues. </div></div>

So how is it better then the Magpul BAD lever if it doesnt work? I'm slightly confused on that.

I run several of the BAD levers and they always have worked, never seen one come off either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how is it better then the Magpul BAD lever if it doesnt work? I'm slightly confused on that.

I run several of the BAD levers and they always have worked, never seen one come off either.

</div></div>

I think it's better in terms of quality. The B.A.D. lever has has issues with running up against the upper too close, not locking properly either, etc. I was trying to be nice KY and not bash the actual product since it does work well on other rifles but still inform others it doesn't work on the GAP-10...

I'm very interested in this argument cause i've tried the Troy Ambi bolt release on my GAP10 and it does not work cause of the design of the upper and lower. So if im reading this right the Magpul B.A.D lever does work on the GAP10 and the Phase 5 does not?
Thanks

All of mine work, I guess Im just lucky that I have not run into this problem you speak of. Might have something to do with the anti rotation pins in the GAP10. From your picture the release appears to sit on top of it.

You make it sound like the BAD lever is an inferior product when it is not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronin1973</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very interested in this argument cause i've tried the Troy Ambi bolt release on my GAP10 and it does not work cause of the design of the upper and lower. So if im reading this right the Magpul B.A.D lever does work on the GAP10 and the Phase 5 does not?
Thanks </div></div>

The TROY version is garbage. I bought one to try out and it was poorly made and had a horrible fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of mine work, I guess Im just lucky that I have not run into this problem you speak of. Might have something to do with the anti rotation pins in the GAP10. From your picture the release appears to sit on top of it.

You make it sound like the BAD lever is an inferior product when it is not. </div></div>

I never said it was inferior or garbage man. I said "imo" I thought this one was better quality. It's also twice the price...

Here's an example of issues people have had with BAD lever. Again, I'm not saying it's crap or inferior. I like Magpul, but I prefer the quality and design of the EBR even though it's not working properly on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronin1973</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if im reading this right the Magpul B.A.D lever does work on the GAP10 and the Phase 5 does not?
Thanks </div></div>

Correct, but I might try cutting the spring back one coil as outlined in another response. I sent George a pm to see if he thinks that's retarded or if it's worth trying...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's an example of issues people have had with BAD lever. Again, I'm not saying it's crap or inferior.<span style="color: #CC0000"> I like Magpul, but I prefer the quality and design of the EBR even though it's not working properly on mine. </span> </div></div>

Im not busting you balls, but to me what you just said makes no sense at all. Why would you invest double the amount of money into a product that doesn't work when another product, works for less? How is the design better if it doesn't work for you?

See what I mean?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's an example of issues people have had with BAD lever. Again, I'm not saying it's crap or inferior.<span style="color: #CC0000"> I like Magpul, but I prefer the quality and design of the EBR even though it's not working properly on mine. </span> </div></div>

Im not busting you balls, but to me what you just said makes no sense at all. Why would you invest double the amount of money into a product that doesn't work when another product, works for less? How is the design better if it doesn't work for you?

See what I mean? </div></div>

I was trying to not bust the balls of either product and avoid an argument... It didn't work, lol...

Updated... see OP

When was your GAP10 built? When i look at mine (built april 2012) the problem that i run into is that the space in the upper where the button is milled out is not open enough to support the addition of a Ambi control. Also does that lever interfere with the Ambi mag release?
Thanks
James

Update 8/15 See OP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronin1973</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When was your GAP10 built? When i look at mine (built april 2012) the problem that i run into is that the space in the upper where the button is milled out is not open enough to support the addition of a Ambi control. Also does that lever interfere with the Ambi mag release?
Thanks
James </div></div>

It does not interfere with the ambi release...