• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Phoenix Custom Rifles work pics and reviews

Keith Johns

Phoenix Custom Rifles
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
centeredandstretched.png

This thread will be for posting pictures and reviews on work done by Phoenix Custom Rifles. Mostly bolt knob installs, but some other work can/will be posted here.
Feel free to post pics or comment on anything concerning PCR here.

www.phoenixcustomrifles.com

<span style="font-weight: bold">My phone number is (480)467-8090</span>

Call me for any questions on bolt work and rifle services. I handle the majority of the rifle work at PCR. I have just over 1000 bolt knob installs under my belt doing mostly Remingtons, a few Savages, and a Howa here or there. The current method of install I use was taught to me by a man on here almost three years ago. It will be discussed below.

Brad Johns, the owner of the company can be reached at (480)747-0528
Call Brad to place rifle orders, answer pricing questions, or get a Cerakote quote.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Phoenix Custom Rifles bolt knob installs</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt knob installs are $90 for Remingtons and Savages</span>. This includes any of our knobs, Cerakote in any color, and return shipping.

We can Cerakote the whole bolt for you for $30 extra(Remingtons only).

Knobs are made from 6061 T6 aluminum. We currently use thread size 10-32.
This method of install, uses a 10-32 stud to join the knob to the handle. It comes out looking very clean, and is very strong. I tested one to failure once and the silver solder holding the handle onto the bolt body gave first. The stud didnt even come close to breaking. I have to date never heard of one breaking during use.
The only one ever broken to my knowledge was ran over by an SUV. We were able to easily extract the broken off stud end, and screw another one in with a knob. The fix took less than an hour for us and would be free of charge to anyone. We stand behind our products and work and will do our best to never let anyone down.

<span style="font-weight: bold">We are now offering Howa and Winchester/FN bolt knob installs.
Price is $110.</span> This includes the knob, coating of the knob/handle, and return shipping.
Any of our knob designs may be used.
Turn around time is the same as Remingtons and Savages.

This is my "Marksman" knob. It is roughly 1.4" long, and .850" in diameter.
IMG_08771.jpg

IMG_08781.jpg

Next is the "Varminter" knob. It is roughly 1.5" long and .850" in diameter.
IMG_09771.jpg

IMG_09761.jpg

IMG_11321.jpg

IMG_11331.jpg

And my "Phoenix" knob. It is the longest at roughly 1.65" long and .850" in diameter.
IMG_09601.jpg

IMG_11171.jpg

Re: Phoenix Custom Rifles bolt knob pics and reviews

Modifications can be made to any of my knob designs to have it better fit your needs.

Its common for people to order a 3-ringed Phoenix instead of 4 rings. The Phoenix can come hollowed or left solid.

Adding 3 rings to the Varminter knob makes it like the Phoenix but with a longer nose angle and a shorter body length.

The Marksman knob can be made to different lengths and diameters.

All knobs can be made smaller or larger at the customers request.

I will install other companies knobs, but I have to make an adapter that sometimes requires blending in to the handle to look up to standard. This simply means I may have to coat the handle. We have SS Cerakote for stainless bolts, and matte black for CM black bolts.

Turn around time for knob installs is 2-5 days in shop. It just depends on when we'll be shipping next.
Bolts getting fully Cerakoted will be held until the Cerakote is cured. This takes 4 days.

Thank you

Savage bolt knob installs are available as well.

You can send either your whole bolt, or just the handle.

I cut off your factory knob, mill a flat shelf, and install one of my 10-32 studs like the Remingtons get.

I install the stud swept back at an angle like the Remingtons. This improves the feel and looks of the Savage bolt a lot.

savagehandle.jpg
IMG_10781.jpg

IMG_10171.jpg

IMG_10121.jpg

IMG_10111.jpg

savageknob-handlecloseup.jpg

savageknobhandle.jpg

Any of my knob designs can be put on a Savage handle.

Here are some custom knob designs:

3 ringed Varminter knob on a fully Cerakote bolt, with my shroud modification done:
photo16.jpg

And another 3 ringed Varminter.
IMG_13071-1.jpg

Knurled 3 groove Varminter:
IMG_09481.jpg

IMG_09501.jpg

At this time however, I am not offering knurling. I have never felt a knurled knob I liked. You'd think knurling would be the ticket for bolt knobs but it doesnt seem so. It doesnt feel good unless wearing gloves and there's no benefit of extra grip.

No name design sent in by a customer. Its like a Varminter knob but with a longer nose angle, shorter body, and rounded rear edges.
IMG_09811.jpg

Below is the "Knubby" knob. Its barely longer than factory and a great idea for anyone needing a smaller, more practical knob on a hunting or scout rifle. Also visible in the pic is my shroud modification.
IMG_12691-1.jpg

Here's a Varminter knob installed on a .338Edge that was Cerakote by Brad Johns.
It has a 3 color camo job consisting of OD, FDE, and Black.
338Edge019.jpg

job.
338Edge024.jpg

Here is an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor that Brad Cerakoted:
IMG_11021.jpg

IMG_11011.jpg

This is an AICS coated by Brad in FDE. The Chassis was redone in Black.
IMG_13221.jpg

IMG_13201.jpg

IMG_13211.jpg

IMG_13191.jpg

Looks great Keith, so you would cerakote the entire bolt i am assuming? Stupid question I'm sure...

For the standard price of $90 we coat just the knob.

You can have the entire bolt Cerakoted for $30 extra, making it $125 total, shipping included.

A bolt getting fully Cerakoted that <span style="font-weight: bold">isn't</span> getting a knob installed too, is $40 plus shipping(shipping is only included with bolt knob installs)

Adding work like full bolt Cerakote or an aluminum firing pin assembly install to a bolt knob install doesn't require extra shipping since shipping is already paid from the knob install.

Anyone who posted pics in the past, feel free to post and give a review again. There were some good pics in the old thread, unfortunately I didn't save them all.

Thanks for the pic!

Anyone else feel free to do the same. Please give an honest review as well, with the good and the bad in it. Let us know what we're doing right, and where we can improve.
If you have any ideas for knob designs that you haven't seen done yet, feel free to share. Im always open to ideas.

Turn around time is 2-5 business days in shop for knob installs. We will be shipping twice a week.
Bolts getting the entire bolt coated have to dry for 4 days before we will reassemble them.
I do my best to keep firing pins and bolt parts in stock.

Thank you very much
Keith Johns, Phoenix Custom Rifles

Explanation of what a Remington "J-lock" is:

The two bolts pictured have the J-locked firing pin assemblies in them. Second firing pin assebmly up from the bottom is a factory, none J-locked assembly.
The assembly on bottom is an aftermarket PT&G assembly with a steel firing pin and aftermarket spring.
IMG_13141.jpg

Here is a pic of a J-locked assembly pulled from the bolt. Notice the bound up spring that rubs on the inside of the bolt body.
IMG_13171.jpg

If you have one of these J-lock assemblies on your bolt, its a good idea to replace them. You can get a steel or aluminum firing pin assembly. Getting an aluminum firing pin assembly will reduce weight by half, decrease locktime slightly, and remove the entire J-locked assembly.

Also be aware that there are factory assemblies out there that DONT have the external J-lock on them, BUT, they DO have all the same internals and are just as bad.

These assemblies have a shroud that is longer than normal factory assemblies. Thats how you can tell if you have one. If its shroud is longer than other factory shrouds you have.
If you think you have one, pull it from the bolt and see if the spring is all bound up like the picture above.

Re: Phoenix Custom Rifles work pics and reviews

Really like mine. Have to say so far the quality is great. Glad I got one. I do have to say though, on my rifle my second knuckle on my trigger finger is very close and sometimes touches the knob. Maybe it's because of the style of stock, a sporter style. I'm thinking that with a stock with more of a verticle pistol grip like an A-5 or AICS it might not interfer. Still it's ok cause I kinda use it as a reference for my finger.

Next time I would go with one you're showing above, the
"No name design sent in by a customer. Its like a Varminter knob but with a longer nose angle, shorter body, and rounded rear edges."

The middle joint of your trigger finger can sometimes touch depending on the person/rifle.

If this may be a problem, remember that the longer the nose angle the more clearance you have. So in theory the Marksman knob would provide the most clearance. And the Phoenix knob would have the least.

If your finger touches it, its not a problem as far as the rifle is concerned. Just a matter of comfort and feel.

One thing that will effect accuracy though is if your knob or handle touch your stock. You want your handle and knob to float, and not touch any part on the stock. The downward throw of your bolt handle should be stopped by the receiver.

If you ever notice your handle or knob touching your stock, or if its too close to be sure, relieve it so there's no doubt.

If anyone ever orders a knob and has a concern about it touching their finger, or their stock, and they feel a different knob design would better suit them, I would be happy to make up a knob to their specs and send it out free of charge.

We are now offering a new service.

We are now offering handle reinforcing with an 8-40 screw.

I install one 8-40 screw through the thick part of the handle, all the way through to the inside, trim the screw to length, then chuck up the bolt and use a boring bar to clean up the inside where the screw tip poked through. This way it's flush, and looks perfect. Boring the rear of the bolt body also helps smoothen bolt function by making it perfectly round. Remington bolt bodies are surprisingly oval shaped.

Price for 8-40 screw handle reinforcement is $35.

This includes refinishing on the handle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So for $130 I can install a knob, the 8-40 screw reinforcement, and Cerakote your handle/knob together.</span>

To add whole bolt coating to this it's $20 extra, making it $150 total for whole bolt Cerakote, knob install, and the 8-40 screw install to reinforce the handle.

For Stainless bolts I will try to locate some stainless 8-40 screws to use. Price is the same. Black screws in a Stainless bolt looks cool though.

Also available is the PCR shroud mod. I cut the two radius's on the shroud to have 60* angles off of centerline of the rifle. I think it looks great, especially with one of my aftermarket knobs on it because the knobs have similar looking angles.
This mod is $20 and includes Cerakote of the shroud.

photo-104.jpg

photo-106.jpg

Thank you very much

I'm gonna try to send you some work here soon. As soon as I figure out what I want done.

It's a 5R barreled action, might get it chopped and cerakoted.

Can you show a picture of your side bolt release?

I will be posting pics of the new bolt service and package we're offering very soon.

Side bolt release pics will be posted as soon as Ive done one.
Still drawing up jig designs and planning it out. Im waiting on threaded pins too. We wont be using the through hole pins. We will be drilling a blind hole from under the stock line that has a threaded pin in it. Looks much better that way.

I hope to have some side bolt releases installed by the end of the month.

Actually there are a couple actions here already to do em to.

I'll post pics when Ive done one. It may be a month or so.

Here is a before and after pic of a receiver I trued yesterday.
IMG_1480jpg.jpg

IMG_1489jpg.jpg

Here are some pics with the bolt done.

photo-100.jpg

This bolt is sporting a Phoenix bolt knob, the PCR shroud modification, and the 8-40 screw install through the handle to reinforce it. There was a Badger knob poorly installed on the bolt by someone else. I removed it and installed the Phoenix using the method of install we use. After blasting and Cerakote this bolt will look beautiful!

photo-103.jpg

photo-106.jpg

I dig it Keith, Im sure you will see my bolt again to have this done at some point.

Prices page on the website has been updated.

We're caught up with bolt work.
Rifle builds go until early September. If you want to get in line we would be starting on it within one month, and expect it to be done within 3 weeks of every part being delivered.

The majority of the wait time on builds is on parts. There are places to get top quality components ready to ship. Contact us to see what can be done.

Thank you very much

Nice work Keith! I'm going to have to bring my bolt over to get some work done and check out the new shop.

Keep up the good work.

Nice work Keith! I'm going to have to bring my bolt over to get some work done and check out the new shop.

Keep up the good work.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the pic Nick!
And sounds good Doug see ya soon.

Feel free to post pics and reviews guys. Thats what this is here for.

There were two pics and reviews threads in the past for work Ive done. Together they had thousands of posts from customers, every one positive. I had the threads deleted when they got too big or had out of date information throughout them.
This is the third pics and reviews thread. I do all the knob installs at Phoenix Custom Rifles, and did all of them at AZ Precision. Together Ive done just over 1000 installs and can honestly say I've had only one unpleased customer that I am aware of. 99% of those 1000 bolts were returned on time and met or exceeded expectations.
That is good business.

We really try to go the extra mile in the work we do. We keep our work load low and take our time. Its worth it to us to do less work, but have the work we do turn out perfectly and be done when we promised.
We take quality, and our promise to you about completion time, very seriously.

We figure that if we keep every customer as happy as possible, no matter what the cost to us, we will be successful.

Thank You very much

Remember that if you order a knob install from us, and decide a different knob would suit you better, I will send you out a new knob for free. I'll even pay for shipping. We want to make sure you have the best one possible for you. Customs are available too; we're all different.

If you have a knob install by us and in the future send in the rifle for work, we'll re-coat the knob and even whole bolt free of charge as warranty work.

If a scope if supplied with rifle at the time of the build or services done, we will mount and bore sight for free after test firing, so its ready for the range when you get it. All test firing is done with our own optics.

We want to offer unparalleled customer service.

A reminder guys...

Please include a note with your order that has at the very least, your name, number, return address, and a description of the work to be done.

I get bolts in all the time with no information at all. Just a bolt and a check. When this happens I dig through PMs and emails for about 20 minutes trying to find one that matches the name. After 20 minutes I have no choice but to set it aside and wait for a phone call. Not much else I can do. I will never assume what work is to be done, and I do not automatically ship back to return addresses on packages.

I get a lot of emails and a ton of phone calls. Please do not assume I will remember our conversation.

We're using the air cure. We've stuck with it so long because we can use it on scopes, stocks, and plastic parts. Plus its durability has never been in question. We're extremely happy with it. If people even consider Duracoat or KG, C-series Cerakote is a no brainer in my opinion. Not saying it's better, but it's as good. Dura<span style="text-decoration: underline">bake</span> falls short.

Probably switching to Polane(spelling?) soon for stock coatings.

We'll be getting an oven sometime this year to use H-series. It might be a small oven first, so we can bake small parts like bolts, brakes, etc. A full size rifle oven is in our plans as well though.

Here is a whole bolt done in FDE, with the handle reinforcing service. The knob is a Phoenix knob hollowed out and coated black.

004.jpg

Do you guys make a removable muzzle brake like the AI type? I have the FTE but on my next build it would be way to big. This next rifle will have a 16.5" barrel at .750, threaded.

Mark

No sir we don't actually manufacture any brakes.
If you have a design in mind, we may be able to help. If its simple enough we can make it
smile.gif

Nick, here are some pics from this weekend of your build.
Your barrel is tightened down, headspaced, AICS relieved for trigger and larger recoil lug, and scope rail on with its new 8-40s. The recoil lug was bored out to our tenon size and shortened to fit the AICS.

photo-117.jpg

Your thread protector:
photo-114.jpg

photo-118.jpg

photo-120.jpg

The flats on the sides of the thread protector are .749" wide. So any 3/4" wrench will fit it. The flats provide as much hand grip IMO as knurling, but again offers use of a standard wrench.

photo-115.jpg

photo-121.jpg

photo-119.jpg

We'll be putting flats on the sides of our thread protectors that will allow the use of standard size wrenches for loosening them.

Never use a wrench to tighten on your thread cap. The reason I'm making them work with standard wrench sizes is so that if one is stuck on, you can use a standard wrench and get it off easily without ruining it.
These things "thunk" on very tight just by hand.

If you get a thread protector installed and KNOW you wont be taking it off for several months, go ahead and give it a little love-snug-bump with the wrench. But dont make a habit of using a wrench on it please.

Lastly, please be very careful of the sharp edges on both the barrel shoulder and the thread cap shoulder. Their sharpness and squareness effect how seamless it appears, and the barrel tenon shoulder's squareness is important to your suppressor.

Itd probably be a good idea to keep the thread protector on tightly, as often as possible.

Nice work on the cap... a very clean job!

Nice work guys! The cap turned out great, can't wait to see this thing done!

Just wanted to say these guys are very knowledgable about what they do. Can't wait to get my build started with them.

What's up brad thought I'd join here to keep up with y'all . Thanx for all your help!

Would love to see pics of a Howa bolt. If you have one please post pics. Will the small tear drop style knob like the stiller work with the Howa bolt? The reason I ask is, I was told by another smith that it wouldn't due to a shoulder that is left at the top or the bolt knob ( where it transitions to the handle)when the handle is machined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kingsarsenal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wanted to say these guys are very knowledgable about what they do. Can't wait to get my build started with them.

What's up brad thought I'd join here to keep up with y'all . Thanx for all your help!</div></div>

Hey Jordan. Can't wait to get started on your build. Should be a really nice rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CnC1018</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would love to see pics of a Howa bolt. If you have one please post pics. Will the small tear drop style knob like the stiller work with the Howa bolt? The reason I ask is, I was told by another smith that it wouldn't due to a shoulder that is left at the top or the bolt knob ( where it transitions to the handle)when the handle is machined. </div></div>

It can be done. When I used to install those the first thing I did was plug the knob with an aluminum adapter threaded with my thread size on the inside and 5/16x24 on the outside.
You can blend any knob to anything if you know how
smile.gif

Those Stiller knobs are threaded differently than from what I use so I dont usually install those anymore. If you send one with the bolt I'll do it though. Price is still $95 because I have to make the plug/adapter I mentioned and do blending work. The handle often times must be Cerakoted as well.

I am offering Howa installs now.
If someone sends one in I'll have a pic to post
smile.gif

I can vouch for Keith's work, he did a Varminter knob on a Remington 700 and the work was outstanding! Have a new bolt to send in for an install and can't wait!

Reactions: Keith Johns

I was extremely happy with Keith and the recent work he did on my bolt and muzzle brake. The action cycles just as smooth as it did before I sent it in.

PCR will be getting my .270 J-lock bolt to enhance in the near future and will be my recommendation to anyone asking about my bolts at the range.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Reactions: Keith Johns