• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Phoenix Tactical bipod Spike footings finished

Cheese

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
CONUS
All,

Since we have been making Pod Claws for bipods we have always been working on a spike version.
What we wanted to do was make it simple, strong and easy to install.
Here is what will be out soon:
Trij002.jpg

Trij005-1.jpg

These Spike versions of Pod Claws will simply pin on a Harris style bipod.
Again, what I wanted was a footing that will stick like glue on off road surfaces yet make no changes to how a (Harris, Stoney Point, Versa-Pod etc...) style bipod works.
On the Harris notched style bipod these will lock up just like a standard Harris footing and be ready to spring down just like the original footing.
These are one piece hard anodized aluminum. They will come as a kit with replacement pins and be ready for a very simple install.
You may also notice that while these will easily load up on soft surfaces they will not stick you or your soft gear.

Re: P-Tac Spike footings are finished

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do they do on wood and concrete surfaces? </div></div>

Good question.
Not being rubber they may slide on concrete.
I have shot them off of a wood bench and wood window sills with no worries. No wood shredding yet they will support the rifle no sweat.
We are looking into a simple slip over rubber footing that will handle concrete, steel decks etc..
Slip on slip off depending on your AO.

Thank you,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">really nice ... where/how to get? </div></div>

You will be able to get the Spikes at:

www.phoenixtactical.com

And through a great Vendor here on the Hide:

www.triadtactical.com
Steve is highly recommended!

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those look great, I need two pair. </div></div>

We have reserved some machine time for these.
Hope to get them in the works very soon.

Thank you,

I'm confused on these. What do they do/have to offer over the OEM rubber feet which come standard on Harris bipods?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Uncivilized</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused on these. What do they do/have to offer over the OEM rubber feet which come standard on Harris bipods? </div></div>

I've always wondered the same. <span style="color: #FF0000">For the amount of load appropriate</span> for what we shoot, I can't think of any surface in which rubber feet could be outperformed by spikes.

With that being said, I would also say that rubber feet actually outperform spikes on a number of surfaces.

So the big question: Where is there a need for spikes that rubber falls short?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Uncivilized</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused on these. What do they do/have to offer over the OEM rubber feet which come standard on Harris bipods? </div></div>

First of all no product is for everyone.
We have been asked about these for quite some time now.

Take standard rubber footings and place them in dirt grass etc. Don't hold for a load up at all.
Watch shooters at matches kicking "Tactical Heel Marks" into the earth so they can load up their bipods.
Take again the same shooters and see them constantly moving around between shots to get back on target.
Using a spike footing that is allowable for F-Class FTR shooting can and will help a shooter shooting off something other than concrete such as a dirt or grass firing line.

Other uses are pretty apparent.

Exactly, I shoot on hard dirt in the hills here, and I get a lot of slide from the rubber feet. These, or some type of sharper foot than the stock rubber will do wonders.

just do me a favour and provide rubber caps that can be pushed over them together with the spikes. then you can please both the rubber- and the spike-customers at once

well. and i'd really have to order at least one pair
wink.gif

Excellent Idea cheese. I was still looking for something like this design. A simple solid install with the versatility of adding a rubber slip on pad for when you need it.

Do these make the bipod longer at all? Sometimes I shoot off of my Harris at its minimum setting i.e. 6"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Uncivilized</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused on these. What do they do/have to offer over the OEM rubber feet which come standard on Harris bipods? </div></div>

First of all no product is for everyone.
We have been asked about these for quite some time now.

Take standard rubber footings and place them in dirt grass etc. Don't hold for a load up at all.
Watch shooters at matches kicking "Tactical Heel Marks" into the earth so they can load up their bipods.
Take again the same shooters and see them constantly moving around between shots to get back on target.
Using a spike footing that is allowable for F-Class FTR shooting can and will help a shooter shooting off something other than concrete such as a dirt or grass firing line.

Other uses are pretty apparent.

</div></div>

What Cheese said. I had two heel holes dug at my last F class match deep enough that a softball could be buried in.
I'll be getting a couple sets of these. Thanks.

Very nice, Ring. The functional home fabricated stuff is always very cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do these make the bipod longer at all? Sometimes I shoot off of my Harris at its minimum setting i.e. 6" </div></div>

Great question.
Being as the spikes would be in the ground/shooting surface there would be <span style="text-decoration: underline">NO</span> height added to the bipod.
These footings mirror the existing the Harris, Versa etc... footings outer dimensions. Except the "Spikey" part.
grin.gif

Thank you

sorry but is it just me or do the spikes not show up yet on phoenixtactical?

a link to phoenix and/or triad would be highly appreciated.

They have not yet shipped from Phoenix yet. I'll let Scott keep us informed on timeline info. I will get an entry up on Triad as soon as I have enough info.

Great looking product. My rubber bipod feet slip all over the place in the Eastern AL pine straw. They'd work great for my stick. Tagging for future looks...

waiting for them to be available at triad. then i could please a larger order again ...

I'm still waiting for regular podclaws to be in stock somewhere. The Phoenix site has shown them as sold out for MONTHS, and Triad doesn't have any either.

I'm curious why so much R&D into a new product when there is clear difficulty in producing stock of existing products.. ??

I've been looking for the regular claws as well. I missed a set on here about 3 weeks ago by a couple of hours.