• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Phosphate vs bluing

alpine007

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Another newbie question.....

I'm homing in on a new Sako TRG 42. What are the ads/disads of phosphate versus bluing? This is my first "big" gun, and the phosphate thing is new to me. Thanks for any input.

Re: Phosphate vs bluing

the phosphate i'm thinking is commonly known as parkerizing. parkerizing is way more durable and weather resistant than bluing. it is a soft, matte finish.

Anyone have any clue who does parkerizing.And is it as durable as duracoating.Also can this be done by a individual or is a baked on process?

You can parkerize yourself. It's very durable but only works on carbon steel, no go on stainless. It helps hold protective oil well.
Look at the bolt carrier on an AR.

Brownells sells the solution.

Your limiting factor will be the size of stainless steel tank you can get heat a chemical bath to near boiling temps.
I used steam table trays and a coleman stove with success on shorter barrels.

You'll need to have a media blaster handy as well. Prepwork is everything.

I've done a few FALs before.

At some point it's cheaper to send it off to have it done.

It was fun though.

Duracoat likes a textured finish to adhere to. A blasted finish with aluminum oxide, or over a parkerized finish does well.
YMMV-Rob