• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photo of a Listed M40 Sniper Receiver

mjmd11

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2018
Doing some research. Need a clean photo of the serial U.S. stamp side of a six digit listed M40 sniper rifle receiver. . The only one I have ever seen is in Senich's "One Round War" . Already scoured most of the M40 strings

A 1969 M40 receiver popped up in the CMP auction site in the recent past. I doubt the U.S. roll mark changed b/t 1966 M40 and the 1969 M40s.

Attachments

• USAF_M40_CMP_auction.JPG
    USAF_M40_CMP_auction.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 152
thanks so much for taking the time to look, although it does not help with the six digits receiver research. the roll mark on a seven is a bit different. i will keep this in the file and compare it to other legit seven digit receivers when I go back to that topic. I would love to get photos of one 66, 67, and 68 rifle

Trust me, the "U.S." stamp is the same size and font on the 1966-69 M40s - as Remington stamped them per the drawings. That spec didn't change, just the font of the serial numbers when the serial number went to seven digits long circa 1969. Here's the original six-digit M40 I took of a pic of years ago at PWS Quantico, but my pic is not as clear as the CMP auction site pics. It's the same stamp seen on the 1969 M40s. Just an fyi.

(BTW, the most odd-ball and ad hoc "US" stamp I have seen was on a C-prefix M40A1 that I shot at Quantico back in 2018. It was clearly an ad hoc engraving that a MOS 2112 did back in the 1990s. Not all C-prefixes have that hand-engraving. Just an random observation).

Attachments

• IMG_3531.JPG
    IMG_3531.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 239
  • USMC_M40A1_C_prefix_close-up_Sept_2018.jpg
    USMC_M40A1_C_prefix_close-up_Sept_2018.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 219
  • USMC_M40A1_C_prefix_Sept_2018.jpg
    USMC_M40A1_C_prefix_Sept_2018.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
thanks so much for that m40 photo. loved the US on the m40a1 . proof positive there are no rules in the c series. thanks again for taking the time to help.

@mjmd11 Do you have a 6 digit you're looking to build into a M40 clone? Saw an old 6 digit at a local gs but like most things that old it was pretty beat up. Still deciding if it's worth picking up. Barrel code indicates June of 1967.

IMG_0433.JPG

Reactions: camocorvette
I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Im in the market for a period correct M40 as well as an M40A1 receiver for builds. I have original
Stocks and optics for both. Need everything else. Looking to build as close to original as possible with GI parts of able. PM if you have something. Thanks

-receivers
- scope base (for both M40 and A1)
-rings (for M40)
-barrels