• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photobucket Time Capsule

Maser

Trump 2024
Minuteman
  • May 17, 2006
    /pol/
    www.youtube.com
    So earlier this morning I finally got tired of Photobucket and their threatening emails to me saying they're gonna delete all my pics and account if I don't start paying a monthly fee. I been uploading pics there since 2004 and the last time I uploaded there was 2019. So I decided it was time to just take back all 1,800+ pics I been posting over the years and let them do what they want with my account. Obviously it all gets downloaded to a .zip file. Going through all the pics in the folder is like a total time capsule. I felt like that scene in Christmas Vacation where Clark is locked in the attic and getting all sentimental over the old home movies he found. The pics I saw again was a total mindfuck! My wife and I when we were just young teens. My little brother when he was like 5. Both of my kids when they were very new. Screenshots from various games that I don't even remember why I took them. Etc., etc., etc.

Photobucket can suck a huge e-dick for their threatening emails, but they did give me the initiative to finally take all my pics back and keep them where they belong.

I get those email notices also. Every now and again I sign in to my account just to let them know I haven't died. I don't link any of my photos to the Photobucket account - although some posts from long ago do have the watermark on the photos I did post.

I have the original of every photo I have ever posted to my account . . . so their threats to delete them are not effective.

My plan? I am waiting for Photobucket to build that great big huge building they will need to house the server that stores my photos. Hopefully they will name it after me.

@Maser For the longest time photo bucket held my photos hostage. Either I could not log in or their payment page would not work. Thanks to your post I was able to log in today, pay the $3.00 and download pics dating back to 2005. you're right about the time capsule, it was cool seeing what I was into listed in chronological order.

I've often pondered why people complain about a free online hosting service changing their terms. If you aren't paying for it, you are the product being sold. If you get value from storing them "in the cloud", then expect to pay for it.

@Maser For the longest time photo bucket held my photos hostage. Either I could not log in or their payment page would not work. Thanks to your post I was able to log in today, pay the $3.00 and download pics dating back to 2005. you're right about the time capsule, it was cool seeing what I was into listed in chronological order.

Around the time Photobucket started up their paywall, they were also experimenting with a new beta version of their site which essentially lead to there being 2 separate sites even though it technically was the same site. That resulted in one site not working while the other one did with logins. That's probably why you had problems logging in. Anyways, glad to hear you got your pics back as well. It's crazy that we all got phones that take pics and vids and we can fill up a micro-SD card in no time and what do we do with all the pics and vids? We just put them somewhere and forget about them.

Reactions: MJF
    I've often pondered why people complain about a free online hosting service changing their terms. If you aren't paying for it, you are the product being sold. If you get value from storing them "in the cloud", then expect to pay for it.

It's mainly the property control aspect of it. Not sure if you're a parent or not, but in this example you are one. Say for instance the only copy you have of the vid of your first child being born is stored on a site that you thought was free so you stored it there for the time being and then when you want to access it to get a copy back and they deny you access to something sensitive as the birth of your child, it's gonna rub you the wrong way isn't it?

It's mainly the property control aspect of it. Not sure if you're a parent or not, but in this example you are one. Say for instance the only copy you have of the vid of your first child being born is stored on a site that you thought was free so you stored it there for the time being and then when you want to access it to get a copy back and they deny you access to something sensitive as the birth of your child, it's gonna rub you the wrong way isn't it?
    I am a parent. So I have all my pics and video of my daughter on (multiple) local storage devices, one at my ex's in a safe.

I'll just repeat that there is no such thing as "free".

Photobucket appears to have close to $100 million annual operating costs, and that's dated information. They don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Oh man do you all remember this pic? You guys gave me so much shit for my Transformers comforter back then! :ROFLMAO:

c96ccfff.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette