• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pic Request: USO Mil Scale MPR reticle at 22x

Falar

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Midland, TX
I have a 3.2-17 with this reticle but am interested in possibly steppiing up to the 3.8-22x but wonder differently this reticle substends with the increased maginfication.

Any help would be great.

Re: Pic Request: USO Mil Scale MPR reticle at 22x

it's FFP, thus the reticle would subtend the same regardless of magnification. If you feel it obscures too much at 17X, it will obscure just as much at 22X (no more, no less). At 22X the target will appear larger but so will the reticle to the same degree.

BTW I also have this reticle in a 3-17. If I had my wish, I would like USO to thin down the center crosshair (from 1/2mil to 1/2mil) to the thinnest line weight they have. That would make centering up on a 3/4-1moa dot easier. As it is, the reticle is a bit too thick for my taste.

USO are you listening?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's FFP, thus the reticle would subtend the same regardless of magnification. If you feel it obscures too much at 17X, it will obscure just as much at 22X (no more, no less). At 22X the target will appear larger but so will the reticle to the same degree. </div></div>

I guess I picked the wrong term because you are correct that it will substend the same no matter what.

I'm interested in seeing how thick the reticle appears and how much of it you see at 22x compared to 17x.

I guess I had substend stuck in my mind because when inquiring about certain reticles not being available on some SN-3s (with different magnification ranges) the answer I was given was that they didn't subtend correctly with the different power range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BTW I also have this reticle in a 3-17. If I had my wish, I would like USO to thin down the center crosshair (from 1/2mil to 1/2mil) to the thinnest line weight they have. That would make centering up on a 3/4-1moa dot easier. As it is, the reticle is a bit too thick for my taste.

USO are you listening? </div></div>

That is a nice idea, but I think I'd prefer an open center with a VERY fine dot like the MP8A5 reticle that John Boyette designed for the IOR 3-18 FFP scope.

As it is I have no problems with it. I had a 3.5-15x56 NXS with NP-R1 and that reticle was so fine I had trouble finding it all the time. I much prefer the MPR reticle from USO. I can see where you would want something finer for shooting extremely small targets, but since this a scope for "tactical" shooting I imagine the thickness is just fine for hits on human torsos out to extended ranges and was designed with this purpose in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

USO are you listening? </div></div>

That is a nice idea, but I think I'd prefer an open center with a VERY fine dot like the MP8A5 reticle that John Boyette designed for the IOR 3-18 FFP scope.

As it is I have no problems with it. I had a 3.5-15x56 NXS with NP-R1 and that reticle was so fine I had trouble finding it all the time. I much prefer the MPR reticle from USO. I can see where you would want something finer for shooting extremely small targets, but since this a scope for "tactical" shooting I imagine the thickness is just fine for hits on human torsos out to extended ranges and was designed with this purpose in mind. </div></div>

I agree, I wouldn't want to thin down the whole reticle, just the center section. The NPR1 is nice but too fine for my eyes for regular use.

As for how much of the reticle you would see at 22X, I can't tell you with the MPR, but I have looked through 3.8-22's with other reticles and I'm pretty sure you could see down to 10mils/~40moa but it is at the very bottom of the FOV. Very unlikely I would "hold" 10mils, so it's not an issue with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO are you listening? </div></div>

Loud and clear.

To get that any thinner we would have to go with a non-lit crosshair in the center, much like our RDP reticles. This reticle was designed to be completely lit(per customer's request), so that is why it is what it is.

It runs us about $1000 every time we make a new reticle design, but if we had enough people that wanted it we would do it. And remember that every magnification requires a different sized reticle.
John III