• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing picaatinny rail mounting question

AIdog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2013
NLT, NV
www.indiandogs.com
sorry if this is a newbie question, but i want to know if i need to use thread locker or gun glue for mounting a picatinny rail to an action? I have been using the "uncle mikes" blue thread locker on the screws and under the rail too. My biggest complaint is that when i pull the rail off the glue is very hard to remove and is all over the top of the action. Is there another glue that is easier to remove or a solvent to remove the glue (I've tried everything to try to remove the glue)... OR do i even need to glue the rail at all? again sorry but i am just not that experienced with this matter and would appreciate some help...

Well, I always bed a scope base and believe it's the best way to go. Many will argue though that it's just not necessary. A simple trick is to use shoe polish as a release agent when bedding so that if/when you decide to remove your base it will easily pop off your action (just do a search on "bedding a scope mount.) I usually use an epoxy such as JB Weld but I have heard of using Loctite (similar to your "thread Locker."

This might help http://www.murphyprecision.com/Page/Scope_Base_Bedding

All depends on the quality of your mount. Blue loctite will be just fine when used on a quality mount, mostly to keep out moisture and grime. Mounts of lesser quality may need to be bedded to ensure enough contact to the action to stay in one place. Also use a torque wrench to achieve the manufacturers recommended values.

thanks! And FYI the reason why I'm taking the rail off is because its getting rebarreled is that necessary to get chucked in lathe for chambering/fitting? Also for my savage i change the barrels myself and to get the nut off and swap the barrel the rail has to come off (going to try and cut the rail short enough to not have to remove)... I'll definitely check out the shoe polish release agent method sounds like that might be the ticket!

Last edited:
All depends on the quality of your mount. Blue loctite will be just fine when used on a quality mount, mostly to keep out moisture and grime. Mounts of lesser quality may need to be bedded to ensure enough contact to the action to stay in one place. Also use a torque wrench to achieve the manufacturers recommended values.

this is a nightforce rail and toques to specs with the borka