• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Picatinny 20 MOA one piece Base ?

TexasGuns

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Texas
I have a starting point working on my first "precision" rifle.
This is where I am, so far I have a R700 SPS AAC-SD to start with.
HS Precision stock on the way. Now I need a scope base.

Because I'm not a gunsmith I like easy drop in and don't like the idea of having to build or bed up the base with epoxy, such I have seen this around the forums.

I know of some names Badger, Night Force, EGW etc.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Who makes a one piece picatinny 20 MOA base for a R700 SPS SA that will be closest to a <span style="font-style: italic">true</span> fit to my reciever?</span>

Yes, I understand markmanship fundamentals, but I am a newbie some what to bolt guns and for that matter also LR shooting outside of lets say 600 yards. I still have scope and rings in my decision making process for this rifle. I'm making an effort to get things right by asking for your experience and opinions.

If I have posted in the wrong forum please redirect me, thanks for any input.

Re: Picatinny 20 MOA one piece Base ?

How did the base fit? did you have to build up the rear of the base with epoxy?

Bishop,

It's not the quality of the base that matters, it's the variance that is inevitable in Remington receivers. EGW, Night Force, Badger, et. al. make quality bases that are true. The Remington receivers will exhibit variable degrees of 'waviness.' I have used EGW and Night Force that fit great out of the box. I have also had to epoxy bed some. You won't be able to tell until you try to fit one to your receiver. (Same thing when putting a Remington into a bedding block stock, ie. AICS or your HS Precision).

Put it together and shoot it. If it shoots better than you do, you're golden. If not, start bedding stuff.

thanks for the your input. I have something to go on now.

One more question on the bases. What type(s) screw would my model need? I have seen where manufacturers have specified.
I'm about to order my base and wanted to be sure the correct one shows up to my door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bishop3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the your input. I have something to go on now.

One more question on the bases. What type(s) screw would my model need? I have seen where manufacturers have specified.
I'm about to order my base and wanted to be sure the correct one shows up to my door. </div></div>

the factory holes are 6/48 i believe. just don't get the ones that specify they are for 8/40 holes.

Screws come with the base, at least every base I've bought came with them.

Was concerning size of screws as to fit my reciever thanks.

Give Cameron a call at Murphy's precision high quality bases!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ackleyfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give Cameron a call at Murphy's precision high quality bases! </div></div>

+1

I got one and it fit perfectly on my SPS tactical, plus the quality is fantastic.