• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picatinny rail for Vortex Venom 5-25x56

drk4madz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2024
United States
Hi, I have a Savage Axis 2 Precision chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 20 moa picatinny rail and I recently bought a Vortex Venom 5-25x56 in mils paired with a 34mm high rings from Leupold. I was trying to boresight the new scope using a laser boresight at about 35-40 yards but I found my elevation turret maxed out and the laser sitting at the 11 mils mark. Should I upgrade to a 40 moa picatinny rail or should I do something else ? Thank you.

Attachments

• vtx_ven-52501_ebr-7c_moa_rs_i_ri_fv_v2.png
    vtx_ven-52501_ebr-7c_moa_rs_i_ri_fv_v2.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 12
Throw away that laser bore-sight. Remove the bolt and setup rifle so that you can look down the bore towards target without making contact with rifle. Adjust scope to the same point on the target that you see through bore.

Please do yourself a favor and throw that laser boresight in the trash.

If you don't want to start with physically looking down the bore buy one of the grid in lense/bore spigot kits. I use one on every scope I setup and its the easiest way to do it, good on stuff like semi-auto/straight pull/pump where it's non trivial to look through the bore too.

20240128_190944.jpg

20240128_191021.jpg

You want a 20 or 30 MOA unimount to get the most from that scope too. The Athon ones seem to be best value here in Australia.

20MOA rail should put you about 1.3MIL under centre on elevation on most regular scope/rifke combinations unless something is wonky.